Archives

O

over9five

It always amazes me. The truck making companies must see UPS coming! We buy so many vehicles we should be able to get QUALITY vehicles.
WHY cant they give us defrosters that will clear the WHOLE windshield?
WHY dont they anchor the wipers at the BOTTOM of the windshield? (Its insane that they pick the water up so when the wiper goes down it drops all that water in front of your eyes).
WHY dont the wipers clear the snow from your view of the mirrors?
Three basic easy to fix problems that are never addressed. We (UPS) deserve better!
OK, rant over.

O

over9five

"last year our center score was a 56..."they" brought in new sups, and Center manager, this year, the score was 70"

Haha, Now theyll get rid of your new team! You guys are way too happy...

T

tax

It seems with the new dividend tax deduction that the interest expense is zero because of quilified dividends. At least Turbo Tax is telling me my allowed interest expense for investing is zero.

Can anyone shed a better point of view??

U

upsg

My spouse has been working part time for over 3 yrs and just found out that he is getting a full time driver job. He has an idea what the hourly rate will be. All I hear about is the extremely long hours the drivers work. Here is the really dumb question: Do you get paid time and a half after 40 hours? My husband does not ask a lot of questions, so I usually have to push for information. Could anyone share with me what they think the average yearly pay for a beginning driver might be? I really don't know what to expect. I appreciate any help.. Thanks.

E

eeriana

you get time and a half after 8 hours a day and the yearly salary depends on where you are... here in NM our drivers probably average about 50-60k a year or so I hear.

U

upsdude

Unless you are an ex spouse seeking alimony. If so, we only make about 3.95 an hour but the company deducts 58 cents an hour for gas.

Sorry, I couldnt resist. I see this is your first post, welcome to BrownCafe!

U

upsg

Thanks. We are in the Kansas City, MO area. So I don't know for sure what that would mean about the wages here, but it sounds pretty promising. (Now I can ask for lots more alimony, hehehehe) (Not!) Thanks for the welcome

T

traveler

upsdude,
I had to really laugh about your post (and give you a 5 star rating). Brought back memories of my supervisory days. We used to get our checks given to us by the manager. All of a sudden, the powers that be decided to mail the checks home but they never told anyone before the first payday when that change took effect. Well, you should have seen the mad rush for the door when some managers and sups heard the news. Most of them ended up telling their spouses about the wonderful raise "they just received". One fellow actually told his wife that his salary was DOUBLED. Just a few of us finished out the day without any worries.

A

archibald

You get 3.95 an hour? Jeez here in AR we get 2$ plus 2 live chickens every year! Man you guys have it made!!!!!!!!!!!

T

toonertoo

Speaking of alimony, and support I about died when I saw what some of the guys paid. And they never complain. some of them pay more in a month than I got in a year. But when I asked them why they got divorced, they said "its expensive, but worth it" Most have gone on to better marriages.
From a woman driver, expect him to work late, but weekends off. He may be laid off or on call in Jan, and Feb, but soon he will beg for a day off, and wont be able to get one.
\For the first two weeks, he will be highly stressed and you will get sick of hearing about it, but it gets better....Just give him motivation and dont expect much else from him. And then he'll be fine. the bright side is weekends off, so far anyway, great benefits, and a secure work environment. It is a very demanding job, physically and mentally, but most all adjust.

R

rushfan

Yah those p600's-POS. Drove one today. I see them all the time at the local International/navstar dealership getting repaired. They still are under warranty. They do 10 mph in first gear, 20 2nd gear. Hell it takes the whole entrance ramp to get up to freeway speed-that's empty.

(Message edited by rushfan on February 25, 2004)

T

toonertoo

Moreluck, you make dinner?????????????????????
My husband does too, but I take it for lunch the next day. When we first got together he said he would cook one night. I had a jar of mustard, a can of beer, and a can of corn.......
When we got married, I said if you want to eat at a reasonable time, you cook, Ill shop and do laundry, maybe........since then he has learned to run the washer, and shop too. But it all works out in the end.

T

toonertoo

No I know you are a woman, I was being sarcastic.....Like why make dinner when he wont be there anyway, and my husband gets home first so he has that rewarding job, if he chooses to eat before 9pm.

M

moreluck

Tooner....the entire problem is solved now anyway. We're retired and eat at the "old folk's hour" of 4:30 PM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R

rushfan

Yep don't expect him for dinner. I'm used to heating stuff up in the microwave. I worked till 8:00 tonight. My children ages 2 and 5 won't have anything to do with me when I get home that late. Here I make .50 per hour, I have to deduct 95% for 401k. I don't have much after that. My kids are in rags, my shoes have holes in them. Luckily ups provides the uniforms. When I want to wear shorts, purchasing my socks really takes alot out of the budget. I get flowers for my wife from the funeral home I deliver to. When you become a driver, you make all kinds of connections.

D

daveupser

The first phase of our new PAS system goes live on Monday. Because this new system will make me a more efficient worker, I now have 5 cars to load instead of 3 or 3.5. Do I get extra time for this? Oh yes, I get an extra 15 minutes now that I have two additional cars.

It's crazy. Oh well. I just try to keep my chin up. When they complain, I've been giving the standard "I'm doing the best I can" response. We're supposed to load 200 pieces per hour. Every time they do a methods eval. on me, I do 200+ easily. Yet at the end of the day, when I have stacks everywhere because I don't have enough time, they complain. When I show them my RSAMS that clearly show I was getting 1000+ pieces per day for 3 cars, nothing changes.

*sigh* This job doesn't stress me since I don't *need it*. I have a day job I can live off. UPS is for benefits. But it does anger me.

Sorry. Just blowing off some steam.

W

wingfan

The system went live in October for us. it has its positives and negatives, especially neg.'s for the loaders. Most if not all the loaders in my building feel the same as you. It hasnt affected me since i unload. In fact, my 'scanner' will take off some overwieghts and open boxes for me so i can stay in the truck and keep working. The sorters seem to like it to. But further on down the line is where it starts to be a hassle for people. I havent talked to any drivers about there thoughts on the system, prolly because im usually gone when they arrive.

When they complain, I've been giving the standard "I'm doing the best I can" response
I do the same lol