APWA- divide and conquor

satellitedriver

Same raise? I beleive the company offered 35 cents every other year. Your bonus was your raise. Did you see the entire company offer or just the highlite sheet?
There was no bonus. It was never offered. An every other year profit sharing check was. That went away with the strike.
I still have the full offer in my files, not just a highlite sheet. Yes, it was 50 cents an hour per each year of the contract. You forgot to respond to the 25 year and out at any age and full paid lifetime medical coverage for your entire family that was lost in the strike.

satellitedriver

You keep proving my point again and again. I have already stated numerous times the teamsters are not ideal, yet you keep wasting our time with posts like this. Why should I vote for a union with no track history? Where can I see real world results that the APWA can do better?
In time you will.

Bill

The debate over the APWA has been going on here for a while now, and has pretty much gone nowhere. Those that support it claim it will save the world, others have realized that a bunch of grand claims and no way to prove them could make for a disastrous future.

One thing I have noticed is the APWA's own future resides on its ability to divide UPS employees in order to conquor the teamsters. Its leaders and supporters have realized that in any group of people have you your hopeless dreamers. People that are never quite satisified with how things are, and will jump feet first into anything that claims it can provide a better future. Its very much like those get rich quick commercials on late night tv, if they weren't making money for their producers they wouldn't be there.

On the other side of the coin you have the doubters and hard nosed teamsters supporters. The doubters will not believe the claims made by the APWA unless they can be shown some proof. They are not happy with the current teamster leadership either, but don't want to throw their entire future to an unproven organization. Of course the hard nosed teamster supporters will support nobody else but the teamsters for one reason or another.

My point is this. As UPSers we enjoy the best pay, benefits, and available retirement plans in our industry. No other company can provide quite like UPS can, but in reality UPS would not be paying or providing like they do had there not been a bargaining agent constantly upping the ante on what we recieve. While the teamsters are far from perfect, or the ideal union, they have gotten us what we have today. Now we have to ask ourselves do we want to throw all this to the wind? Do we want to put our futures in the hands of an organization that claims it can unite us when its currently trying to divide us? Those are the questions that should be getting asked. The APWA just wants us to focus on the failings of the teamsters, yet they try to aviod proving themselves. I ask everyone here to challenge anyone who would ask them to give up the lifestyle they currently enjoy for the minute chance that they can do better. Your job security, pay, benefits, and even retirement reside on making sound decisions about who you want fighting for you at the bargaining table. Do we go with what we know works, or those with no history? Its your choice, and you better hope its right once its made.
UPS does provide the best benefits, but the Teamsters decided to give them away. We no longer have the benefits we had when we started working for UPS. You can thank the Teamsters for dropping the ball. Why should UPS keep on paying huge sums of money so that employees of other companies can enjoy money that was supposed to go to UPS people? If we received all the UPS money, we would not be in the mess we are in today. Do the math and you will see for yourself. For those of you that don't have the numbers, I will post them in the next two days.

pkgdriver

Why should UPS keep on paying huge sums of money so that employees of other companies can enjoy money that was supposed to go to UPS people?

Damn straight!!!!! Why????

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
Why should UPS keep on paying huge sums of money so that employees of other companies can enjoy money that was supposed to go to UPS people?

Damn straight!!!!! Why????
You want to know why the average driver could care less until it gets close to retirement or his body breaks down by the excessive work that the job is required. You don`t hear your BA telling you any of the facts about your pension or job restrictions upon retiring. Also about the fact you have to be so much older now to collect the pension with no cost of living increases either. Or the fact if you die your spouse will only receive a half version of what your pension is now for a few more years ? When was the last time your BA handed you a booklet on what your pension rights are ? By the time you pay your insurance supplement you will have a very small pension hense it wouldn`t be worth retiring and the union wins wins on that !

brett636

You want to know why the average driver could care less until it gets close to retirement or his body breaks down by the excessive work that the job is required. You don`t hear your BA telling you any of the facts about your pension or job restrictions upon retiring. Also about the fact you have to be so much older now to collect the pension with no cost of living increases either. Or the fact if you die your spouse will only receive a half version of what your pension is now for a few more years ? When was the last time your BA handed you a booklet on what your pension rights are ? By the time you pay your insurance supplement you will have a very small pension hense it wouldn`t be worth retiring and the union wins wins on that !

Thats only if you are foolish enough to rely on the pension.

30andout

I'll gladly let things go the way they are instead of risking letting the APWA give away my pay and benefits just to keep the pension since thats all they want to focus on.
Ok we can all sit back and wait till the teamsters start giving back our wages as they are already giving back our earned benefits.

twnjrspc

The debate over the APWA has been going on here for a while now, and has pretty much gone nowhere. Those that support it claim it will save the world, others have realized that a bunch of grand claims and no way to prove them could make for a disastrous future.

