Ask A Retired Person, Retirement FAQ. ( ON TOPIC )

twoweeled

Good...Good, so you took my advice and redid your will taking out the pool boy and the gardener? Good!
Nowadays, it seems if you have the wife in the will - well the pool boy is coming too. Now you see my problem.
preoccupied-man-scratching-his-head-looking-solution-portrait-51883961.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a quick question regarding the payouts for vacations and/or unused personal or sick time when you retire.

My official retirement date is 6/23. I have scheduled my 6 weeks of vacation to begin w/e 5/19. We are paid for our vacations two Fridays prior to the Friday of the vacation week, which should mean that I would get paid for the vacations on 5/4.

This is my question:

Will I receive all 6 vacation checks on 5/4 or will they pay them out one week at a time?

trickpony1

You should get all 6 checks on 5/4.
I know someone who did that.

Your extra check for accrued vacation time will be at the center shortly after you retire.

trickpony1

What extra check?

Dave, Dave, Dave....
We've talked about this and, again, I know someone who did this.

Each time you punch in since January 1, 2018 counts as a "report".
Vacation days count as "reports".
Sick days count as "reports".

After you are officially gone, a LIVE check (this means you have to cash it) will be house mailed to your center. This is for the vacation time you accrued since January 1, 2018.

Someone said you have to ask for it. I'm not aware this is true.

oldngray

nowhere special
What is normally done is schedule all your vacation after the last day you actually work. Your official retirement day won't be until after those vacation weeks.

Here everyone gets their new vacation weeks Jan 1 so people schedule their vacations then and officially retire in Feb.

If they want to do it that way that is. Some retire at different times of the year - mostly when they get enough time for another year of pension credit.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dave, Dave, Dave....
We've talked about this and, again, I know someone who did this.

Each time you punch in since January 1, 2018 counts as a "report".
Vacation days count as "reports".
Sick days count as "reports".

After you are officially gone, a LIVE check (this means you have to cash it) will be house mailed to your center. This is for the vacation time you accrued since January 1, 2018.

Someone said you have to ask for it. I'm not aware this is true.

I just sent my BA a text to ask him if this is true.