• Verbal warning

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Written warning

Votes: 45 57.7%
  • Termination

Votes: 13 16.7%

• Total voters

Overpaid Union Thug

I believe both people were wrong. In Kentucky, which I live relatively close to, the police would pull the guy with the camera over for riding in the passing lane just as fast as they would have pulled the Feeder over because in Kentucky you aren't supposed to cruise in that lane. This all boils down to common courtesy. If you are in someone's way...GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!. Also...if someone is in your way don't tailgate. It's equally annoying and dangerous. It's that simple.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I would set the blame at 50% each. The news driver should be aware of encroaching traffic and move to the right. The feeder driver should see the slower traffic and adjust his actions to fit the situation. If this were the first time for the feeder, I would put a written letter in his file for 6 months if there is notinhg in the union rules as a way of dealing with such actions. The other driver is not UPS concern, and as a news person will sensationalize the stuation for the good of the news station. UPS should set the standard.

tieguy

Banned
Well maybe you should try this? Well actually don't because you probably would be arrested! Walking around shooting at people?

You probably drive everyday like most of us and you should get fired just for making this comparison. You didn't hit anyone either speeding to work or running next day airs by 10:30 but you should be fired anyway. The driver was clearly in a hurry to make time commitments for the company! This driver of the car probably drives in blind spot too and when he gets cut off he doesn't know why!

You don't make any sense!

Sorry...

Just curious . Do you have any idea how much that driver endangered the general public driving like that? If that car stops suddenly or has a blow out then that tractor trailer will do a lot of damage and possibly kill a lot of people before he comes to a stop. Would you feel the same way if your wife and kids were in the car being tailgated and then cut off from the front? take your gut out of the us vs them crap and put your family in that situation then tell me whats right and wrong.

At the same time the reporter driving that car knowingly created a hazardous situation to do his new story.

Thus I say fire em both.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Who's the professional?

We make allowances for the lack of skill or mistakes of others.

Always treat the other vehicles like there was a loved one inside.

Leave yourself an out.

Progressive discipline for the feeder driver.

Invite the station to put an on board camera in a feeder & pkg car to see what UPS drivers have to put up with every day and then do another report!

1timepu

1 He was not saying he needed one, he said he deliberatly made one. Big difference. Now everybody is passing him and pulling in front of him again, getting rid of his space cushion.

And yes, I was on the safety committee. and I do believe in using the cushion. But to allways drive 10 MPH below the speed limmit is just as bad safety wise as driving 10 above.

2 as far as the 80 MPH statement, two different times and places. That was my personal experience around Hotlanta at 2am.

d

Acually I do what I do so I can arrive home ALIVE, Do you realize in most states the truck limit is different then what is posted on the highway? I drive in the NYC area which is way busier than Atlanta. Yes people do pull in front of me but by the time they pull over they are already a football field away and the distance increase's with every second. SAFETY is my biggest concern, If I am late for a sort it is not beause of me it is usually because of the sort, besides how much quicker are you going to arrive going 5-10 miles faster than me?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
the truck limit is different then what is posted on the highway?
And if the posted speed limit is not what the truck driver is suposed to be doing, how the heck is he suposed to know?:happy-very:

Actually, I understand what you were trying to say. The posted speed limit for trucks is different than the posted speed limit for cars in some areas. Ours for one. And ask any state trooper. When that happens, the accident rate increases for cars slamming into the rear of the larger trucks. Especially when it is 10 MPH or greater difference, like it is here.

BTW, in our area the speed limit was reduced by a gooberment official that stated "I dont know if it will decrease the polution of the bigger trucks or not, but we need to do it anyway because it is the right thing to do." Kinda like all the global warming freaks, gotta do all this BS cause the world is getting too warm. Yeah right! But I digress.

But in the area the video was taken, not so.

I again state, that those that deliberatly drive 10 MPH slower than the posted speed limit for no other reason than they do, are just a big a traffic issue as those that go 10 above. You have made your vehicle an obstruction. You can try and hide behind safety if you want, but you know better than that.

d

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
i think the feeder driver was wrong, but in response to the speed limit comment,the speed limit,is the limit.You can drive under it as long as you don't go under the limit wich on most interstates is 45 mph minimum speed. I agree with the other poster and I usually do 61/63 on a good clear nite '''stay back and see it all'''
best piece of advice u.p.s teaches you!!! if i'm running t/o [bob tail] or just a dolly, i keep it at 55 in slow lane!!! saftey issue that dolley will bounce bad thus causing a severe problem in an unplanned braking situation!!!!!

