April 2018 pay action (On Topic Please)

dex 84

You have said over and over "You got yours" and kept harping on the less than topped out people falling farther behind. Now they made a plan to move people up that aren't topped out and people complain. Your story just confirmed what I said. I NEVER said topped out got screwed. I understand the reason of the bonus. I would rather have a raise but I will take whatever they give me. Meanwhile whiners cry and whine. Nothing unexpected.

I wasn't here for it but plenty of employees spent 15 or so years not moving closer to being topped out. It's hard to make up for that after the fact.

Oldfart

You can't undo what was done. Like I said, they moved everyone up a step and NOW people that are topped out are whining. If they gave topped out a raise, 9 steps would complain. Most on here are gonna complain whatever happens.

SmithBarney

It's ok they make too much anyhow, it's about time many are dead weight.. years of getting further and further away have stopped, maybe they are hoping for some retirement.

Yup, can't spin this any other way. Top out employees just took a huge paycut for the rest of their years here.

Last edited:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The 'bonus' for those who have topped out isn't something new.
If you are unfamiliar with what TRIPP is, find an old timer and ask them.

SmithBarney

Give people more money than they expected to get and they complain. Gotta love it.
I think most people were expecting more, when news releases say "wage increases" people expect a raise, not for raises to be moved up, some may have said "accelerated" Well it accelerates, then stalls.. So yes it's nice, but mearly a shell game. And the Topped couriers will be ticked, tough luck this time round.

Gone fishin

You can't undo what was done. Like I said, they moved everyone up a step and NOW people that are topped out are whining. If they gave topped out a raise, 9 steps would complain. Most on here are gonna complain whatever happens.
I agree with you on something’s but not this. I appreciate the raise , but for years non topped out employees have been grossly underpaid compared to the topped out employees. They could have done more with 1.5 billion and it’s not like it’s the last year the tax cuts are taking place. What happens to the money next year ?

Oldfart

I agree with you on something’s but not this. I appreciate the raise , but for years non topped out employees have been grossly underpaid compared to the topped out employees. They could have done more with 1.5 billion and it’s not like it’s the last year the tax cuts are taking place. What happens to the money next year ?
Worry about next year then. They can't give raises based on savings for fiscal '20. Some of the tax cuts are for only 3 years are so. Deducting equipment cost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I have been told forever on here that topped out people need to make sacrifices for the good of the people that are not topped out. Tex, MFE and Operational said it is our duty to look out for less paid people and sacrifice for their needs. I guess nobody else shares that thought.
You’re BSing here. None of them said that. It is the responsibility of FedEx Corp. to do that but instead they’ve chosen the “divide and conquer” philosophy all these years. And you OF, I’ll bet you spend a lot of time in your manager’s office showing him or her all of your “wonderful” posts here defending this crapola.

Oldfart

You’re BSing here. None of them said that. It is the responsibility of FedEx Corp. to do that but instead they’ve chosen the “divide and conquer” philosophy all these years. And you OF, I’ll bet you spend a lot of time in your manager’s office showing him or her all of your “wonderful” posts here defending this crapola.
Tex reiterated that opinion when he made his next post. He said less than topped out was always left behind and suffered while topped out prospered. I was told I was selfish because I only looked out for me and operational bragged about how she always looked out for newbys. It was stated that it was time for topped out people to make the same sacrifices as the newer people.

I have no problem with the lump sum. I don't wake up everyday hating life like most on here. I would rather have a raise but I will take my 2k and enjoy it.

Oldfart

If you think that poorly of the job, why not look for another job? I am sure your skills would match plenty of fast food companies.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If you think that poorly of the job, why not look for another job? I am sure your skills would match plenty of fast food companies.
If you’d been paying attention here instead of trying to slam Vantexan and Operational Needs, you’d know I’m already retired. Now get back to your gravy route.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Ok lets do the math...
The base figures I am going to use are for a B3 C3 pay scale at step 9 going to step 10
Step 9 pay is $32.16 per hour. Step 10 pay is $33.71. A full time employee is going to work 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year for a total of 2080 per year, are we in agreement?

View attachment 180766

October 2017 this individual became step 9 at 32.16, April 2018 became step 10 at $33.71, will not see a pay action until October 2019.
$32.16 X 1040 hours = $33,446 that is gross pay October 2017 to April 2018
$33.71 X 1040 hours = $35,058 that is gross pay April 2018 to October 2018
$33.71 X 2080 hours = $70,116 that is gross pay October 2018 to October 2019
Total pay for 24 month period $138,620

Now lets see what would have happened if the pay action had been a normal step increase along with the historical 3% bump that top of range has been seeing for the past 6+ years. Step 10 would go from $33.71 to $34.72
$32.16 X 2080 hours = $66,892 that is gross pay at step 9 October 2017 to October 2018
$34.72 X 2080 hours = $72,217 That is gross pay at step 10 October 2018 to October 2019
Total pay for 24 month period $139,109

The difference is $489 had we waited and got our "normal" pay action we would have received $489 more in our gross pay. This six month early pay action cost us real money.

The company sold us on this is such a great thing, the company is getting this HUGE, GREAT, tax break and we are passing it on to you guys in the form of an early pay raise. It's kind of like seeing this item on Amazon that looks great and amazing, but when you get it home and you open it up, you realize that it's just a poor Chinese knockoff of the real thing.

This is a great move by the company...they get great PR for giving out a pay raise 6 months early, and they get to save money by paying us less in the long run, and by not raising the top of range they are also saving money down the road.

Why did the company do this? The economy has been improving for the past 7 years, our district is doing great, lots and lots of volume both inbound and outbound.

I can only think of a couple of reasons why the company shorted us on this pay action, either the company see's an economic slow down hitting us hard in 2 years, or the company is in financial distress.

Anyone care to double check my math?
First off, thank you for posting this. Are you saying you're not happy with these wages?

Will you post the April raise when available?

Thanks again.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
First off, thank you for posting this. Are you saying you're not happy with these wages?

Will you post the April raise when available?

Thanks again.
Don’t know why you’d care since you’re UPS. The raises are different everywhere, from person to person. The charts he posted reflect the raises.