Archives

P

parttimejon

our standard response on night side is "can't do it all boss" which we use when they leave two people to load 5 different feeders.

E

ezrider

Rushfan-How does the wife react to you getting home late?My girlfriend used to work pretty late but now is out of work by 430PM and she's really getting after me about the hours.I can't imagine trying to be a husband or a father of two.

Tooner-Did you say a secure work environment?I guess after having to chase down the invisible man driving around in your Nova in a snowstorm,anything would seem more secure.It always struck me as an extremely insecure work environment.And I didn't even have a fire occur in my building.Whatever they are putting in that Lake Erie water,maybe I need some of it.

T

toonertoo

Im not sure what they have in the Lake Erie water, but I know the perch and walleye are back, and thats a good thing!!! And I did swim in it all my life so maybe you have a point. The invisible man in my Nova, was a really scary thing, and the snowstorms I grew up with so it was only a small distraction.

AS far as security, except when I was first driving, I get to work every day, unless I screw up really bad,and even though you may have a minor accident, you are in trouble but not usually terminated. I go in every morning and have work, usually more than I would like. I can buy a car, and a house and be pretty sure that I can make the payments, and even if I get hurt, I can survive. Injury on or off the job I will get something. I never had trouble finding work, but I never had the security "I" feel at UPS. And even tho I at times get so frustrated I wish I could quit, I look at people I know and I dont dare bitch about what I have, to the have nots. It humbles me. Just my opinion.

M

moreluck

Tooner, your post reminded me of fish frys at Maridor Beach on Lake Erie (near Sandusky).....delicious perch!
Akron is home for us, but hubby spent every summer at Lake Erie with his family.

That was totally off the subject and totally back to food! I think I have a food problem!

D

dannyboy

My wife is a nursing manager. In at 6AM or so and home somewhere from 6-9PM. On call for the whole hospital one whole week a month. That means she takes care of all call in problems, stafing shortages, patient family problems etc in a hospital that has 3500 employees. Some nites we get as many as 25 - 30 calls between midnight and 6 AM.

ME, I get home usually by 8-830. But you know, when everyone pitches in, you can make it work. IT is like everything else in life, it takes teamwork and selflessness. Shame you cant take the retirement time to raise kids, when you have the time to spend with them.

Now add to that a business venture and it seems we are working all the time. One thing we pretty much decided on was one day a week off for family time alone. Sometimes it is hard to do but we have.

d

L

local804

I call the wife and I let her know when to have dinner ready. I think she is very understanding about my staggered return to building time. Tooner, How has the climate been over there? Moreluck, I got one for ya.........
"Cant live with them, cant live with out them"
you cant live with out them because you need some one to cook and do the womens chores..

M

moreluck

hey local, I think it goes like this.....

MEN, you can't live with them and it's illegal to shoot them!

T

toonertoo

Weather has been rough on the lake this year. I dont live there anymore I moved 100 mi south and it is much better here, but my son lives in my house there in good old Conneaut Ohio, so we have a place to land in the summer for extended weekend fishing trips which is every weekend.....The cold temp has been great for ice fishing but ELK CREEK which is just over the line in PA has had great results for Trout all winter. Best perch all summer was 52 ft just off conneaut, geneva, Kingsville. Us lake ERie traash call it perch city. MORELUCK knows, if you visit lake erie shores, you get fresh lake erie perch or walleye exact place she is speaking, sandusky is the walleye capital of the world. I plan to go there this summer, my son took 2nd place in a walleye tournament in Conneaut with 39 lbs in 5 fish, they were monsters!!! Most familes have two cars we have two boats, a back up just in case and an extra if you got a truck with a hitch, so come on here anytime and we will show you how to fill your freezer. We had to buy one last year on the way home!! Been eating it all winter, perch and walleye, its the best!! Nothing like it!! Not to be on a rant, so out of character for me... I just hope spring is here!!! suppose to be near 60 sunday, so the ice is on its way OUT of HERE!!!
ps more luck if you are in Akron I am your neighbor,sort of, ever hear of Hanoverton Ohio if not dont feel bad, no one else has either, thats why I like it!! Guilford Lake state park.

(Message edited by toonertoo on February 26, 2004)

T

toonertoo

Oh yea MORELUCK, think that was a song by the Forrester sisters, thought it wa the judds at first, but I dont listen to country music much anymore, but it used to be my theme song. Im reformed.

E

eeriana

I remember that song... it was the Forrester sisters and it was a great song! LOL

T

toonertoo

If I had ever got kareoked, (spelled wrong Im sure) that would have been it........

D

daveupser

I had a rough time at preload this morning. I nearly wrapped, but the guy next to me leaves early to go to school. I have to cover his pull during last rev., which is real tough when I have my own pull to cover.

Apparently I let a cage go by with some packages in it. The sup told me not to let that happen and asked if I understood. I said no. From there I started yelling, saying that I cannot cover 7 cars for 30 minutes. It's unreasonable.

I've seen people yell a lot worse at this guy and, AFAIK, not get in trouble for it. Still, I'm feeling a bit bad about it now. I've had a lot of trouble with this sup and I keep telling myself I'm going to lighten up. Yet I get worked up and seem to lose it.

I didn't call him any names or anything. I just started yelling my responses to him. I think I should be okay because quite frankly, they need me more than I need them. I'm considered one of the best preloaders there. And I know all the FT managers love me, since my load quality is superb.

I dunno. I guess I'm a little worried and nervous here. I'm only at the job for health insurance (have a day job with good pay), but if I were to lose the UPS job, I'd have to find something else with health benefits.

I really am going to lighten up starting next week.

R

robonono

At your first opportunity apologize to the supervisor for yelling at him.

O

omegaman

UPS undermans every part of their operation. Continue to work at a fair and reasonable pace that keeps you from getting injured. UPS doesn't care about you, only your production. Stand your ground and help to transform this enterprise into one we can be proud of. Fight every coward in management who thinks harassment and intimidation is a viable tool.

J

johnny_b

Agreed, but you aren't going to get in trouble. If you weren't a good worker, they would invent stuff to help get rid of you. But since you are... you can get away with worse.

I would have a little chat with that sup where I do apologize but I would also let him know that it is best for him to let you do your job the best you can without raising tensions. That way, when you do it again, he knows why.

D

daveupser

Yeah, I think I probably will apologize. I hate to do it since I don't like the guy at all, but I think it'll make a feel a bit better about doing it. And hopefully it'll be the beginning of me cooling down.

It's funny too, because I never, never lose my patience at work (day job) or at home. But at UPS I have 'lost my cool' a few times because what they do is so unfair. It's frustrating. But I need to remind myself that I'm doing the best I can, and that I can live w/o this job if need be.

M

moreluck

This is not my area of expertise, but the only way you'll get in trouble is continuing to think you are irreplaceable!!

"they need me more than I need them"

D

daveupser

moreluck,

I don't walk around with that type of attitude at UPS. But that is what I'm thinking. Simply put, I don't need the job. I want the health insurance, but if need be, I can find another job with health benefits.

But believe me, I understand that to them I'm just another body. And I know that I'm easily replacable.

I work extremely hard at UPS and at times it can become quite frustrating.

(Message edited by Daveupser on February 27, 2004)