Tony31yrs

How can anyone complain about the reporter? It may be aggravating if he is "only" doing the speed limit while everyone else is speeding, but he is obeying the law when there are three lanes. A cop doesn't have to stop the fastest driver, but only a driver that is speeding. I learned in a defensive driving course that a cop will only pull over a car if it is safe to do so. If three cars in a row are speeding, he may pull over the third one if it is safer. Next time you get stopped for speeding, try telling the cop that everyone else was speeding and see how far that gets you.
The driver was kind of stupid to be tailgating and cutting off a car anyway. People look for things to call in on when it's a big company like UPS. We had package car drivers get called into the office for ridiculous complaints. Did he think that they wouldn't notice the huge UPS emblem on the truck?

rod

Retired 22 years
Most Cops will pull over anyone they want to- not just the "safest one" Take 3 speeding vehicals in a line -1. an old grandma-2. a guy picking his nose- 3. a young good looking gal in a mini skirt. Sorry Missy - your going to get a talking to. ( I know a couple of retired State Troopers and that was concidered a perk of the job):happy2: Now a female Cop- they just plain hate everyone.:happy-very:

paidslave

Just curious . Do you have any idea how much that driver endangered the general public driving like that? If that car stops suddenly or has a blow out then that tractor trailer will do a lot of damage and possibly kill a lot of people before he comes to a stop. Would you feel the same way if your wife and kids were in the car being tailgated and then cut off from the front? take your gut out of the us vs them crap and put your family in that situation then tell me whats right and wrong.

At the same time the reporter driving that car knowingly created a hazardous situation to do his new story.

Thus I say fire em both.

There you go again laying out lots of senario playing on emotions. Suggesting if my children ir loved ones are dead.

I agree I wouldn't want anyone to die over stupidity! But to surmise and basically say,"if you would like your kids to remain alive, agree that this is the guy who killed them and fire him or better yet hang him."

This quote is untrue.

Again, you don't sell me much here but only draws on fear of what could have happen without keeping things in perpective in which did not happened.

Written warning max to change this stupid act of conduct and some stupidity counseling!

I forgot you are a perfect angel, and so, you have done nothing stupid to deserve enlightement or understanding to change anything about you!

You were born the TIEGUY>>>

I suggest: Lets Fire the cameraman for causing strife, Lets correct this this type of aggresssive driving with a talk with the driver along with a written warning and some managememt radar!

Tie? You are only a 14 percenter and I am a 64 percenter according to the poll as it stand so good luck with your psyche!

Last edited:

SmithBarney

Actually after re-watching the video..
The driver did everything right

Aim High in Steering (He was looking to drive right over the reporters van)
Get the big Picture, (How better than to get a big picture of your UPS GRILL on TV)
Keep your eyes Moving, (He was obviously looking very hard to get around this clown)
Leave yourself an out (He took the Expressway right OUT of UPS)
Make sure they see you (Using his lights and truck everyone saw him, including UPS)

I'm pretty sure, that if he was fired, I doubt that the Union would fight for him, I know I wouldn't.

1timepu

And if the posted speed limit is not what the truck driver is suposed to be doing, how the heck is he suposed to know?:happy-very:

Actually, I understand what you were trying to say. The posted speed limit for trucks is different than the posted speed limit for cars in some areas. Ours for one. And ask any state trooper. When that happens, the accident rate increases for cars slamming into the rear of the larger trucks. Especially when it is 10 MPH or greater difference, like it is here.

BTW, in our area the speed limit was reduced by a gooberment official that stated "I dont know if it will decrease the polution of the bigger trucks or not, but we need to do it anyway because it is the right thing to do." Kinda like all the global warming freaks, gotta do all this BS cause the world is getting too warm. Yeah right! But I digress.

But in the area the video was taken, not so.

