Atheists

bbsam

Staff member
Other than a non christian church, I would say that church you attended was one affiliated with the Jehovah's witnesses. I don't mean to pry, but that statement pretty much said it all.

There are some churches that do this. I believe they are referred to as "nonliturgical".

wkmac

I was thinking Moses aka Charleton Heston,,1956 lol

That's OK, it's actually a very common thing to happen. I've yet to see anyone make the argument to hang a copy of the 2nd 10 Commandments given by Yahweh. I mean what would you think if you were told our Constitution came from this:

[SUP]14[/SUP] Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God. [SUP]15[/SUP] “Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land; for when they prostitute themselves to their gods and sacrifice to them, they will invite you and you will eat their sacrifices. [SUP]16[/SUP] And when you choose some of their daughters as wives for your sons and those daughters prostitute themselves to their gods, they will lead your sons to do the same.
[SUP]17[/SUP] “Do not make any idols.
[SUP]18[/SUP] “Celebrate the Festival of Unleavened Bread. For seven days eat bread made without yeast, as I commanded you. Do this at the appointed time in the month of Aviv, for in that month you came out of Egypt.
[SUP]19[/SUP] “The first offspring of every womb belongs to me, including all the firstborn males of your livestock, whether from herd or flock. [SUP]20[/SUP] Redeem the firstborn donkey with a lamb, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem all your firstborn sons.
“No one is to appear before me empty-handed.
[SUP]21[/SUP] “Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest.
[SUP]22[/SUP] “Celebrate the Festival of Weeks with the firstfruits of the wheat harvest, and the Festival of Ingathering at the turn of the year.[SUP][b][/SUP] [SUP]23[/SUP] Three times a year all your men are to appear before the Sovereign LORD, the God of Israel. [SUP]24[/SUP] I will drive out nations before you and enlarge your territory, and no one will covet your land when you go up three times each year to appear before the LORD your God.
[SUP]25[/SUP] “Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast, and do not let any of the sacrifice from the Passover Festival remain until morning.
[SUP]26[/SUP] “Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the LORD your God.
“Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.”
[SUP]27[/SUP] Then the LORD said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” [SUP]28[/SUP] Moses was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments.

All the public places I see always have the wrong copy posted so it is a very common mistake.

P

pickup

There are some churches that do this. I believe they are referred to as "nonliturgical".

I looked up the terms "liturgical" and "non-liturgical" and I now know a little more about what those terms mean. I also googled "churches that don't celebrate christmas", quite an education. Thanks bbsam

bbsam

Staff member
I looked up the terms "liturgical" and "non-liturgical" and I now know a little more about what those terms mean. I also googled "churches that don't celebrate christmas", quite an education. Thanks bbsam

Holy cow!!! I was right?!?

bbsam

Staff member
I didn't quite say that: I don't know. Depends on how you define liturgical and how you far you want to spread that definition.

Liturgy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is one time I think I can add to the discussion where Wiki stops. A Christian going to a liturgical church can go to a similar liturgical service hundreds of miles away, and the lessons and gospel will be on a selected and agreed upon set pertaining to the season (ex. 1st Sunday in Lent, 3rd Sunday of Advent, etc.). Furthermore, the liturgy follows the same design across denominations of Christianity whether Baptist, Lutheran, Catholic, or Methodist. Non-liturgical churches do not follow these guidelines. Is one better than the other? I have no idea. But I would say that the lessons from the 12th Sunday in Pentecost probably have as much to teach me as a Good Friday service. Might even speak more to everyday living and I don't know if such a lesson would be evident in a non-liturgical setting. Also, I think humans nee repitition and the revolving church liturgy does provide that.