Are you making enough to make payments on a house????

Brown Down

being in the cheapest state my mortgage for a 2200 square foot house on a full basement/garage was 850 for a 30 year when i got my loan. now my property has magically almost tripled in value so i'd hate to see what mine would go to now.

kforte36

being in the cheapest state my mortgage for a 2200 square foot house on a full basement/garage was 850 for a 30 year when i got my loan. now my property has magically almost tripled in value so i'd hate to see what mine would go to now.
Wow that's hard to believe.

DriverNerd

I bet. When rates were low we took our 30 yr down to 15 @ 2.85% and kept the payment almost the same. When we bought the place figured I’d be paying until I walked out of here. The extra 10 years will be nice.
I did the same thing. I always overpaid before and I never had to change the amount I paid with the refi. Paying off the house should be a nice gift to myself for my 50th birthday. Never thought that would have been possible.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I was in your neighborhood last winter. Saw a bunch of 1200 square foot ramblers 100 yards off the the water. Thought maybe 650K-750k. Checked Zillow, damn things are worth 1.5 at the cheapest.

I have an uncle who lives in California near the ocean..just checked out the current real estate for sale in his area….1,300 sq ranch, 3 bedroom, 2 bath (2,190,000).

I bought a 1,800 sq foot, 3 bedroom, two bath pre Civil War house over ten years ago in the Midwest that would make that property look pale in comparison. 3/4 of an acre, detached 1,200 sq foot garage and loft for less than (180,000).

Read a book back in the 90’s that predicted the housing market would die in the 2000’s..still remember it quoting “never buy a home just for an investment, buy a home that you would be comfortable to live in for the rest of your life”

542thruNthru

I have an uncle who lives in California near the ocean..just checked out the current real estate for sale in his area….1,300 sq ranch, 3 bedroom, 2 bath (2,190,000).
What did he buy that home for in the beginning?
I bought a 1,800 sq foot, 3 bedroom, two bath pre Civil War house over ten years ago in the Midwest that would make that property look pale in comparison. 3/4 of an acre, detached 1,200 sq foot garage and loft for less than. (180,000).
What that pre civil war house cost now if you sold it?
Read a book back in the 90’s that predicted the housing market would die in the 2000’s..still remember it quoting “never buy a home just for an investment, buy a home that you would be comfortable to live in for the rest of your life”
Oh yeah? The person that wrote that book lives in the God awful Midwest and knows his buyers

Any home you bought in CA in the 90s has probably tripled or quadrupled easily in value. But hey... your 3/4 acre home is so cute and perfect and has went up maybe 10% in value in 10 years. Don't worry, when you die ill buy it for triple the price without blinking and eye and sell your neighbors the book you read to help them slept at night while other like me take over your state.

You old people and your sense of Nostalgia are the reason you're so easily conned. Don't worry that Nigerian prince will pay you back soon. Lol :)

Thebrownblob

Oh yeah? The person that wrote that book lives in the God awful Midwest and knows his buyers

Any home you bought in CA in the 90s has probably tripled or quadrupled easily in value. But hey... your 3/4 acre home is so cute and perfect and has went up maybe 10% in value in 10 years. Don't worry, when you die ill buy it for triple the price without blinking and eye and sell your neighbors the book you read to help them slept at night while other like me take over your state.

You old people and your sense of Nostalgia are the reason you're so easily conned. Don't worry that Nigerian prince will pay you back soon. Lol :)
The early 90s in CA had a housing crash…

“It then took another four years for prices to recover to their previous highs. Meaning that those who bought a home in Los Angeles in 1990 had to wait 10 YEARS – until 2000 – to recover their acquisition value. Note that similar home price declines also occurred in Orange County and Riverside.”

I sold two condos in Southern California

One in the Alisa Viejo in 2005, for $349,000 was bought in 1995 102k less than 1000 ft.².

