Are "scratch" drivers looked down upon by other drivers?

Dr.Brownz

Like I said, you can't comprehend.
Carry on.
I know the time standards ups creates are so good that one driver here has a ten hour plan done in five while others are 7.5 and take 11 hours to finish; oh also they are so perfect that ours havent been changed for 15 years even though the population in this town has doubled!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I know the time standards ups creates are so good that one driver here has a ten hour plan done in five while others are 7.5 and take 11 hours to finish; oh also they are so perfect that ours havent been changed for 15 years even though the population in this town has doubled!
Just goes to show how little you know about MTM, Work Measurement standards and the application thereof.
Of course, to be fair, there is no need for you to understand.
Carry on.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So you admit the time standards are bs.
No ...
the time standards are what they are.

The application of time standards tend to be more accurate when applied to larger samples.
That is:
For a driver, the allowed time is more accurate over a one month period than any given day.
The entire center allowance for 20 drivers (roughly the same as a month) is more accurate than for any one driver.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
This.

I had this idea the first day I did Saturday air. Each stop had to be looked up manually

Not if you have area knowledge.

I will admit to using my smart phone to look up several stops in an area that I was unfamiliar with. Way too time consuming and it doesn't set up an optimal route.
You don't have area knowledge on the first day you drive Saturday air, TTKU.
Looking up 30 stops on google maps is not more time consuming than fumbling between 10 pages of a map book. In the search bar there's a microphone icon. Touch it, speak the address, swipe up from the bottom of the screen, star the location, repeat. Takes 5 minutes. Then you have a map with all your stops tagged to look at and decide what order you want to run them. Some people just insist on doing things the hard way for no good reason. Technology is a tool you can use to gain area knowledge just like a map book.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
tumblr_lhkdpkhR7C1qcagv9o1_500.gif

Browntown2014

No ...

The application of time standards tend to be more accurate when applied to larger samples.
That is:
For a driver, the allowed time is more accurate over a one month period than any given day.
The entire center allowance for 20 drivers (roughly the same as a month) is more accurate than for any one driver.

So you admit your life's work was nothing more than trying to trick unknowing drivers to skip their lunch and breaks to work for free.

platinum9898

I take my full lunch and sort the truck and still get out early. Hard work should be admired not frowned upon dumb :censored2:s. Why do i want to come home at 9 everyday? Leave that for peak season

rod

Retired 22 years
That is:

Why was every time study I ever had done on 3 back to back perfect weather days where it was so obvious that the loads had been massaged. The 8 cube I had on the route (I could NEVER run scratch on) was always bricked out except for some strange reason if I was having a time study you could open a bowling ally in it. You will never convince me that time studies were anything more than just another excuse for them to have a reason to harass the troops. The outcomes of time studies when I worked were even more juggled with than a BC 200,000th post contest.

bumped

Looking up 30 stops on google maps is not more time consuming than fumbling between 10 pages of a map book. In the search bar there's a microphone icon. Touch it, speak the address, swipe up from the bottom of the screen, star the location, repeat. Takes 5 minutes. Then you have a map with all your stops tagged to look at and decide what order you want to run them. Some people just insist on doing things the hard way for no good reason. Technology is a tool you can use to gain area knowledge just like a map book.

UPS doesn't give me a map or any GPS device, so I must not need any. I just drive around until I find it. Management for some reason doesn't make me run off misloads.

Edited for spelling.

bumped

Why was every time study I ever had done on 3 back to back perfect weather days where it was so obvious that the loads had been massaged. The 8 cube I had on the route (I could NEVER run scratch on) was always bricked out except for some strange reason if I was having a time study you could open a bowling ally in it. You will never convince me that time studies were anything more than just another excuse for them to have a reason to harass the troops. The outcomes of time studies when I worked were even more juggled with than a BC 200,000th post contest.

They tried that on me once. I hit the curb turning right out of the building any everything fell on the floor. I asked how long it took for him (On Car) to put every stop in stop to stop order.

bumped

No ...

That is:

I try that line of thinking with my on car, but it doesn't work. The few times I run an hour under is averaged out with my loop partner that runs almost three hours early. He doesn't want to accept the average.

JL 0513

You must mean 5 seconds. That's all it takes to input an address into Google Maps. It's predictive so can usually be done in 3 seconds.

Opening a map book, then searching for a street in the street index. Then matching the location reference and zeroing in on the location in tiny print, and then figuring out all the turns to get there. Now that's a 5 minute job. 5 minutes we don't have.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You must mean 5 seconds. That's all it takes to input an address into Google Maps. It's predictive so can usually be done in 3 seconds.

Opening a map book, then searching for a street in the street index. Then matching the location reference and zeroing in on the location in tiny print, and then figuring out all the turns to get there. Now that's a 5 minute job. 5 minutes we don't have.
Meant 5 minutes for a new Saturday air driver to look up all his stops on a phone, if even that long.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
They tried that on me once. I hit the curb turning right out of the building any everything fell on the floor. I asked how long it took for him (On Car) to put every stop in stop to stop order.
I don't know as much about time studies as photog but I do know that load quality has nothing to do with it. The time allowance for package selection is a predetermined number it doesn't change regardless of whether you have a good load or a bad load. Time study just looks at external factors like speed limits, walking distance, elevator vs stairs, etc.

JL 0513

Meant 5 minutes for a new Saturday air driver to look up all his stops on a phone, if even that long.

Yup.

Best tool in the world for Saturday Air (for buildings that don't run EDD), is to download the Best Route app. You can input any number of stops and then you hit the optimize button and it calculates the best order to run those stops. Basically a simple Orion for like $8. The app shows all the stops flagged on the map which you could just look at quickly to run it your way too.

It is a HUGE advantage.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So you admit your life's work was nothing more than trying to trick unknowing drivers to skip their lunch and breaks to work for free.
Just for clarification, I was in IE for 10 years of my 40 year stint at UPS
UPS had nothing to do with "my life's work"
I worked at UPS for money and long-term financial stability

Browntown2014

Photog already admitted that time studies were just made up bs used to trick drivers into working off the clock.