Atheism ON TOPIC

El Correcto

god is dead
"Every being that exists either exists by itself, by its own essence or nature, or it does not exist by itself. If it exists by its own essence, then it exists necessarily and eternally, and explains itself. It cannot not exist, as a triangle cannot not have three sides. If, on the other hand, a being exists but not by its own essence, then it needs a cause, a reason outside itself for its existence. Because it does not explain itself, something else must explain it. Beings whose essence does not contain the reason for their existence, beings that need causes, are called contingent, or dependent, beings. A being whose essence is to exist is called a necessary being. The universe contains only contingent beings. God would be the only necessary being—if God existed. Does he? Does a necessary being exist? Here is the proof that it does. Dependent beings cannot cause themselves. They are dependent on their causes. If there is no independent being, then the whole chain of dependent beings is dependent on nothing and could not exist. But they do exist. Therefore there is an independent being." -Peter Kreeft

Wrong. Single cell organisms can form naturally, under the right conditions.

El Correcto

god is dead
You mean they provide their own matter? Wrong.
Oh I see what the nerd is trying to say
“God created the singularity and started the Big Bang.”

Okay how do you arrive at Christianity and your god being the correct one? How do you know there has to be an independent being?

How is there an independent being but you can’t accept there being an independent object “the singularity”?

newfie

Oh I see what the nerd is trying to say
“God created the singularity and started the Big Bang.”

Okay how do you arrive at Christianity and your god being the correct one? How do you know there has to be an independent being?

How is there an independent being but you can’t accept there being an independent object “the singularity”?

god didnt start any particular religion , christianity was based on the teachings of christ. much like the opinions here everyone has their own opinions and thus you have different forms of religion that define the teachings of christ and others differently.

El Correcto

god is dead
god didnt start any particular religion , christianity was based on the teachings of christ. much like the opinions here everyone has their own opinions and thus you have different forms of religion that define the teachings of christ and others differently.
I agree with half of that, I’m not willing to credit the “just because” of our understanding to god or a creator. I don’t see evidence for it.

I agree that religion is your opinion and I’m glad you’ve finally admitted this instead of trying to argue facts and dismiss evidence to the contrary.
I think God was created by man. I think it is born from our ignorance and need to understand the unknown to improve our chances of survival.

newfie

I agree with half of that, I’m not willing to credit the “just because” of our understanding to god or a creator. I don’t see evidence for it.

I agree that religion is your opinion and I’m glad you’ve finally admitted this instead of trying to argue facts and dismiss evidence to the contrary.
I think God was created by man. I think it is born from our ignorance and need to understand the unknown to improve our chances of survival.

thats fine , i just think people with your belief provide a much more critical analysis of the impossibility of a god then they do the impossibility of evolution.

El Correcto

god is dead
A Creator Who was not created, and evolution, are not mutually exclusive. (Unless you are a Creationist) Evolution as the tool to produce the universe as we know it actually makes sense. Genesis told us what, not the details of how.
This is one of the inches I was referring to. God has moved back an inch with the development and wide spread of evolution theory. Ignorance replaced by fact.

RDL

"Every being that exists either exists by itself, by its own essence or nature, or it does not exist by itself. If it exists by its own essence, then it exists necessarily and eternally, and explains itself. It cannot not exist, as a triangle cannot not have three sides. If, on the other hand, a being exists but not by its own essence, then it needs a cause, a reason outside itself for its existence. Because it does not explain itself, something else must explain it. Beings whose essence does not contain the reason for their existence, beings that need causes, are called contingent, or dependent, beings. A being whose essence is to exist is called a necessary being. The universe contains only contingent beings. God would be the only necessary being—if God existed. Does he? Does a necessary being exist? Here is the proof that it does. Dependent beings cannot cause themselves. They are dependent on their causes. If there is no independent being, then the whole chain of dependent beings is dependent on nothing and could not exist. But they do exist. Therefore there is an independent being." -Peter Kreeft
Holy fyuck. And I thought the cockamamie hogwash I was spewing was out there. You know Peter Kreeft is who the Wrong Turn movie series is based off of, right? Speak for yourself with this dependent being bull:censored2: and never get off of social care.

BrownArmy

Evolution is settled science.

If you want to say, ‘this is how god works’, feel free, but evolution isn’t in play as a thing that may or may not be correct.

Evolution is real, deal with it.