Are "scratch" drivers looked down upon by other drivers?

Whargoul

My union steward told me that the union does not recognize any of the UPS production numbers. He said those numbers only exist to get me to work harder and that I need to do the job at my own pace.

noahgw92

My union steward told me that the union does not recognize any of the UPS production numbers. He said those numbers only exist to get me to work harder and that I need to do the job at my own pace.
Yeah this job is tough, especially when your truck is filled with irregs and you can't walk in it and then nobody puts the name of the business on their package. Yeah I've gotten calls on the road from the supervisors saying, why do you have this much time at your fourth stop, I proceeded to tell them that there was a gate with no front office and nobody would answer the phone to let me in the gate. Nothing is good enough for them.

Down here in Austin I feel like everyone is about their numbers. Yeah we make good money but is that money good enough to slowly kill yourself cause that's what your doing. I have been a runner before only to find out that I'm still over aloud on time by sometimes an hour or more. People have went soo fast on the routes that it makes it nearly impossible to bonus any more. One older guy says he won't go out unless he has at least 200 stops on his truck and he still bonuses everyday getting back in by 1830 or so. I'm still on preload and not only is it hard on the driver its hard on the preloader too. They have so many boxes you can't put them all on the shelves and eventually end up bricking the whole truck out to where you can't fit another single package in there. Since everyone down here cares about their numbers they all have bricked out truck so we are still loading 4 trucks but way more packages than others. Don't worry the supervisors will adjust your numbers on your trucks to make it look like your only loading 1100 packages, and now my load charts are inaccurate. I'm talking squeezing onto a truck to where you can't even twist your feet because there is no room... It's frustrating.
I'm sorta kinda in the same boat. It's getting ridiculous.

Dr.Brownz

I've never understood why any hourly would care about what another hourly's numbers are.

Maybe your just too nice or your just ignorant; because when speedymcgee goes out and runs and speeds and skips lunch and skips breaks to get done on a route with a bad time study, management will use him to insist the numbers are good; im on a such a route today with 200 stops; should only be a 9 hour day according to management cuz johny runfast did 160 in 8 hours; ill be out for several hours in the dark

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Maybe your just too nice or your just ignorant; because when speedymcgee goes out and runs and speeds and skips lunch and skips breaks to get done on a route with a bad time study, management will use him to insist the numbers are good; im on a such a route today with 200 stops; should only be a 9 hour day according to management cuz johny runfast did 160 in 8 hours; ill be out for several hours in the dark
Who should I call about my UPS driver delivering my packages after dark?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Not your own pace but at a brisk, safe pace.
That is what your wages were negotiated upon.

Last edited:
T

Turdferguson

I've never understood why any hourly would care about what another hourly's numbers are.
So you can see what the magic number is that gets you called into office. An example Phil runs 1:15 over every day and doesn't get called into office. Stan runs 1:20 over and has management up his butt. There for the "Mendoza" line is 1:15 so that's what you shoot for

Dr.Brownz

Not your own pace but at a brisk, safe pace.
That is what your wages were negotiated upon.
Do you know what ups considers brisk?

Its actually a pretty slow pace;
Time allowances on routes dont reflect this and acttually the contract says fair days work for fair days pay

Damn that ups management virus is engrained deep; retired and your still inventing fantasy contractual language

mjjlohn

Not nice, he's just ignorant.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
1) Do you know what ups considers brisk?
Its actually a pretty slow pace;

2) Time allowances on routes don't reflect this and actually the contract says fair days work for fair days pay

3) Damn that ups management virus is engrained deep;
4) retired and your still inventing fantasy contractual language
1) It's very reasonable
2) Time allowances do reflect a brisk pace and it is included in the Per Stop Allowance
3) Time study and MTM Studies are indeed ingrained
4) did not mean to imply "contractual" but rather the "understanding" between UPS and Teamsters about the fact that Union hourlies are expected to work hard for their wages. Top wages in the industry have to be earned.

TTKU