One thing I have noticed is the APWA's own future resides on its ability to divide UPS employees in order to conquor the teamsters. Its leaders and supporters have realized that in any group of people have you your hopeless dreamers. People that are never quite satisified with how things are, and will jump feet first into anything that claims it can provide a better future. Its very much like those get rich quick commercials on late night tv, if they weren't making money for their producers they wouldn't be there.

On the other side of the coin you have the doubters and hard nosed teamsters supporters. The doubters will not believe the claims made by the APWA unless they can be shown some proof. They are not happy with the current teamster leadership either, but don't want to throw their entire future to an unproven organization. Of course the hard nosed teamster supporters will support nobody else but the teamsters for one reason or another.

My point is this. As UPSers we enjoy the best pay, benefits, and available retirement plans in our industry. No other company can provide quite like UPS can, but in reality UPS would not be paying or providing like they do had there not been a bargaining agent constantly upping the ante on what we recieve. While the teamsters are far from perfect, or the ideal union, they have gotten us what we have today. Now we have to ask ourselves do we want to throw all this to the wind? Do we want to put our futures in the hands of an organization that claims it can unite us when its currently trying to divide us? Those are the questions that should be getting asked. The APWA just wants us to focus on the failings of the teamsters, yet they try to aviod proving themselves. I ask everyone here to challenge anyone who would ask them to give up the lifestyle they currently enjoy for the minute chance that they can do better. Your job security, pay, benefits, and even retirement reside on making sound decisions about who you want fighting for you at the bargaining table. Do we go with what we know works, or those with no history? Its your choice, and you better hope its right once its made.

BRAVO BRETT! I've believe in this divide and conquer theory also, in fact I've said it all along. This is right up UPS's alley. They love to have us at each others throat. Is this by coincidence? If all the Teamster UPSers would have voted in the 2006 Teamster election, we could have turned to tide, and changed the direction of the Teamsters Union. Instead, the APWA was busy promoting itself, by dividing us, creating apathy, hate, and discontent. They APWA supporters should have at the least been smart enough to support the reform minded Tom L Slate. But instead, they helped to allow Hoffa and Co. to win, and continue his dirty work. WHY? The APWA is like the "Ross Perrot" of elections. I've said it before, and I'll say again. I'm just as dissatisfied with my Local,State, and Federal government. Does this mean we should form a new? No! As the APWA supporters put it themselves..."You vote them out". Well where the hell was the APWA support during the 2006 Teamster election? I'll tell you where. They were busy dividing and conquering. They didn't even have the smarts (or did they), to atleast support Teamster reform minded canidates, because that would interfere with they're agenda. There's and ulterior motive here. Do you smell it? There's an old saying "If it sounds to good to be true, then it is".

18wheelbrownie

It seems now the theory is the APWA is an anti-union hoax. No wonder they won't tell us anything about themselves other than their great pension ideas and how much th e teamsters supposedly suck.

teamsters, ups, local 435, ibt
you still don't get it? we will have our own union , our own health and welfare,our own pension! when the ups pilots left the teamsters , they form their own union, no one was complaining or calling them scabs! now they have the most respected union among its peers!best contract,best health and welfare,best pension plan! most admired !:thumbup1:

18wheelbrownie

BRAVO BRETT! I've believe in this divide and conquer theory also, in fact I've said it all along. This is right up UPS's alley. They love to have us at each others throat. Is this by coincidence? If all the Teamster UPSers would have voted in the 2006 Teamster election, we could have turned to tide, and changed the direction of the Teamsters Union. Instead, the APWA was busy promoting itself, by dividing us, creating apathy, hate, and discontent. They APWA supporters should have at the least been smart enough to support the reform minded Tom L Slate. But instead, they helped to allow Hoffa and Co. to win, and continue his dirty work. WHY? The APWA is like the "Ross Perrot" of elections. I've said it before, and I'll say again. I'm just as dissatisfied with my Local,State, and Federal government. Does this mean we should form a new? No! As the APWA supporters put it themselves..."You vote them out". Well where the hell was the APWA support during the 2006 Teamster election? I'll tell you where. They were busy dividing and conquering. They didn't even have the smarts (or did they), to atleast support Teamster reform minded canidates, because that would interfere with they're agenda. There's and ulterior motive here. Do you smell it? There's an old saying "If it sounds to good to be true, then it is".
i did support leedham , i even donated to his campaign each month but only to be dissappointed for the 3rd time! hoffa and leedham only get 18% of 1.4 million teamsters to vote! this tells me no really believes in the system and now we can have a clean break from the teamsters by having our own union! they have people in place to get the ups employees union to work. when will you start to support a cause for oursevles ? we will always get least from the teamsters and we put the most in? try something different , support this cause for a change! what will you have to lose? most of us are tired of crap like this from hoffa!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup1:

brett636

you still don't get it? we will have our own union , our own health and welfare,our own pension! when the ups pilots left the teamsters , they form their own union, no one was complaining or calling them scabs! now they have the most respected union among its peers!best contract,best health and welfare,best pension plan! most admired !:thumbup1:

I would like you to show me one competitor of UPS that provides better pay, benefits, and retirment. Its you that don't get it, we are the best among our peers.

