At what point is it "too late" to be making deliveries?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Yes, I am an accomplice and I have two main co-conspirators.
The teamsters and UPS corporate, neither do their job correctly.
I am just taking/earning the Stupid money UPS is willing to pay and putting it into the bank.
15 months from now, I will Thank them.

How is the union at fault when your management team instructs you to falsify your delivery records? And what would be the problem with you sheeting the stops as "missed" per the methods?

satellitedriver

How is the union at fault when your management team instructs you to falsify your delivery records? And what would be the problem with you sheeting the stops as "missed" per the methods?

As to the union;
the BA not supporting any over 9.5 grievances due to the contract language that states extended routes-( those that over 150 miles)- can not file on 9.5's.
As to sheeting a pkg as missed,
I do not need the problems that would arise.
I do not tilt at windmills, my dear Sancho.

soberups

As to the union;
the BA not supporting any over 9.5 grievances due to the contract language that states extended routes-( those that over 150 miles)- can not file on 9.5's.

Well, the language is what it is. Were you aware of it when you chose to bid an extended route?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As to sheeting a pkg as missed,
I do not need the problems that would arise.
I do not tilt at windmills, my dear Sancho.

How does honestly recording stops per the prescribed methods equate to tilting at windmills?

At the very least, if you are going to continue to enable your management team to lie, you should at least have them put it in writing that you are being instructed to sheet the missed stops as EC. Otherwise, you are setting yourself up to get fired for dishonesty if LP got wind of what you were doing....and I highly doubt that your management team would admit the truth if it was your word against theirs.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've posted this before but we had a temporary Christmas driver stay out one night until after 4:00 A.M. He had brought back a bunch of stuff the day before so the center manager told him he didn't care how late he had to work- just get rid of everything.:happy2:

22.34life

maybe its different here in texas but i have never seen a driver work more than 12 hours not counting his hour lunch,i believe its a dot violation in texas.someone correct me if im wrong on this.in my center which is the latest of all the centers in my building even in peak i have never seen a driver out past 10:30 pm.

JustTired

free at last.......
For those of you in this situation and know that there are upper management on your area......might I suggest holding there delivery til the end of your day (if not too far off trace) and beating the living crap out of their front door while ringing the bell continuously until someone answers. Then hand them the package and reply "have a nice night"!
Maybe after getting pulled out of bed several times they might get a clue. Or, they might start requesting a delivery company that works humane hours!

soberups

My son delivers for Papa John's and they just extended their delivery hours to 3 am now that college is back in session. Do you think I want him out knocking on doors at 2-3 in the morning?

The guy who delivered my pizza last week looked familiar, and I finally remembered him as being a fellow member of my local gun club.

The fanny pack that he was wearing to store his cash and reciepts in had a rather distinct looking "bulge" in it. I own an identical fanny pack, and when I am wearing it out late at night it also has that distinct looking "bulge" in it.

I asked him if he was ever concerned about being out late at night with large amounts of cash. He just looked at me and smiled and said..."no, not really."

UPS Lifer

I spoke with a driver yesterday who had worked 14 hours.... So my question is----at what point does it become unprofessional and downright unsafe to be making residential deliveries at night? Is it really an acceptable business practice to be knocking on doors, going into back yards or garages, or waking people up at 10:00 at night in order to deliver packages? ...At what point is it time to just "call it a night" and sheet the stops as missed?

So - I know you well enough to say - You already have an answer for this question! Without complaining and looking at this very clinically and if you were dispatching the center... What is the right thing to do? What is the appropriate time to call it quits in a residential area? I will give you my opinion after I get your opinion.

soberups

So - I know you well enough to say - You already have an answer for this question! Without complaining and looking at this very clinically and if you were dispatching the center... What is the right thing to do? What is the appropriate time to call it quits in a residential area? I will give you my opinion after I get your opinion.

Generally speaking I would say 8:30 ought to be the cutoff time. There could be exceptions made in cases of late air or weather-related emergencies.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Our Division Manager was just transferred to Oregon. Maybe he was sent there to straighten things out, He's hard on production but no one of goes out with close to that kind of dispatch.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
He was a cover driver, sent out on the route cold, to an area he had absolutely no knowledge of. Like me, he was recently involuntarily transferred to this new center so his 4 years of area knowledge on his old center are now useless. And the route he got put on is an exceptionally tough one to do cold; the streets are narrow and poorly lit, parking is a huge issue, EDD is a farce, and the addresses are a confusing mix of city and unincorporated suburban number grids.

