Are grievance checks public knowledge in our union?

Thebrownblob

No you don't know much about the particulars of any grievance. I feel more transparencies in the grievance process would be better for all Union members and invite more involvement. Of course those in power would disagree. They like to make their own deals in private.
Those in power don’t necessarily disagree, but they don’t have time to explain every situation to every single person. Again, that would be the time to ask at a union meeting with people who are interested and took the time to come being present, and tell them all at once. What is so hard for you to understand? What you’re basically saying is you don’t want to go to meetings and be involved do you want them to come to you and explain a grievance you may not be involved in? Sorry you’re going to have to do some work yourself pick up the phone or show up at the meeting.

PT Car Washer

Those in power don’t necessarily disagree, but they don’t have time to explain every situation to every single person. Again, that would be the time to ask at a union meeting with people who are interested and took the time to come being present, and tell them all at once. What is so hard for you to understand? What you’re basically saying is you don’t want to go to meetings and be involved do you want them to come to you and explain a grievance you may not be involved in? Sorry you’re going to have to do some work yourself pick up the phone or show up at the meeting.
How difficult would it be to post grievances and their resolution? I believe years ago we did this. We may disagree but I encourage younger members to stay involved. Just be ready to accept disappointments. You are the future of the Teamsters.

Thebrownblob

How difficult would it be to post grievances and their resolution? I believe years ago we did this. We may disagree but I encourage younger members to stay involved. Just be ready to accept disappointments. You are the future of the Teamsters.
It wouldn’t be difficult, but it might be confusing, especially with people looking to twist decisions such as yourself. What disappointment are you talking about?
Really not that hard to come to a meeting or dial a number. I highly doubt you are concern is altruistic. Most likely looking to divide.

PT Car Washer

It wouldn’t be difficult, but it might be confusing, especially with people looking to twist decisions such as yourself. What disappointment are you talking about?
Really not that hard to come to a meeting or dial a number. I highly doubt you are concern is altruistic. Most likely looking to divide.
45 year Teamster and son of a retired Teamster. The company wants to divide the membership and have done a very good job of it with PT and FT and 22.3 and 22.4 and Article 40. Hopefully this will be my last contract fight. Unless you young guys blow it again.

Thebrownblob

45 year Teamster and son of a retired Teamster. The company wants to divide the membership and have done a very good job of it with PT and FT and 22.3 and 22.4 and Article 40. Hopefully this will be my last contract fight. Unless you young guys blow it again.
Lack of participation, and members taking advantage of contractual, loopholes, and using it to their advantage, has done a very good job of dividing.

You were here longer than me you didn’t fight very hard before I was here. I suspect you’re not fighting very hard now as long as you get yourself taken care of.

Lots of Teamsters we’re in the back of the Teamster magazine as bringing reproach upon this organization with 30 and 40 years in this organization so your length of service is not necessarily equal to being a good teamster

FozziesDeliveries

I like the idea of knowing my coworkers are filing grievences. I don't need details, but like hearing that grievences are filed. In a non hostile center i believe it has helped us newer drivers grow some back bone because alot of the long timers complain but never file to "keep the peace."

Thebrownblob

I like the idea of knowing my coworkers are filing grievences. I don't need details, but like hearing that grievences are filed. In a non hostile center i believe it has helped us newer drivers grow some back bone because alot of the long timers complain but never file to "keep the peace."
Absolutely it’s good for the Steward to keep people updated and involved.
Handing out grievance checks to members seems to get other members interested

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
How can I find out exactly what drivers & preloaders are making for grievance amounts?

The pt stewards are always telling me not to say anything about how much I make to other drivers but some of the checks are get are pathetic. I feel like their buddies are making out better but want to confirm it if it’s true.
Start taking your damn breaks…

PT Car Washer

Lack of participation, and members taking advantage of contractual, loopholes, and using it to their advantage, has done a very good job of dividing.

You were here longer than me you didn’t fight very hard before I was here. I suspect you’re not fighting very hard now as long as you get yourself taken care of.