Another in Costa Mesa that was purchased new in 1978 for $58,000, sold in 2012 for 380k about 1400 ft.²

Looking at Zillow, both of these condos are close to double those prices now.

No idea how normal people afford Such small living spaces for ridiculous prices.

DELACROIX

My uncle bought his house in 1999 for 683,000, currently it is valued at 3,190,000.

My property is presently valued at 300,000, I pay around 3,000 annually for real estate tax, property insurance 900 a year. I did not research what my uncle is paying for his property tax and insurance, I am guessing it is huge.

I believe the author of the book lived in New York.

When I pass, plan on passing it along to my kids.
In reality a 170 year old well maintained house is now a work of art and would be considered priceless.

Consider myself old true, but the alternative would be worst.

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

My uncle bought his house in 1999 for 683,000, currently it is valued at 3,190,000.

My property is presently valued at 300,000, I pay around 3,000 annually for real estate tax, property insurance 900 a year. I did not research what my uncle is paying for his property tax and insurance, I am guessing it is huge.

In reality a 170 year old well maintained house is now a work of art and would be considered priceless.

Don’t forget the typical Southern California conversation about going out to do anything…….

Me: let’s go to Huntington Beach to that really good Mexican restaurant it’s about 30 minutes away

Southern California resident:
What time is it?

Me: it’s about 4 PM

Southern California resident:
You’re crazy the 405 will be a parking lot. That’s a three hour drive!

😂😂

qdg2

Our newest neighbors are from CA. In their 80's. Nice people.....and very conservative. They left CA, because of people like you.

Think hard of how your life would be.....if you didn't have that high paying union job. Please spare us how you skipped being a brain surgeon.

There used to be a saying about CA: Land of fruits and nuts.....back when I was a kid. They weren't talking about almonds and Cuties....

Thebrownblob

Our newest neighbors are from CA. In their 80's. Nice people.....and very conservative. They left CA, because of people like you.

Think hard of how your life would be.....if you didn't have that high paying union job. Please spare us how you skipped being a brain surgeon.

There used to be a saying about CA: Land of fruits and nuts.....back when I was a kid. They weren't talking about almonds and Cuties....
You certainly slept on the wrong side of the bed this morning. 😂

I hope your day is more pleasant than your morning.

DELACROIX

The early 90s in CA had a housing crash…

“It then took another four years for prices to recover to their previous highs. Meaning that those who bought a home in Los Angeles in 1990 had to wait 10 YEARS – until 2000 – to recover their acquisition value. Note that similar home price declines also occurred in Orange County and Riverside.”

I sold two condos in Southern California

One in the Alisa Viejo in 2005, for $349,000 was bought in 1995 102k less than 1000 ft.².

Another in Costa Mesa that was purchased new in 1978 for $58,000, sold in 2012 for 380k about 1400 ft.²

Looking at Zillow, both of these condos are close to double those prices now.

No idea how normal people afford Such small living spaces for ridiculous prices.

Did a quick gander at the property tax and home insurance rate for a 3,000,000 dollar home. In California the annual tax rate is around 12,000..property or home insurance another 8,000 (discount rate).

@Thebrownblob ... I guess the (normal) people have to live in middle America..those prices are beyond reach for the Union types barely clearing 1,500 a week, forget about these 22.4's..renters for life.

Again we are become a two class society, the rich and the lower middle class or poor. Sure puts a perspective on our current Contract talks, face it if you are not clearing 100,000 a year you are losing ground big time...

DELACROIX

Wait till their governor passes the "Reparations Bill"...💲💲💲💲💲..somebody has to pay..guess who?

oldngray

nowhere special
z-fun-memes-35.jpeg

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Maybe not go to graduate school at 90k a pop, buying 90k cars/trucks on 84 month payments at 5%, $9 coffee every morning, while driving to your PT job at UPS and wonder why you can’t afford a house.

Personal responsibility, make it happen or stop making excuses. Please, tell ‘me how I’m fortunate, I worked two FT jobs before dropping one to work PT here for insurance.