Are you smarter then a twilight sort manager?

Back to the subject at hand, more than directly disobeying a direct order, he was rather unprofessional by laughing at his full time sup. That is not going to help at all.

He can laugh all he wants as long as he's headed to the area he was directed to.

That said, being disrespectful in a public situation might get him put in the bulk blow-out load with laughing sups outside it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
He can laugh all he wants as long as he's headed to the area he was directed to.

That said, being disrespectful in a public situation might get him put in the bulk blow-out load with laughing sups outside it.
I don't know what a FT sup is...my FT sup is my center manager. A PT sup..they need to be laughed at sometimes...takes them down a notch.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
An employee, let's call him Keith, walks into the hub for his twilight shift and the sort manager, Tim, happens to be standing there.

Tim tells Keith (who is the most senior employee on his PD) that he is going to be working in the unload tonight. Keith informs him that he has seniority and would prefer to remain on his PD. Tim says that if Keith doesn't immediately report to the unload he will be fired for failing to work as directed.

Keith simply laughs and walks away.

What did Keith find so funny?

He was thinking about the driver that killed the dog on his route?

laffter

You have seniority. In an "as needed" situation they can pull you. But with your years in you're not going to have a problem if out of the blue they bring in a new hire to do your loads and toss you back in unload?

It doesn't happen in our building.

It doesn't happen in my building either. Management tends to respect seniority for part timers when it comes to what work is needed to be done. They give them options. However, I'm talking about actual RIGHTS provided by the Teamsters contract with UPS- something you can file a grievance against. For my own benefit and knowledge, I'd like to see where it talks about part time employee's seniority rights when it comes to non-bid work during their own shift.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It doesn't happen in my building either. Management tends to respect seniority for part timers when it comes to what work is needed to be done. They give them options. However, I'm talking about actual RIGHTS provided by the Teamsters contract with UPS- something you can file a grievance against. For my own benefit and knowledge, I'd like to see where it talks about part time employee's seniority rights when it comes to non-bid work during their own shift.
Believe me...It has nothing to do with respect. It's that those of us who've been here for years will get the job done with minimal problems...it makes there numbers look better.

oldngray

nowhere special
Sometimes its just a case of needing to throw a warm body someplace to plug a temporary hole. That is a lot different from a permanent work change.

Work safe or not at all.

Tim says " That's not an option on the table. We're short in that area. Report to it or report to the office for resignation".

Then tell Tim that blatant seniority violation = harassment = hostile work environment, and that no one is forced to work in a hostile work environment. They honor seniority in my building in order to avoid just this situation.

File early, file often.

Then tell Tim that blatant seniority violation = harassment = hostile work environment, and that no one is forced to work in a hostile work environment. They honor seniority in my building in order to avoid just this situation.

File early, file often.

I don't disagree with the situation. What I'm trying to point out is that Keith can swing his dick all he wants but the thing to do is work as directed and grieve later.
The described way the incident went down could have led to his termination if the manager wanted to. And he could have made it stick.
Lets look at it like this. Keith is told to report to unload. He laughs in managers face and walks off. Manager let's Keith go and gets others to unload. After problem is over Mgr Tim grabs a union steward and goes and finds Keith and hauls him to office and terminates him for both insubordination and refusing to work as directed. When it comes up at panel hub manager describes how Keith's refusal to work unload led to the trailer not being down on time and consequently having service failures. Keith does not get his job back.
Or........Keith works as directed and asks to speak to a union steward. Files grievance. Wins grievance. Mgmt follows seniority order the next time or Keith files again.

One way Keith is getting paid. The other he gets the shaft.

Last edited: