Archives

J

ja7618

upsg, my husband has been a driver for 26 yrs, when the kids were little there were many Xmas season's he would not see the kids till the weekend because of the long hrs, but somehow he always managed to get to school functions and all of the home soccer games when they were in high school and a lot of the away games,now that they are grown we eat late together. But it's been a very good life for all of us.

U

upsg

Thanks everyone. Right now my husband works 3 part time jobs and watches our 4 yo son half the day. He has only been getting 3-4 hours of sleep a night. Most evenings he is at one job, gets home about 9:30 PM and then he goes to UPS at around 2:30 in the morning, then on Weds. he delivers papers. In addition to all of that, I am the full time career lady. So, I don't really see him much in the evenings now anyway. This new schedule may possibly be a relief once he gets used to it.

I have been the breadwinner for years and am seriously thinking if this works out, it may be an opportunity for me to quit my horribly stressful job that I don't like and stay home with my kids. That's why I'm so anxious to find out what kind of pay he will be making. What happens if he is laid off in January? Do you make enough during the holidays to make up for it?

I worry about the stability, but then my own company is in bankrupcty, and has had cut backs, so who knows? My job may not be as stable as a lot of yours.

I am very excited and a little nervous, my husband is very nervous.

Thanks again.

T

traveler

robo,
I sure do agree with you analysis. The guy at A G Edwards must have had his panties in a bunch that day. With a strong sell in 2003 at $58 or so, I wonder where he is flipping burgers these days? Now I know why I have to check what's in the bag before leaving the "drive thru"!!!

In all seriousness though, those two listed strong sells DO weigh on the stock desirability and price as silly as they may actually be.

NOT

T

tieguy

Omegaman will you also fight the slacker who does not carry his weight while your fighting the undermanning of an area?

O

ok2bclever

Dave,

The contract states that both sides must treat the other with respect.

Yelling will rarely be considered a sign of respect by either side.

You need to state to management that you do and will do the best you can but that seven trucks for any amount of time is too much work for anyone and they can expect a deteriorating job quality the longer it goes on. (in level tones)

O

ok2bclever

Naw, you got that covered sufficiently.

If UPS wouldn't understaff (let's be politically correct as well as accurate here ) the operation the part time supes could actually supervise the slackers instead of being too busy covering a pull.

(Message edited by Ok2bclever on February 27, 2004)

T

toonertoo

Yes Lighten up would be better for your health and his, we are all doing a job and its hard no matter which one you do. Having been a PT sup we are used to being yelled at but it doesnt do either any good. The best way I made it through the day is the positive thought that this too shall pass, and soon Ill be out of here. dont let your job turn you into a mean person, its a job, it will get done, but how you feel about losing your temper will probaly trouble you, by your post, and it isnt worth the distress. Obviously you care and it never hurts to say, sorry I had a bad day, you will feel better, he/she will too, and if you werent threatening, or abusive, I wouldnt worry. Just remember it will end soon, its a few stressful hours in a day, and when you feel you cant do whats expected thats what makes you mad, but if it is overwhelming and your good, possibly they are whipping their best horse the hardest. and tomorrow is another day. Now how much work you are doing, check your PPh and see what is required for your position on the belt and handle it diplomatically.

C

clarkie

upsg-
Keep in mind that he will have to work full time for 2 years before his pay progression reaches top rate. If he managed to do any temp driving in the past that time will count toward his 2 year progression. It will go up after 12 months, then go up again at 18 months. Then top rate after 24 months.

C

clarkie

if that guy leaves 30 minutes early every day for school, why don't they have someone else come fill the spot for him? or why don't they move that person to a position that isn't as greatly affected by them leaving early?

T

toonertoo

upsg, if he is working, stay home with the kids, and learn how to cut back. when you arent working a stressful job, you will have the time to do that, as cost cutting is labor, but you will never get another chance to be home and raise the kids, they dont wait til things are perfect, they just grow up. If I had waited til I could afford kids, I never would have had any. And now they are grown and I wish I could have had more time.

G

gman

Every morning when I come in, I see the same P/T sup with the dirtiest shirt in the building. It didn't get that way by telling people what to do. He was doing it himself. In our building, even management is understaffed. We are to the point of diminishing returns. Burn out is up and production is down. So be it.

M

mojobuc

communication is lacking here.

There is a manager at our hub that has ongoing battles with at least half the employees in the building. No one respects them, for constantly avoiding any of their responsibilities and is always on their personal phone and then has the nerve to yell at others who seem to be 'slacking'

I don't have a problem with them, but see why it is there, and this manager constantly come's to me for advice, and when ever there is a problem.
Right now iI tell them, "listen, i'd love to help you, but it is not my responsbility, the guys know it is not my job, so why would they listen to what I have to say?" They beg, and I will ocassionally do it, and the guys usually listen.
amazing what a 'please' and 'thank you' can do, usually

P

proups

daveupser: UPS is successful because of people like you. I agree with the others that yelling at the Sup because you lose your cool is not a good thing.

Just keep working hard and you will be O.K.

P

proups

PAS makes the preload job easier by eliminating chart knowledge. Every preload that goes to PAS will mean the preloaders will be able to load more cars.

Drivers will get more stops too, since this implementation will cause every stop in their car to be in their DIAD board at the beginning of the day.

For this system to be successful, it is important for the preloaders to load the cars in stop for stop order so that the driver can run it the way he/she is supposed to without sorting all day.

Talk about teamwork....but it works!

T

tieguy

I never had any problems with someone who occasionally vented on me, it shows they care. Of course I never had anyone vent on me either....

F

feeder

It ceases to amaze me that new services or new implentations that management makes, they tell us its going to make your job easier!!!
Rubish!!! Yea, easier for management, easier ways to control numbers, costs, amount of drivers on road and preload people, but remember, when it gets easier, management will once again up the anty on stops, increase the amount of cars preloaders must load, decrease time allowances and that thing about pkg-drivers running on trace or in sequence...Wrong, NDA'S dictate a driver's day.....Thank God I left pkg-car to go into feeders, and I will say it again, Drive from Point A to Point B, take a lunch and drive back to Point A and punch out.....

G

gumbybros

I agree with toonertoo. My wife made more than I did as a full timer, plus had a co. car and all kinds of other little perks when she quit due to job stress 9 yrs. ago. We used to eat out a lot, go off for nice weekends any time we wanted, etc. I don't miss that a bit. Now the house is clean, and a home cooked dinner on the table (or in the microwave if I'm late) when I get home. Believe me, if the spouse is happy, this job is a lot easier to deal with. Plus, it made a world of difference to our kid. I figured, if my brother can raise 4 kids on 20K a year(not sure how he did it) we can raise one on a UPS paycheck. And it's not hard at all; really.

G

gumbybros

I've never participated in the discounted stock plan, but I recently tried to sell some stock that I got when they discontinued the thrift plan. Turns out that stock is "class A" restricted stock, which must be turned into "class B" stock before it can be sold. My broker said that could take up to 6 weeks. I'll bet the discounted stock plan is "class A" restricted also. I've watched the price drop $3 a share since I first wanted to sell it. Oh well, easy come, easy go. If anyone has info on how quick this can be done I would like to know.

L

local804

Feeder,
Once the Pas(edd) business manager program is installed, the time allowances will be lowered. There are a few new reports that this spits out but as long as you do the job the way they want, there will be no problems. You will still have the packages loaded in the wrong truck and still have missed pieces. If a truck is blown out, there is no way in hell you can follow the trace. Sometimes you have to be creative at the loaders expense.I dont care if UPS spent 600 million dollars or 600 billion dollars, the ball is still in the loaders hand and they still control our day.