Are managers invincible?

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by TheFearlessBunny, Mar 3, 2015.

1. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

This from the guy who says to wait 'til you're 65 to collect S.S.. If you take it as early as possible (62), you will be 90 for the break even. Dumbest advice I ever heard.

Take it a.s.a.p. because there is no guarantee you will live to see 65.

2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

Please show me where I said that.

BTW, it is best to wait until you are at least 67 before you start drawing SS.

3. moreluck

You mentioned that your financial advisor told you that.

You can wait 'til you are 67, but who knows they will live to 67....do you ?? You'll miss 5 years of $$$ if you die before you turn 67.
    I only have the posts where you call me stupid and your aversion to the union......I deleted all the others I had saved.

4. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

If I die before 67 I will not be missing anything. If I live to be 90 the extra monthly pay out may well be worth it. One size does not fit all.

5. moreluck

look up the average life span of the American male.......actuarial tables can be your friend.

6. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

I agree completely it may make good business sense to take social security at an earlier age (maybe) I still can't take it with me so what matters?

7. moreluck

It matters how you live in your later years.....unless you just plan to be a homeless beach bum. People do have to eat and wear clothes. But I guess begging is in your plans.

8. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

It does not make good business sense to take SS at an earlier age.

9. ZQXC

ZQXC Guest

"So, Do you feel lucky? Well do you punk?"

10. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

The break even point on whether it is better to take Social Security at 62 or wait until full retirement age is 78. It is a question of how long you think you will live plus factor in how much those wasted years of your life spent working when you could be doing something else while your were still younger and presumably healthier.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. 70. Is the maximum age that benefits increase.

12. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Yes, but I was referring to 62 vs normal full retirement age which was 65 but is increasing every year.

13. I think what you are trying to say . 78 is the break even point, if you took it early. Instead of waiting to age 70.

14. Shifting Contents

Shifting Contents Most Help Needed

image.jpg image.jpg

Then what's this language here about part time job selection?

15. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

You get 8% more per year if you wait.

16. It also depends on tour other income. If you plan on taking it at age 62. Work a part time job and collect a pension. They will tax your social security.

17. ZQXC

ZQXC Guest

I ain't working no stinkin' part time job for the man when I leave this gig.

18. What I'm trying to say. Their is a different correct answer for different people.

19. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

you can also take the money at 62 and invest it till your max age and then pay back all the principle to SS and then reapply and get the full benefit .

u can also apply for bennies and deny payment til the later date so that your non working spouse can apply and get a SS payment til you qualify for max payment.

SS doesn dot tell you these things unless you ask the right questions.

ref. from one of my books on social security.