When every route in the loop is already getting dispatched with 11+ hour planned days as a matter of routine and one of the regular drivers is sick or on vacation, a cover driver with no area knowledge on such a route is dead meat. He doesnt have a chance. No one else in the loop can help him because they are maxed out themselves.

And the situation I am describing is not the exception, it is the norm for this new center. In my 23 years at UPS it is by far the most chaotic and dysfunctional operation I have ever been a part of. At one point last month the center paid out over $5000 in penalty pay for sixty-four over-9.5 grievances that were filed in one week.

Last week I had 14 hours of OT, including an 11.8 hour day that I made bonus on. And I had it easy compared to most.

The real fun starts on Monday Oct. 4th. On that day, my building is transferring 15 routes up to the new facility on Swan Island that is in the process of implementing EDD. Most of those routes will be run cold by the drivers who bid them as part of the change-of-operations procedure. And the routes in my building that those drivers vacated have also been bid on, and will also be run cold that day by the successful bidders. All told, there will be at least 20 routes going out for which the drivers have no training at all.

The whole mess would be manageble if we could just cut back on the planned days and make some help available during the transition. But it wont happen that way; Atlanta will just keep on cramming an impossible number of stops down everybody's throat and make an already insane situation even worse. Its going to be an absolute custerfluck, and its happening just in time for peak season.

Part of me is dreading it, the other part of me is looking forward to it with a sort of morbid fascination....the same sort of fascination that compels you to look at a car wreck as you drive by. If I didnt actually have to work here, I would want to grab a seat and get a bucket of popcorn and watch the drama unfold.

Sober thanks for the follow-up. It sounds like everyone's worst nightmare in your building.

Do they really pay the 9.5 grievances that fast or do you file and they get payed on down the road.

COSMOS

The 11 hours DOT allows you to drive starts the minute you pull out of the building and doesn't stop until you return that night. Be careful, the fines for those violations can be levied against the driver or the carrier.

over9five

Staff member
The 11 hours DOT allows you to drive starts the minute you pull out of the building and doesn't stop until you return that night. Be careful, the fines for those violations can be levied against the driver or the carrier.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. The 11 hour "timer" stops every time you turn off your PC. Selecting, walking off, delivering, returning does not contribute to the 11 hours driving time.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Wrong, wrong, wrong. The 11 hour "timer" stops every time you turn off your PC. Selecting, walking off, delivering, returning does not contribute to the 11 hours driving time.

Too fast Ovah ... beat me to it.

DS

Fenderbender
Here in Ontario(for what it's worth),if they decide the volume is low overall,which is rare,they tell us to call in if we are going to go over 9.5.
If its heavy,they just say keep it under 12 hours,so I guess here,9:50 would be the latest we can punch out including all breaks.
By law here its 13 hours driving or 14 hours on the clock.
I don't know about you folks,but most areas here are quite tight,so theres less driving involved and more working.
By 7PM I am really tired,and I tend to work a lot slower delivering those last 20-40 resis.
In my opinion 8:00pm should be time to call it a day if not just in the name of safety.
There are 5 other drivers within 15 minutes of me at any given time,so its a completely
different animal that satellitedriver and I have to fight.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I was soberups I would no longer be sober with those kinda days.
Too bad Integrity is not in your center,he'd fix things :wink2:

over9five

Staff member
By 7PM I am really tired,and I tend to work a lot slower delivering those last 20-40 resis.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+1. You and me both brothah!

tourists24

Here in Ontario(for what it's worth),if they decide the volume is low overall,which is rare,they tell us to call in if we are going to go over 9.5.
If its heavy,they just say keep it under 12 hours,so I guess here,9:50 would be the latest we can punch out including all breaks.
By law here its 13 hours driving or 14 hours on the clock.
I don't know about you folks,but most areas here are quite tight,so theres less driving involved and more working.
In my opinion 8:00pm should be time to call it a day if not just in the name of safety.
There are 5 other drivers within 15 minutes of me at any given time,so its a completely
different animal that satellitedriver and I have to fight.
If I was soberups I would no longer be sober with those kinda days.
Too bad Integrity is not in your center,he'd fix things :wink2:
According to some sups on here, it doesnt matter how late you work. It can still be done safely. So what's the problem?