April 2018 pay action (On Topic Please)

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Ok lets do the math...
The base figures I am going to use are for a B3 C3 pay scale at step 9 going to step 10
Step 9 pay is $32.16 per hour. Step 10 pay is $33.71. A full time employee is going to work 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year for a total of 2080 per year, are we in agreement?

View attachment 180766

October 2017 this individual became step 9 at 32.16, April 2018 became step 10 at $33.71, will not see a pay action until October 2019.
$32.16 X 1040 hours = $33,446 that is gross pay October 2017 to April 2018
$33.71 X 1040 hours = $35,058 that is gross pay April 2018 to October 2018
$33.71 X 2080 hours = $70,116 that is gross pay October 2018 to October 2019
Total pay for 24 month period $138,620

Now lets see what would have happened if the pay action had been a normal step increase along with the historical 3% bump that top of range has been seeing for the past 6+ years. Step 10 would go from $33.71 to $34.72
$32.16 X 2080 hours = $66,892 that is gross pay at step 9 October 2017 to October 2018
$34.72 X 2080 hours = $72,217 That is gross pay at step 10 October 2018 to October 2019
Total pay for 24 month period $139,109

The difference is $489 had we waited and got our "normal" pay action we would have received $489 more in our gross pay. This six month early pay action cost us real money.

The company sold us on this is such a great thing, the company is getting this HUGE, GREAT, tax break and we are passing it on to you guys in the form of an early pay raise. It's kind of like seeing this item on Amazon that looks great and amazing, but when you get it home and you open it up, you realize that it's just a poor Chinese knockoff of the real thing.

This is a great move by the company...they get great PR for giving out a pay raise 6 months early, and they get to save money by paying us less in the long run, and by not raising the top of range they are also saving money down the road.

Why did the company do this? The economy has been improving for the past 7 years, our district is doing great, lots and lots of volume both inbound and outbound.

I can only think of a couple of reasons why the company shorted us on this pay action, either the company see's an economic slow down hitting us hard in 2 years, or the company is in financial distress.

Anyone care to double check my math?
I'd been informed this will be the new pay structure. Can I ask what the different color boxes along with the difference between B-2--B-4 means?

How many years typically at FT to make it to Step 10?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I'd been informed this will be the new pay structure. Can I ask what the different color boxes along with the difference between B-2--B-4 means?

C1-3 are Customer Service Agents, Couriers, and RTDs (feeders). B2-4 are different areas of the country. There are more that aren’t shown. I think we have 9 or 10 different pay scales in the country.

There are people who have been at FedEx over 20 years who haven’t hit top pay. This new chart implemented last October will possibly allow people to top out in 10 years.

vantexan

There are 5 payscales, Base through Base4. The one you're under depends on local market conditions. There are 10 steps on a payscale. You're hired on step one, go to the next one each year, 9 years to step ten.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I think most people were expecting more, when news releases say "wage increases" people expect a raise, not for raises to be moved up, some may have said "accelerated" Well it accelerates, then stalls.. So yes it's nice, but mearly a shell game. And the Topped couriers will be ticked, tough luck this time round.

The FedEx news release release specifically promised early raises. You're getting an extra six months of pay at the higher rate.

fatboy33

employees in steps 1-9 will advance to the next step in their step progression plan.

Employees at step 10 will receive two lump sum payments totaling 3% of the employees annual pay based on their hourly rate on March 25 2018. The first will be paid 01 April, and the second will be paid in October 2018.

There will be NO increase in pay rates for any of the steps.

There will be no other pay action planned for October 2018. The next planned pay action will be October 2019.

I would ask all that comment on this thread to please stay ON TOPIC thank you.
So this is based on a 40 hour week without overtime. Got it. Thanks.

fatboy33

Remember when your government said we needed tax cuts to help companies create more jobs and higher pay? Does anyone know how much money companies will save in tax? Just curious.

BigWork13

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't "topped out" mean that you're making the most possible for your position? Why would you expect to keep getting 3% raises? Y'all should just be happy you're getting a bonus.

MAKAVELI

As usual you are confused. I never mentioned a corporate tax rate. I mentioned capital improvements with tax breaks going away in 5 years.

Try to keep up.
The $1.5 billion savings was mentioned before the news of capital improvements. Ttku

Oldfart

The $1.5 billion savings was mentioned before the news of capital improvements. Ttku
Whatever you say bubba. I mentioned capital improvements at Indy and Mem and you ranted about tax rates and said I was mistaken. Please get someone to read the new tax rules about capital expenses.