Are "scratch" drivers looked down upon by other drivers?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Looks like you cleaned up your act. Hair cut--beard trim. Are you going metro-sexual on us?
Hair is pulled back in a pony-tail - about 8 inches below my shoulders.
Modest attempt at staying socially presentable to my business partners and associates.
Customers seem to like the look and my rogue nature.

Dr.Brownz

1) It's very reasonable
2) Time allowances do reflect a brisk pace and it is included in the Per Stop Allowance
3) Time study and MTM Studies are indeed ingrained
4) did not mean to imply "contractual" but rather the "understanding" between UPS and Teamsters about the fact that Union hourlies are expected to work hard for their wages. Top wages in the industry have to be earned.

TTKU

Youve clearly never read the literature where ups studied what a brisk pace is

Pathetic your still hanging on those old lines

Let me ask you wjst is missing in your life that you feel the need to defend ups even though you are retired? Go out and live your life

Though its not suprising; most management seems to have nothing going for them outside work;

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Let me ask you wjst is missing in your life that you feel the need to defend ups even though you are retired? Go out and live your life

Though its not suprising; most management seems to have nothing going for them outside work;
And yet here you are...

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I was on the I.E. Team that reevaluated Carwash, Hub and Package Delivery and pickup work measurement and since I was certified in MTM which is used to develop the applied time standards, I helped review the applicability of MTM standard times to the applied work measurement. I was also the Time Study coordinator for the Georgia district and the Southeast region for 8 years.
I know more about the development of time standards for tasks and motions used to develop UPS allowances than you could even comprehend.
Go pick on a high schooler who may not see through your bombastic claims.
It would appear you don't even understand this topic well enough to carry on an intelligent conversation.
Carry on with your expansive knowledge of ???????

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
What's MTM?
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1445554521.343803.jpg

Browntown2014

I was on the I.E. Team that reevaluated Carwash, Hub and Package Delivery and pickup work measurement and since I was certified in MTM which is used to develop the applied time standards, I helped review the applicability of MTM standard times to the applied work measurement. I was also the Time Study coordinator for the Georgia district and the Southeast region for 8 years.
I know more about the development of time standards for tasks and motions used to develop UPS allowances than you could even comprehend.
It would appear you don't even understand this topic well enough to carry on an intelligent conversation.

Then you were horrible at your job because the time studies are for poop.

Deemster

It's because we are brothers and care about each other. Guys who speed, jump out of the truck, work off the clock and work through their lunches WILL eventually hurt themselves and their families that they can't wait to get home to at 4pm.
1) You speed...you get into an accident and management who hasn't said a peep about you speeding suddenly says you are a reckless driver and terminates you. Panels aren't quick to reinstate reckless drivers, especially since they now have that data to back up witness accounts of you driving too fast before the accident.
2) You jump out of the truck. You're trashing your joints and tendons. You will end up being out of work for operations and recovery time, if you ever fully recover. Jumping out of the truck without lowering yourself down with the handrail also opens you up to twisting or breaking your ankle from that hole you can't see under the grass or whatever other obstacle is there that you didn't see.
3) Working through your lunch to get out early? Management will eventually start giving you more work once they realize you're this type of guy and then guess what? You'll still have to work for free during your lunch when they add additional work but you won't be getting out early anymore...and you'll still be working for free. Guys who take their lunch in the contractually agreed upon window and don't work for free create jobs.

When you get hurt or in an accident from running and gunning, that manager that thinks you're the best thing since sliced bread will not be there for you.

It's not a sprint--it's a marathon.
As someone who has started driving recently as seasonal this struck a chord with me. Worked my longest day by far today. Started off leaving without......

Edd. ****

Was well after dusk before I had wrapped up an add\cut put on the end of my route. Running blind on it of course. The typical can't see the house numbers routine very hesitant and un-flowing process.

Indeed I was in a rush, flustered and torn between pushing forward blindly or pulling out the phone to map it out. (I did eventually the last 4 or 5 stops)

I also got bumped up from 100-120 to 149 stops today. (Spend break ordering my stops)
Supe keeps calling to see how many stops I had off. More pressure. Push faster.

I see how the whole thing built up to be a potential cluster****.

Once I make book though...

Browntown2014

As someone who has started driving recently as seasonal this struck a chord with me. Worked my longest day by far today. Started off leaving without......

Edd. ****

Was well after dusk before I had wrapped up an add\cut put on the end of my route. Running blind on it of course. The typical can't see the house numbers routine very hesitant and un-flowing process.

Indeed I was in a rush, flustered and torn between pushing forward blindly or pulling out the phone to map it out. (I did eventually the last 4 or 5 stops)

I also got bumped up from 100-120 to 149 stops today. (Spend break ordering my stops)
Supe keeps calling to see how many stops I had off. More pressure. Push faster.

I see how the whole thing built up to be a potential cluster****.

Once I make book though...

There's money to be made by anyone who can develop an app that allows someone to take a picture of addresses and show them on something like google maps.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Thanks but you are as clueless as @Dr.Brownz.
The time studies work as they are designed.
I doubt seriously if your center management even understands how they are developed and for what purpose.
It brings to mind the analogy that if someone needs a screwdriver and you give them a hammer, they will just beat the crap out of whatever it is. In this case, it is drivers.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Photog was part of the management team that came to my building during its Grand Opening when routes from 2 different centers were combined to make a new center and although that was 25 years ago I distinctly remember Photog being very very sharp,and we were hoping he'd eventually be our center manager.

Dr.Brownz

I was on the I.E. Team that reevaluated Carwash, Hub and Package Delivery and pickup work measurement and since I was certified in MTM which is used to develop the applied time standards, I helped review the applicability of MTM standard times to the applied work measurement. I was also the Time Study coordinator for the Georga district and the Southeast region for 8 years.
Certified in mtm?!?! Whhoooaa dude what an accomplishment! Want a goldstar?
All you did was set unrealisitc standards that upper.management decided were good becuase if they worked it would mean high profit margins; nothing to do with being realisti

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Certified in mtm?!?! Whhoooaa dude what an accomplishment! Want a goldstar?
All you did was set unrealisitc standards that upper.management decided were good becuase if they worked it would mean high profit margins; nothing to do with being realisti
Like I said, you can't comprehend.
Carry on.