I again state, that those that deliberatly drive 10 MPH slower than the posted speed limit for no other reason than they do, are just a big a traffic issue as those that go 10 above. You have made your vehicle an obstruction. You can try and hide behind safety if you want, but you know better than that.

d

Guess what Car speed limit 65...Truck speed limit 60 my speed 55 and I stay in the right, and I am not trying to HIDE behind safety, as I have said 20 YEARS OF SAFE DRIVING!!!!!!!! Safety is number one with me, last fall pulling doubles across the Cross Bronx( busiest highway in the country) lost air to rear trailer........good thing I was riding in right lane plus slower than the traffic, was able to pull over to the side and no accident!!! You can think waht you want but I know why I do what I do, and that is so I dont kill anybody, and I dont kill myself.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
always 5 to 10 below the speed limit

THe conversation was at a speed limit of 65, with you doing 55 on that roadway.

At 10MPH less than the posted speed limit for your vehicle, you become a hazzard to traffic. At only 10MPH below that, you are prohibited from even using the roadway.

In your last post, you are now trying to qualify your position to match the common concensus that driving too slow is a real hazzard. You are trying to tell us that it is only 5 MPH below posted, different from your first post quoted above.

Now, you are in the far right lane, screaming along at 55 in a 65. All the other big rigs only have the middle lane to pass you in, and there is a schmuck in that lane that will not use the car lane, or move into the right lane when it is clear and he is not passing. What are they to do? I guess by default, they all have to go 10 MPH under the speed limit, causing traffic to back up and become bumper to bumper. And we all know what happens when traffic becomes bumper to bumper.

IF your driving skills stop at 55, thats fine. You are in your comfort zone. We dont want to upset you with the suggestion that you are going too slow. But dont take on that super rightious attitude that you have 20 years safe driving because you do 55. That is a crock.

d

1timepu

THe conversation was at a speed limit of 65, with you doing 55 on that roadway.

At 10MPH less than the posted speed limit for your vehicle, you become a hazzard to traffic. At only 10MPH below that, you are prohibited from even using the roadway.

In your last post, you are now trying to qualify your position to match the common concensus that driving too slow is a real hazzard. You are trying to tell us that it is only 5 MPH below posted, different from your first post quoted above.

Now, you are in the far right lane, screaming along at 55 in a 65. All the other big rigs only have the middle lane to pass you in, and there is a schmuck in that lane that will not use the car lane, or move into the right lane when it is clear and he is not passing. What are they to do? I guess by default, they all have to go 10 MPH under the speed limit, causing traffic to back up and become bumper to bumper. And we all know what happens when traffic becomes bumper to bumper.

IF your driving skills stop at 55, thats fine. You are in your comfort zone. We dont want to upset you with the suggestion that you are going too slow. But dont take on that super rightious attitude that you have 20 years safe driving because you do 55. That is a crock.

d

How many years you got?? I contribute my safe driving years to HOW I DRIVE!

G

get it there

OMG !!! You are really professional drivers ???
Speed Limit means Maximun speed allowed for that road in ANY lane.
Here let's rephase this example.
If your wife and children were killed by this idiot PROFESSIONAL DRIVER while driving the speed limit ,would you really say
"Well she should have moved to the RIGHT"
"Maybe he was in a hurry to use the bathroom"
"She wasn't moving with the flow of traffic"
"I hate whan people set there cruise control for the speed limit"
"She should have know better,Crazy to drive the speed limit in the middle"
Thank God you drivers are out there being professional and making sure my FAMILY of NON_PROFESSIONAL love ones make it home!!!!!!!!!!

UPS Lifer

The favorite choice here is failure to follow instructions.
They dont have to use this incident to fire him. They will just use typical UPS tactics when they need to remove an employee and start thier game plan.

There you go with the conspiracy theory that management is out to get all non-management! Because of the TV exposure, discipline would need to be swift. A covert operation to go after this driver would not make the point necessary to set the example. I know you know this!!!

As you already know, I don't think you should fire someone just because UPS got embarrassed on local TV.

This is where the union comes into play. I stand by what I say. Gross negligence will be hard to prove. Therefore the case for termination is hard to prove. There was no injury or accident. A good BA should be able to throw enough doubt out there to eliminate a decision of termination.

I would not allow hypotheticals to come into play! Stay with the facts and the video - throw in some remorse and the case is won.

If it were your wife and kids out there and if someone got killed and if the feeder hit a car there could be a chain reaction....

They weren't -no one did - there was none!

Warn the driver and retrain him. Why do we always look for the worst in our people. I will bet the driver kicked himself in the butt after he realized what he did. End of story!

If he has another unsafe act .... well he becomes fair game and grounds for termination have been established.