Are the amount of oversized packages at an all time high ?

clean hairy

Even if they did want to pick it up, how many people have a vehicle with enough room to do so?
Good point.
Where I am in Texas, everyone knows a person who has a pickup and will help out for some beer or gas $.
Of course, Home Depot and Lowes will deliver for a few extra bux, and sometimes they will waive the delivery fee to make the sale.
I can see in congested Metro areas where it could be easier to just order online.

Dr.Brownz

I've had quite a few deck sets this week, and a 9 piece sleep number set that took up all my floor space (had to mix/cram usual floor resi's onto shelf with other sections making sorting a nightmare), and on the same day 3 couches for a lady going to the Fred Meyers she worked at, causing me to have to make a special 5 mile RT to deliver them because they took up the entire middle of the truck. The lady at the dock was pissed and told me this would never happen again.

And then (same day as the sleep number and couches) I got a concern that I delivered a bunch of paper to the wrong office , told them I didn't go there that day, OMS lady insisted I go so I went to check and it was all FEDEX boxes. The guy there insisted that I move it for him, said no thats not my job. Got another concern. LOL

Foamer Pyle

Down here, we call the big packages Beef, and man there is a bunch of Beef these days. The old people have no business buying huge grills or furniture online, as they are unable to get the stuff inside their homes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good point.
Where I am in Texas, everyone knows a person who has a pickup and will help out for some beer or gas $.
Of course, Home Depot and Lowes will deliver for a few extra bux, and sometimes they will waive the delivery fee to make the sale.
I can see in congested Metro areas where it could be easier to just order online.

I have a Nissan Altima so my options are limited when it comes to moving large items.

I have used my lunch break to haul large items in my pkg car from the store to my home.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've had quite a few deck sets this week, and a 9 piece sleep number set that took up all my floor space (had to mix/cram usual floor resi's onto shelf with other sections making sorting a nightmare), and on the same day 3 couches for a lady going to the Fred Meyers she worked at, causing me to have to make a special 5 mile RT to deliver them because they took up the entire middle of the truck. The lady at the dock was :censored2: and told me this would never happen again.

And then (same day as the sleep number and couches) I got a concern that I delivered a bunch of paper to the wrong office , told them I didn't go there that day, OMS lady insisted I go so I went to check and it was all FEDEX boxes. The guy there insisted that I move it for him, said no thats not my job. Got another concern. LOL

First concern-----unwarranted.

Second concern----fully warranted.

I am not saying that you should have moved the boxes but I can just imagine how you interacted with the customer. Was the concern an hourly personnel?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Have an amazon queen on my route I know pretty well. Nice lady for the most part.

Said hi to her as she left the pets mart with her stupid lap dog in her arms. A few hours later I'm delivering 3 huge "boxes" of dog food to her house.

I was all like Wtf? I just saw her at Pets mart

She probably cannot handle the 50 pounds from the store to her house and then from her car into the house.

You put it inside her house, or at least on the front porch if she is not home.

Indecisi0n

The problem is that a lot of the businesses like Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc., now offer free shipping over a certain amount. Who in their right mind would want to physically go to a store, buy a 150 grill, and then have to figure out how to get it home, when they can have it delivered FREE to their front door?
Only difference is when they pick it up chances are all the screws didn't fall out of that big hole in the corner of the box.

clean hairy

I have a Nissan Altima so my options are limited when it comes to moving large items.

I have used my lunch break to haul large items in my pkg car from the store to my home.
I have seen on rare occasions, where a person is at Lowes or Home Depot, where they pull up having taken the trunklid off their car at the house to get the item to fit in their car.
Oh, and there was another person was buying boards to repair his fence. They would not fit in his car, so he opened his Sunroof, and stuck the boards in through the sunroof!
SOMETIMES creativity works.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

You have the unmitigated gall to scold other drivers for stretching the rules, yet if you stretch them it's ok.

Un-freaking-believable.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Anytime I have something that's both large and looking beat-up and the customer comments on it, I'm very upfront with them.

I tell them that items large and/or fragile items such as these really don't belong in our system because of their size and the fact that we use belts & not pallets to move items, but the retailer you bought it from uses us because they know if it were to be shipped properly (via freight) you'd be scared off by the shipping cost.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Anytime I have something that's both large and looking beat-up and the customer comments on it, I'm very upfront with them.

I tell them that items large and/or fragile items such as these really don't belong in our system because of their size and the fact that we use belts & not pallets to move items, but the retailer you bought it from uses us because they know if it were to be shipped properly (via freight) you'd be scared off by the shipping cost.

Do you make a note of the condition of the package in the remarks column on the DIAD?

SCV good to go sir.

Three weeks ago I had a box over 6 feet long (quite possibly 7) containing furniture. Dropped that thing off during my NDA run just so I wouldn't have to work around it all day. Package was kind of beat up but nothing too bad. For the next two weeks I noticed it never left the spot I delivered it at by the front door. Then last week I get a call tag to some house on that street. Sure enough it was for that :censored2:ing box. The customer didn't even open or move the damn thing.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
First concern-----unwarranted.

Second concern----fully warranted.

I am not saying that you should have moved the boxes but I can just imagine how you interacted with the customer. Was the concern an hourly personnel?
Both concerns were unwarranted.

We do not touch FedEx packages.

If the guy wanted them moved, do it himself or call FedEx.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Do you make a note of the condition of the package in the remarks column on the DIAD?

If this discussion could in any way lead to my being disciplined or terminated, or affect my personal working conditions, I respectfully request that my union representative, Office, or Shop Steward, be present in this meeting. Without representation present, I choose not to participate in this discussion.