18wheelbrownie

I would like you to show me one competitor of UPS that provides better pay, benefits, and retirment. Its you that don't get it, we are the best among our peers.
don't you work ? you on this all the time! stop twisting this all around ! go deliver some pkgs for a living and your mind will change and i sure your body will not like it after 20 yrs. you think loading or unloading or washing pkg cars or tractors is the same as delivering 9 1/2 hrs? then you will understand why fulltime employees want a change!
whats up with that reply, i never said we were not given the best, but ups did give union the money and they blew it on other debts and shortages and cut our benefits & pension! and they get more dues money!

1eyejack

To all my fellow co workers who stay netural, and warns us to stay low profile .We want to thank u all for giving us ur moral support to us.It means a lot to all of us who labor the feilds after work . We know deep in our hearts where u stand and that means a whole lot.keep ur eyes an ears open for us ..To my other co workers who are the die hard teamsters member not wanting a change.I say this to u all don't threaten us with ur empty words of watching are backs or other things.We our on a mission to take cards that back the apwa and hand them out to our other co workers that will benefit all of us. at least let them make their own choice with out being harrassed...We are not down ur back pushing the apwa if u don't want it we move on to the others co workers. And when we get elected to be the new union .and ur still the die hard teamsters people that back hoffa..the members who join the new union will be certain to ask if we can make ur portion of ur pension go to the teamsters which is 40 cent on the dollar now thats a bargain compare to 100 for dollar but i can tell that u die hards are real smart u can calculate that and i hope that we can make that happen for u all when we have a new union ..thank u all ur co worker and apwa supported 1eyejack

30andout

Could someone help me out here. What is going to be divided, and who is going to be conquered? If and when the APWA takes over, we will still only have one union, only it will be run by UPS people. They will have the same negotiating ability as the current union, threat of a work stoppage, or do the teamsters have some other great power I am not thinking of. The teamsters have already showed us they can use that even if we don't vote on it. As they did so they could keep control of our pension money.

Channahon

A lot of posts regarding Teamster and APWA

Can someone get me up to speed? I know different conferences had different retirement plans and retirement age, or a combination of age and service. Is the age 65 as I see posted on this board across the country?

Does anyone remember when the pilots changed unions?

I've read lately where both the Teamsters and ALPA have made concessions for companies in bankruptcy. Not sure for the reasons of bankruptcy, but nice to see the unions are doing whatever they can to keep their members employed

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
A lot of posts regarding Teamster and APWA

Can someone get me up to speed? I know different conferences had different retirement plans and retirement age, or a combination of age and service. Is the age 65 as I see posted on this board across the country?

Does anyone remember when the pilots changed unions?

I've read lately where both the Teamsters and ALPA have made concessions for companies in bankruptcy. Not sure for the reasons of bankruptcy, but nice to see the unions are doing whatever they can to keep their members employed
Two contracts ago teamsters small package division negotiated a lower wage for partimers ! Last election after we had a reduction in accruals to our pension. Increase in our teamsters dues to $67 a month. Decrease in coverage in our insurance and increase in Co pays. Pension has no cola and when Central States came to our building within the last couple of days their telling one that at 37 years of service and age 57 he would recieve $4017 a month and thats 9 years from now. Now a guy at 62 that is retiring with 37 years of service is getting $3695 ! How can that be with reduction in accruals ? At the bottom of the sheet it says that we can not gaurantee these numbers for the future !!!!!!!
Now thats what i call security ? Don`t try to work anywhere legally either or be prepared to loose your pension in Central States ! The Central states fund has final say so not your local and they do care. Who hooked up Central States for us ? Now you see how things transpire !!!!!!!

brett636

Two contracts ago teamsters small package division negotiated a lower wage for partimers ! Last election after we had a reduction in accruals to our pension. Increase in our teamsters dues to $67 a month. Decrease in coverage in our insurance and increase in Co pays. Pension has no cola and when Central States came to our building within the last couple of days their telling one that at 37 years of service and age 57 he would recieve $4017 a month and thats 9 years from now. Now a guy at 62 that is retiring with 37 years of service is getting $3695 ! How can that be with reduction in accruals ? At the bottom of the sheet it says that we can not gaurantee these numbers for the future !!!!!!!
Now thats what i call security ? Don`t try to work anywhere legally either or be prepared to loose your pension in Central States ! The Central states fund has final say so not your local and they do care. Who hooked up Central States for us ? Now you see how things transpire !!!!!!!

Blah blah blah blah blah. Relying on others for your retirment is your own problem. Have fun being a walmart greeter!