Lots of Teamsters we’re in the back of the Teamster magazine as bringing reproach upon this organization with 30 and 40 years in this organization so your length of service is not necessarily equal to being a good teamster
Close the loopholes then. I have said for years to eliminate Art 40 from the contract but you would rather talk about AC in package cars.

Thebrownblob

Close the loopholes then. I have said for years to eliminate Art 40 from the contract but you would rather talk about AC in package cars.
L O L never once have said I want AC in the package car. Would not do me a bit of good. Article 40 is the most convoluted trash article in the contract. It doesn’t really even make sense. You have to stand on your head and read it upside down to make sense of it.

PT Car Washer

L O L never once have said I want AC in the package car. Would not do me a bit of good. Article 40 is the most convoluted trash article in the contract. It doesn’t really even make sense. You have to stand on your head and read it upside down to make sense of it.
And yet it supersedes all other Articles in the contract. Is there even a movement to have it removed?

Brownt10

Grievances and their resolution should be posted on the Union bulletin board at work. Perhaps this would encourage more Union members to be involved.
Exactly but the ones crying about why I want to know are prob the same company boys getting hooked up. If they knew someone else was making way more in grievance checks & never defending the contract they’d be the first to cry

Brownt10

Nope, it’s private union business go to talk to your BA and come to monthly meetings.

Teamsters Oath
I, (GIVE NAME) , PLEDGE MY HONOR TO FAITHFULLY OBSERVE THE CONSTITUTION AND THE LAWS OF THE INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF TEAMSTERS AND THE BY-LAWS AND LAWS OF THIS LOCAL UNION.

I PLEDGE THAT I WILL COMPLY WITH ALL THE RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR THE GOVERNMENT OF THE INTERNATIONAL UNION AND THIS LOCAL UNION.

I WILL FAITHFULLY PERFORM ALL THE DUTIES ASSIGNED TO ME TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY AND SKILL.

I WILL CONDUCT MYSELF AT ALL TIMES IN A MANNER AS NOT TO BRING REPROACH UPON MY UNION.

I SHALL TAKE AN AFFIRMATIVE PART IN THE BUSINESS AND ACTIVITIES OF THE UNION AND
ACCEPT AND DISCHARGE MY RESPONSIBILITIES DURING ANY AUTHORIZED STRIKE OR LOCKOUT.

I PLEDGE NOT TO DIVULGE TO NON-MEMBERS THE PRIVATE BUSINESS OF THIS LOCAL UNION, UNLESS AUTHORIZED TO REVEAL SAME.

I WILL NEVER KNOWINGLY HARM A FELLOW MEMBER.

I WILL NEVER DISCRIMINATE AGAINST A FELLOW WORKER ON ACCOUNT OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, SEX, AGE, PHYSICAL DISABILITY, OR NATURAL ORIGIN.

I WILL REFRAIN FROM ANY CONDUCT THAT WOULD INTERFERE WITH THE UNION’S PERFORMANCE OF ITS LEGAL OR CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATIONS.

I WILL AT ALL TIMES BEAR TRUE AND FAITHFUL ALLEGIANCE TO THE INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF TEAMSTERS AND THIS LOCAL UNION.
That’s the biggest joke. Come to my building and see how our stewards treat members they dislike

Brownt10

That’s the thing. Tons of new faces yet they know nothing at all about the union & grievances. Simply going to a meeting once a month does not cut it. U can preach it all day but it starts the day they first punch in

Thebrownblob

Find out if the stewards are only hooking up their “boys”

What’s wrong w/ that?
Did you file a grievance? Did he tell you if won yours? If you didn’t, did he tell you why if you didn’t file a grievance that’s your fault. If the reason doesn’t line up with the contract, call his boss, the president of the local. Or file labor charges. If you’re stewards are voted in start a petition to remove them if they’re so awful to everyone shouldn’t be too hard.

Brownt10

Boo-hoo they’re not God do something about it
You recited a union pledge as if it means anything lol. Next you’re going to tell me politicians take an oath therefore we should trust them. Man I can tell this is the only thing you have ever done w/ your life. Probably one of those low self esteem dudes that wears your local shirt wherever you go