APWA - Is it a real alternative or a foolish choice?

What is your opinion about the Association of Parcel Workers of America?

• I'm a member, it's about time someone challenged the Teamsters

Votes: 45 28.5%
  • Sounds like a good idea, but I'm just not sure

Votes: 55 34.8%
  • We need solidarity, let's stick with the Teamster's

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • It's an effort to bust the union, no way I'll even consider it

Votes: 38 24.1%

• Total voters

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
The Association of Parcel Workers of America has been discussed on this board for several months now. The recent article Union battle brewing? in Business First of Louisville highlighted the formation of this group and gave some background information. What's your opinion about this issue?

DS

Fenderbender
Here in Canada the teamsters has a strong agenda.An agenda that includes taking $60 a month off everyone and doing absolutely nothing in return.I`d welcome a new co-operative agreement with people that were more concerned with our pensions although I`m still hesitant for a few reasons.Who says that our new union would not become as corrupt as the teamsters in short time?How can they assuade even a small % of the 4.1 million teamsters that they are for real.How will the teamsters react if they become a threat.Good luck AWPA.

DS

Fenderbender
I guess you could say they played a part.The big reason was that a certain center mgr has now quit and joined DHL.The supervisor that didn`t like him has moved on to another center somewhere.I think his repeated calls to the union and to the mngmt tean showed them he regrets his past actions,and would do a good job if allowed back.The union may get credit for it,but all they did was show up a couple of times in 1 1/2 years.

Bustrbyte

I have looked at thier web site and sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I have my problems with the Teamsters, but these guys are way off base.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have twenty-six people interested in a new union while sixteen want to stick with the Teamsters. I wonder if this percentage is felt by most Teamsters, I for one think that most of us are very unsatisfied with the current leadership and especially the shape of our Pension Plans. This will be the issue in the 2008 contract.

Bulkstop

Shanty Irish
You can be certain that the people behind this APWA "union" or whatever it is are none other than UPS management themselves. They're trying to divide and conquer. From the sound of some of these posts, they may just succeed.

nineball1

Bustrbyte said:
I have looked at thier web site and sounds like a bunch of BS to me. I have my problems with the Teamsters, but these guys are way off base.
I like to know the last time you been tom a union meeting and ask a question and told to sit down and shut up. If you are in packages you think you can work till your 62. Come on people cum to reality. Thank god i'm in feeders and don't have to work as hard as a package driver. also remember there is no25 and out. Did you gorget they took that away from us without telling you. What next that they are going to take away from us without telling us. People start reading and get the facts from both sides and then decide.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Good post nineball, I have been following them closely. Not sure if I want them to take over, but nice to see the teamsters know that if they dont do thier job, we do have choices. Everyone needs competition. to be better.

roadking

APWA, is for real, not driven by mgmt but by good hard working UPSers who just want to get what we are paying for! ex. the maint.people in my shop are represented by the I.A.M.(machinist union) over the past 30yrs. they have put (within 800.00 dollars) of what a full time emplyee represented by the IBT has put into their pension. They will recieve 8000.00 per month at 30yrs. I obtained a copy of one of they're statements, the person started when he was 30 at age 62 he will recieve 10,054.00 per month!!!! Do some research, get a group together invite representitive from the APWA to your area. Fact we keep 40% of the money we put into our multi-employer fund. Fact by the year 2012 there will be 1 working for every 2 retired. Who's carrying the burden? Ups people, their wives, their children. You have woked hard for your money, now if we work together we can get what we have earned.:cool:

mittam

cheryl said:
The Association of Parcel Workers of America has been discussed on this board for several months now. The recent article Union battle brewing? in Business First of Louisville highlighted the formation of this group and gave some background information. What's your opinion about this issue?
I think the APWA is a breath of fresh air , it's about time someone stood up to the the bullying we currently get

30andout

roadking said:
APWA, is for real, not driven by mgmt but by good hard working UPSers who just want to get what we are paying for! ex. the maint.people in my shop are represented by the I.A.M.(machinist union) over the past 30yrs. they have put (within 800.00 dollars) of what a full time emplyee represented by the IBT has put into their pension. They will recieve 8000.00 per month at 30yrs. I obtained a copy of one of they're statements, the person started when he was 30 at age 62 he will recieve 10,054.00 per month!!!! Do some research, get a group together invite representitive from the APWA to your area. Fact we keep 40% of the money we put into our multi-employer fund. Fact by the year 2012 there will be 1 working for every 2 retired. Who's carrying the burden? Ups people, their wives, their children. You have woked hard for your money, now if we work together we can get what we have earned.:cool:
Good post roadking, I like your name too is it after the Harley?

mittam

roadking said:
That is great!!! I believe so too!The APWA is giving us something to look forward to.I started driving at 40 years old , if I retire at 58 I have no pension after my insurance is paid. The account according to teamster percentages they currently earn on our pension accont would give my about $ 45,000 a year the teamsters tell me I can only get $12,000 a year. Where is the rest of my money?

nineball1

roadking said:
good job road king the money ups is putting in the the fund for us we should be getting about 7,000 a month pension and we should have the best insurance you can get. if the apwa takes over we have the say remember it is going to be made up of ups employes only

mittam

The APWA really is giving us a breath of fresh air. Hopefully we will be able to vote for it soon cannot wait to dump the teamsters

shifter11

Ups Employees are the weak link in any local. If they cannot show stength as part of a strong group. How are they going to anything standing on their own?

roadking

We can only hope that once people feel like they can have a voice, and that their voice will be heard, that they will become more active. There will be a difference in that now we are constantly treated like we are nothing without the IBT, I believe the opposite is true,the IBT is nothing without us. Think about some of the people we work with and the level of education, its not 1930, I would argue that we have one of the most highly educated blue collar work forces in the world and yet we are treated like we cannot think for ourselves:confused:1 . That is part of the reason there is such apathy,another is our own union finds ways to devide us, such as different pensions and insurance depending on where you happen to work, we all do the same jobs we should all have the same retirement package.The officers of the APWA just met with the people that will manage the pension for us, they will do all the administration (write checks, taxes, statements etc. for 1/10th of 1% check that against any teamster managed fund you like. P.S I'm a wanna be Harley rider ( my bike money is going in the 401k for obvious reasons) Live long and prosper! Sorry rambled abit tired feeder guy, need sleep!!!!!!

mittam

cheryl said:
I believe it is about time someone challenged the teamsters. I have been to meetings in Knoxville,Tn (2) Lexington,Ky Springboro,Oh and Lima,Oh.the support is overwhelming.This is not just a challenge it is for real and will happen. People need to get on board now and make a statement,let the teamsters know it is not just about pensions but the deceptions and all that they stand for.I have met Van Skillman and Danny Eason they are two down to earth great guys. The stand for honesty and integrity. They are very truthful in what they present. If you have not been to a meeting or had one close to you in your state then contact them @ parcelworkers to set a meeting time. They will be glad to respond and set a time.

mittam

Bustrbyte said:
What is way off base to truthfulness? Don't let the simplicity of their message make you think they are'nt for real after all should'nt it be simple where people can see and understand?

mittam

APWA

This is a breath of fresh air, anyone who has attended a meeting can see two very hard working dedicated honest men doing what they know is best for everyone. We have a new direction a new hope let's take advantage of it and get this done.E-mail them on the parcelworkers sight and let them know your interest.