Are You Ready For Vegas IBT Conference??

SoCalUPS

Vegas weather is beautiful this time of year, wonderful pool weather. The best part of Vegas will be to exercise your democratic right to vote. Are you going?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Vegas weather is beautiful this time of year, wonderful pool weather. The best part of Vegas will be to exercise your democratic right to vote. Are you going?

For whomever is going, don't forget to bring the $500 to donate to the H. campaign. (And no, it is not optional.)

About as crooked as the Ohio Conference.

bbsam

Staff member
I've always wondered what could possibly get done at a Vegas convention but a bunch of attendees signing on to any crazy proposition as quickly as possible just to get back to the party. It would be like holding an annual shareholders meeting at Mardi Gras in New Orleans.

Brown Spider

Well if you find yourself out there, I got the first round.

It's not actually a conference...it's the IBT Convention...but hey, you're heading out there with the right attitude. Pools and booze, right? Too bad some of the old gang can't make it. Presser, McCarthy, Provenzano, Fitzsimmons...now those guys knew how to party! Yep...just belly up to the bar, do a cannonball into the pool at 2:00 am and all is right in the world of Organized Labor. Jeeeezus!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
="Brown Spider, post: 2234778, member: 52461 "It's not actually a conference...it's the IBT Convention...but hey, you're heading out there with the right attitude. Pools and booze, right? Too bad some of the old gang can't make it. Presser, McCarthy, Provenzano, Fitzsimmons...now those guys knew how to party! Yep...just belly up to the bar, do a cannonball into the pool at 2:00 am and all is right in the world of Organized Labor. Jeeeezus!

Some of the best hookers hang out at the pool.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I've always wondered what could possibly get done at a Vegas convention but a bunch of attendees signing on to any crazy proposition as quickly as possible just to get back to the party. It would be like holding an annual shareholders meeting at Mardi Gras in New Orleans.

Labor unions hold conventions in Las Vegas due to it having some of the highest density of union-represented members in the hospitality industry. Most (if not all) unions' bylaws generally have clauses or articles about paying for only union-made goods and/or services if it all possible with the members' dues money. There probably aren't that many unionized hotels that can hold thousands of delegates while simultaneously hosting the convention in the same building or within walking distance. I wouldn't expect somebody who abuses the Independent Contractor model to make a living to understand the nuances of solidarity and supporting a common cause.

As an addendum, people can goof off and party in just about any town that isn't in a dry county. Vegas just has legal prostitution and gambling.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Where did you hear that ?

I have yet, to have anyone suggest that.

3 IBT conventions.... and counting.

-Bug-

$100 a day for 5 days is $500 total expected to be donated to H from every delegate at the convention. Or else.......try winning another grievance at a panel.

The standard line told to every newly elected executive board and their delegates going to the convention.

bbsam

Staff member
wouldn'texpectsomebody who abuses the IndependentContractor model to make a living to understandthe nuances of solidarity and supporting acommon cause.

It has far less to do and more to do with my own drug addiction. There is a certain way to party and trying to squeeze convention stuff in during a party at a party mecca like Vegas is absurd to me.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
$100 a day for 5 days is $500 total expected to be donated to H from every delegate at the convention. Or else.......try winning another grievance at a panel.

The standard line told to every newly elected executive board and their delegates going to the convention.

And I will be fair here Bug.

I don't know if this applies to every local in the country, but I can guarantee you that it applies to every local falling under the jurisdiction of the Ohio Conference of Teamsters.

Even with the resignation of Bill L, this policy still stands per Pat D whether the local is H friendly or not.

Bring the $500, donate happily to the H fund, or feel the wrath of the powers that be.

bbsam

Staff member
Labor unions hold conventions in Las Vegas due to it having some of the highest density of union-represented members in the hospitality industry. Most (if not all) unions' bylaws generally have clauses or articles about paying for only union-made goods and/or services if it all possible with the members' dues money. There probably aren't that many unionized hotels that can hold thousands of delegates while simultaneously hosting the convention in the same building or within walking distance. I wouldn't expect somebody who abuses the Independent Contractor model to make a living to understand the nuances of solidarity and supporting a common cause.

As an addendum, people can goof off and party in just about any town that isn't in a dry county. Vegas just has legal prostitution and gambling.
If you want to talk about union solidarity, can you tell me when the last time is that UPS drivers went on strike to support Teamsters at another company? Did Teamsters strike with their dock worker brothers a couple years ago? Solidarity is a pretty word though.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you want to talk about union solidarity, can you tell me when the last time is that UPS drivers went on strike to support Teamsters at another company? Did Teamsters strike with their dock worker brothers a couple years ago? Solidarity is a pretty word though.

UPS hourlies honored the recent Verizon strike by not crossing their picket lines.