April 2018 pay action (On Topic Please)

MAKAVELI

Preventable

The "bonus for topped out" is a slight cause for concern imo, but like old fart said if you are retiring withing the next year or 2 you basically got a raise. If you are topped out, but staying in the game for a while I might be slightly butthurt nothing wrong imo with step 9->step 10 being a bigger raise than the others. What interests me more is if raises next time around will be april 2019 or october 2019... because if it is the latter then it is basically a thousand dollar bonus which is a lot less than the 2500 at freight but w/e its still better than nothing. The thing is though 1000 for 400,000 employees is 400,000,000 (half of which might be handlers that don't squat). So how much is fedex benefiting from the tax cuts? I don't know but I would assume more than 400,000,000.

That being said I don't think every dime from the tax cut should go to labor that would be unfair and unwise. Capital (the owners are entitled to their fair share), and fedex would be wise to invest some of the windfall. HOWEVER if the share holders are going to absorb the vast majority of the tax cut that is unfair, and if the workers get a slight benefit this one year in 2018 from earlier raises but then for the next 10 years we are hurt by reduced tax revenue we are actually coming out behind in this (and yeah I know individual earners got a tax cut too but it is smaller and not perpetual like the ones the big boys got).

All that being said neither camp old fart or camp everybody is inherently correct. The workers dealt with some hard times when the company was in trouble and so did the workers, I just want the workers to benefit when times are good. It is our responsibility though to speak up (I always do during sfa meetings etc), or in more extreme cases if we aren't being treated fairly as old fart recommends on a daily basis to show ourselves to the door. I personally have an interview coming up for another job yeah I would have to take a dollar pay cut but it is more in line what I want to do in the long term. Sorry for the long post but one thing to satisfy old fart: I believe express is a good company (maybe not amazing) to work for, but for it to stay that way everyone from the top down has to work hard and speak up even if it is uncomfortable.