Are grievance checks public knowledge in our union?

Brownt10

How can I find out exactly what drivers & preloaders are making for grievance amounts?

The pt stewards are always telling me not to say anything about how much I make to other drivers but some of the checks are get are pathetic. I feel like their buddies are making out better but want to confirm it if it’s true.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
How can I find out exactly what drivers & preloaders are making for grievance amounts?

The pt stewards are always telling me not to say anything about how much I make to other drivers but some of the checks are get are pathetic. I feel like their buddies are making out better but want to confirm it if it’s true.
MYOB.

You have no right or need to know what your coworkers are making if they don't choose to directly tell you.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Why you wanna be all up in everybody bidness ?

Thebrownblob

Grievances and their resolution should be posted on the Union bulletin board at work. Perhaps this would encourage more Union members to be involved.
Nope, it’s private union business go to talk to your BA and come to monthly meetings.

Teamsters Oath
I, (GIVE NAME) , PLEDGE MY HONOR TO FAITHFULLY OBSERVE THE CONSTITUTION AND THE LAWS OF THE INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF TEAMSTERS AND THE BY-LAWS AND LAWS OF THIS LOCAL UNION.

I PLEDGE THAT I WILL COMPLY WITH ALL THE RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF THE INTERNATIONAL UNION AND THIS LOCAL UNION.

I WILL FAITHFULLY PERFORM ALL THE DUTIES ASSIGNED TO ME TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY AND SKILL.

I WILL CONDUCT MYSELF AT ALL TIMES IN A MANNER AS NOT TO BRING REPROACH UPON MY UNION.

I SHALL TAKE AN AFFIRMATIVE PART IN THE BUSINESS AND ACTIVITIES OF THE UNION AND
ACCEPT AND DISCHARGE MY RESPONSIBILITIES DURING ANY AUTHORIZED STRIKE OR LOCKOUT.

I PLEDGE NOT TO DIVULGE TO NON-MEMBERS THE PRIVATE BUSINESS OF THIS LOCAL UNION, UNLESS AUTHORIZED TO REVEAL SAME.

I WILL NEVER KNOWINGLY HARM A FELLOW MEMBER.

I WILL NEVER DISCRIMINATE AGAINST A FELLOW WORKER ON ACCOUNT OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, SEX, AGE, PHYSICAL DISABILITY, OR NATURAL ORIGIN.

I WILL REFRAIN FROM ANY CONDUCT THAT WOULD INTERFERE WITH THE UNION’S PERFORMANCE OF ITS LEGAL OR CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATIONS.

I WILL AT ALL TIMES BEAR TRUE AND FAITHFUL ALLEGIANCE TO THE INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF TEAMSTERS AND THIS LOCAL UNION.

Thebrownblob

Disciplinary issues should probably be kept confidential. Other grievances and their resolutions should be open Union business available to all members. I can understand why the company would not want them known but not the Union.
Posting them where everyone can see them is not just union members it is private Union business. If you want to know, you’re entitled to go and find out from your business agent or attend meetings. end of story.

PT Car Washer

Posting them where everyone can see them is not just union members it is private Union business. If you want to know, you’re entitled to go and find out from your business agent or attend meetings. end of story.
I guess we disagree on what is considered 'Private Union Business" and the members right to know. I believe it would encourage members to be more involved. Too often the only interaction most members have with the Union is paying dues.

Thebrownblob

I guess we disagree on what is considered 'Private Union Business" and the members right to know. I believe it would encourage members to be more involved. Too often the only interaction most members have with the Union is paying dues.
Meetings are open to all members. It is where we go to discuss the private business. And if you can’t do that, get your business agent, phone number. That’s what they get paid for. Members do you have a right to know, posting it where everyone can see it would not be just members looking.

PT Car Washer

Meetings are open to all members. It is where we go to discuss the private business. And if you can’t do that, get your business agent, phone number. That’s what they get paid for. Members do you have a right to know, posting it where everyone can see it would not be just members looking.
Why should a Union members grievance be considered private? Let the FT and PT sups see that Union members are not afraid to stand up for their rights. I can see where the company would not want such things posted.

PT Car Washer

Give me an example of why you would not want a supervisor working grievance and its resolution not known? Because the BA lost the case because of his incompetence?

Thebrownblob

Give me an example of why you would not want a supervisor working grievance and its resolution not known? Because the BA lost the case because of his incompetence?

The first one will be a grievance against another hourly, who is working outside of their classification. I doubt seriously you would want that posted for everyone to see?
Might cause a bit of animosity.

Also,
Poorly written grievances, untimely grievances, grievances that didn’t ask for settlements, grievances that are not a contract violation. Grievances that will be used in arbitration cases. Etc. etc. just because you don’t understand the process please do not cloud the issue.

No one is saying you cannot know we are saying it’s private business go about finding out the correct way.

Explain to me what you think private business of the union is?

PT Car Washer

The first one will be a grievance against another hourly, who is working outside of their classification. I doubt seriously you would want that posted for everyone to see?
Might cause a bit of animosity.

Also,
Poorly written grievances, untimely grievances, grievances that didn’t ask for settlements, grievances that are not a contract violation. Grievances that will be used in arbitration cases. Etc. etc. just because you don’t understand the process please do not cloud the issue.

No one is saying you cannot know we are saying it’s private business go about finding out the correct way.

Explain to me what you think private business of the union is?
I filed a grievance on the company working a Union member outside of their classification. The BA lost it based on "working as directed". Private Union business would be such things as budgets or other monetary things or grievance discussions and strategies. I believe making grievances public with their resolutions would encourage more members to be more involved. I can see why some in positions of power on both side would not want this.

Thebrownblob

I filed a grievance on the company working a Union member outside of their classification. The BA lost it based on "working as directed". Private Union business would be such things as budgets or other monetary things or grievance discussions and strategies. I believe making grievances public with their resolutions would encourage more members to be more involved. I can see why some in positions of power on both side would not want this.
Pretty difficult to hide union finances ever heard of an LM-2? You can find out quite a bit down to what every single person makes it’s public knowledge.

And you give a pretty good example of why I wouldn’t want those posted without talking to the business agent, just reading working outside of classification and “work as directed” does it mean much to me? I don’t know the particulars of the grievance, nor previous rulings from the panels.

PT Car Washer

Pretty difficult to hide union finances ever heard of an LM-2? You can find out quite a bit down to what every single person makes it’s public knowledge.

And you give a pretty good example of why I wouldn’t want those posted without talking to the business agent, just reading working outside of classification and “work as directed” does it mean much to me? I don’t know the particulars of the grievance, nor previous rulings from the panels.
No you don't know much about the particulars of any grievance. I feel more transparencies in the grievance process would be better for all Union members and invite more involvement. Of course those in power would disagree. They like to make their own deals in private.