Archives

O

ok2bclever

Actually, it's November and December, but that's the nature of the business.

M

mojobuc

Hoping that I am still in the running for the p/t sup job, and seeing how i have read alot about bad sups and all, was wondering what your take is on what makes a 'Good' supervisor?

Here is some info I got from various sources
Will they work at UPS:

Responsibility versus Authority.
Never confuse these two. Know what you are authorized to do and what you have to get higher approval for. You may be responsible for getting something done and not have the authority to change the implementation plan. Don't make promises that you don't have the authority to make come true. Make sure your subordinates understand the difference. I also call this "Permission vs. Forgiveness" - what must I get permission for and what do I seek forgiveness for.
------------
Expectations:

Put your expectations of your staff in writing. Even if it's a short list and subject to change. When I took my last job, I put out a short list and told all my direct reports that it may be modified over time as our working relationships developed.
-----------------

Trust/Loyalty:
You can't do it alone. You have to trust your staff - at least until someone shows you they don't deserve your trust. But just because I trust you doesn't mean I'm not going to follow-up. The better I get to know you, the better I can judge how often I need to follow-up. and remember both trust and loyalty go both up and down the chain.
---------------

Information-sharing:
Sometimes the manager can't tell you everything. But I'd sooner tell someone that there are other factors that I'm not at liberty to discuss then just blow them off. But even if you can't share the details, often you can tell someone that their point of view which they feel was ignored, was considered by you or by higher ups when the decision was made.

A

abbear

whoa - hold on. I have read through each of your posts and picked up a little info from each one. Why don't you put it ALL in one post. Give all the info and maybe someone can help.

That said, to the best of my knowledge in California care for non-work injuries are not paid by the state. Your own insurance would pay for that and I believe you have 3 months coverage once you are off the job. CASDI is the tax you have taken out of every paycheck to pay for state disability insurance. Your doctor determines whether or not you can work. Look in the phone book in the government section for a number for state disability claims.

It sounds like you also have a supplemental disability insurance. Your doctor should be able to help you to navigate the denial (which I suspect is routine).

This should give you a place to start - now you need to get your hands dirty by doing some digging on your own.

Good luck

S

sweatyguy

Good luck if the results were mostly negative for management... Been asking at my center since LAST YEAR when we took it...Every now and then I ask, but its always a waste of my time...its getting amusing now watching them squirm and make excuses...It should be available on UPSERS.com if you ask me...

T

toonertoo

Dont know why some of the management people havent responded. but just look at who you think is a good sup. someone who demands and deserves respect. someone who you know can and has done what you do,or could, and actually understands what he is trying to teach, and someone who recognizes there is a problem, and works to fix it. Listens when you have concerns, and can tell you that you did a fine job, as easily as telling you improvement is needed. And never forget where you came from. JMHO

(Message edited by toonertoo on February 23, 2004)

T

tieguy

tooner,

No nead to respond, his/her original thoughts were awesome. At this point if he learns to gather input from his people he/she will do a heck of a job.

T

tieguy

I find that surprising. Call HR . Find out who the Employee relations manager is. Call that person and ask them what the score was. Tell em your center won't tell you. Ah better yet don't you will only start some crap.

R

rushfan

Oh yah we've had staples, and quill, and others who ship 20 cases of paper. It's fun to get to the car in the morning and see 20 cases going to the mortgage company on the 2nd floor, no elevator.

R

rushfan

Quick question:
I was visiting a relative who lives on Catalina Island a couple of years ago. UPS deliveries were being made by what I guess was a "non brown" operation. Can anyone fill me in on who does or did them. Just curious, no malice intended.

B

brown_freak

Ummmmmm.......
A complete breakdown of the ERI is available at UPSers.com

U

upscorpis

If I may be so bold to add some opinion to this thread:

Accountability: You must hold people accountable in a way that's as productive as possible. Let them know you have concern about the long term implications of poor behavior to there employment. Let them know that they're letting their team down with poor performance or behavior. As you stated, clear expectations are important. This trait is to good performers so they will see that you're not expecting them to do everyting and allowing slackers to slack, which helps them to stay motivated to do a good job.

Training: Give your people to tools to do their job. Don't put them into situations in which they cannot succeed. Realize different people have different potentials. Help people reach their potential and show them you care enough to do so.

Humility: If you make a mistake, own up to it. Act like a human being, not a management drone. Get to know them and they you. Let them know you depend on them. Speak candidly with people, don't hide behind canned management phrases.

Teamwork: Build a team, of which you are a part. Start stressing that you all rely on each other. Let them know that you are there agent to upper management and that you will represent your team's needs and successes and follow through on that. Take suggestions from employees seriously and explain why you can or cannot implement them. Let them know you depend on they can depend on you.

Recognition: This can occur on many levels. Sometimes it's after the PCM, sometimes it's yelling about someone's load quality improvement, etc. Make sure you recognize your people for improving and for good performance. Let people know their value to the team. When possible, give good performers better work assignements.

These came immediately to mind. I'm sure others will share more.

Good luck.

T

toonertoo

Yes It was a well thought out letter, and I feel this guy will do well, He cares, and is very insightful, and organized.

B

brownmonster

Because of that stupid survey we now have to put up with a JRD every month. Survey said we wanted feedback. Telling me how many late air or missed scans or my SPORH was not the feedback I was looking for. The company puts way too much stock in the ERI. Most employees think it is a waste of time and answer the questions accordingly IMO

T

toonertoo

I agree with brownmonster, I think it is a big waste of time. The difference shows when management changes. A year ago the employee opinion was, "get rid of the management, its awful" and now with new people, employees are starting to come to safety, sales lead meetings etc. A year ago, no one would go. it shows that now we have someone who would listen vs a yr ago when we knew it was a formality. and what good is a survey to a center suffering tyrannical management vs a center like we have now. When people are happy and respected they get better production. When your management beats up their own and hides behind a PC screen, no one has respect. Its a happier place now, a year ago it was like reporting for prison. So how could it ever be accurate. You give an opinion on here and now, not an average of how its been. Here and now shows how it is. Look at those numbers and get an ERI. Let us evaluate them like they evaluate us, then UPS would know who is effective and who is detrimental. That would help UPS determine raises, and promotions for managemnt etc, because most of us enjoy the company we work for and speak highly of it. Having a center mgmt team who doesnt have a clue, is disastrous for business.

B

bonusking

toonertoo is right....last year our center score was a 56..."they" brought in new sups, and Center manager, this year, the score was 70. Gee go figure.

W

wornoutupser

New Trucks?

Your center gets NEW trucks????

I was given a "new" 12 year old P 10 from another center. It blew the engine three days later and the tranny was replaced soon after. It leaks like a sieve and I have one of the better vehicles in the line up!

E

eeriana

I don't know about anywhere else... but after we do the ERI, all that happens is they have a PCM to "go over" all the negative scores and ask for suggestions on how to make things better, but we never see it happen. It's just a formality IMO.