Are there any cabovers or 40' drop frames still in service?

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
These both used to be so common at one time they symbolized the company's feeder dept.

The last cabover I saw in my neck of the woods was three years ago.

I can't remember the last time I saw a 40' drop frame being used, except as a yard trailer.

over9five

Staff member
I saw a cabover in Norwood, Ma maybe two years ago.

And there was a 40' drop frame in our yard maybe a month ago. Sat there for several days, then was gone.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
I think both are pretty much extinct at this point. The drop frames that I've seen have had a paint roller taken to them and are now sheds. The last cabover that I saw was in a training film.

cinemaslave

Wow, I have not seen a 40 foot drop frame for years. Out here(Oregon), we still have a few cabovers. I think they are called Argosseys(help me with spelling). I enjoy driving those any chance I get but I am only back-up still so it's not very often.

raceanoncr

Ain't seen any brown COEs for awhile. Well, did a couple yrs ago in Cach still. Bet they're gone now.

Last time we were in Denver, they had some white COEs for pulling triples. Man, those had to be nasty rides. Never did sleep in the old TransCon or PIE single axle sleepers but those were the days before air ride ANYTHING! They had to be killer.

dragracer66

Just put a set of tires on a 40ft drop on wed it was a 847** I cant remember the last 2 digits. For those of you old timers it orginally had the red stripes on the front and rear of the trailer. It was going out with 2 sleeper guys to demoines. Does anybody remember what the red stripe and the yellow stripe paint on those old rail trailers meant. I do let see if anybody else does.....

Ain't seen any brown COEs for awhile. Well, did a couple yrs ago in Cach still. Bet they're gone now.

Last time we were in Denver, they had some white COEs for pulling triples. Man, those had to be nasty rides. Never did sleep in the old TransCon or PIE single axle sleepers but those were the days before air ride ANYTHING! They had to be killer.

More like 10 years. The bottom rung on the tractor pile is the short nose International now. I did see a C O Mack last summer come in the yard,you would have thought everyone saw a ghost.

NEFARIOUS

BOTTOM FEEDER
Quite a few years back we had a Co Mack come in our yard for a peak season run tractor. I got to drive it around the yard a few times setting trailers. I guess it broke down on the driver cause we only had it for like 3 days then they gave him a Mack ch. I got to drive one of those International short nose tractors we call them quarter pounders. Man those trucks suck ride like a brick and no power to pull the hills:knockedout:.

Quite a few years back we had a Co Mack come in our yard for a peak season run tractor. I got to drive it around the yard a few times setting trailers. I guess it broke down on the driver cause we only had it for like 3 days then they gave him a Mack ch. I got to drive one of those International short nose tractors we call them quarter pounders. Man those trucks suck ride like a brick and no power to pull the hills:knockedout:.

Don`t forget the patented steering column being too close to the brake pedal. In the winter with boots on nothing will give you a scare like having your toe hit the column and not allow you to get your foot on the brake very well.

over9five

Staff member
I used to have a car that when you hit the brake your foot would also be on the gas. You'd push harder and harder and start to panic cuz the car wouldn't stop!

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I call the short hood Internationals "snub noses". We still have quite a few of them. They make good yard and city tractors, they steer tighter than a Mack. I agree with those who say they ride like crap, especially when bobtailing. My head has hit the ceiling on occasion going over bumps...I learned to sit in them like I was "low riding" hehe.

I really do not like the "long nose" Intl. Thankfully, most of those are going bye bye where I am at. I especially did not like the air dams on those, they run down the sides and make it a high wire act to swing from the cab to the deck plate.

All of the older International's interiors do not hold up over time. They definitely were not designed to last 15 years!

raceanoncr

Just put a set of tires on a 40ft drop on wed it was a 847** I cant remember the last 2 digits. For those of you old timers it orginally had the red stripes on the front and rear of the trailer. It was going out with 2 sleeper guys to demoines. Does anybody remember what the red stripe and the yellow stripe paint on those old rail trailers meant. I do let see if anybody else does.....

Red stripes on the front bevels and rear meant for rail use as opposed to road use.

Yellow meant had pintle hook on back for double 40s or trains.

Most of the road 40s, tho, had numbers like 34092. The rail 40s always started with 8. Plus the stripes, of course.

dragracer66

Red stripes on the front bevels and rear meant for rail use as opposed to road use.

Yellow meant had pintle hook on back for double 40s or trains.

Most of the road 40s, tho, had numbers like 34092. The rail 40s always started with 8. Plus the stripes, of course.
Race.... I knew you would know it. I should have said "does anybody (but raceanoncr) know what the stripes mean" very good!!!!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I drove our last MH Mack in our district before it was ADA and I also had the last International CO before that was ADA. I was low man on totem pole.That must have been back in 2004 or so. That Inty CO was a bitch to drive.When going TO it was worse...:sick: