Atlanta SMART Hub Open House today

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
That building sounds like a small city. I wonder how it compares to Worldport.

Worldport is the largest and Cach is in second place. This is third largest in size. It's built next to a small airport and they are building logistics warehouses all around it.

rod

Retired 22 years
I have to admit--the last thing when I was working that I would ever consider doing on a Saturday would be tour a UPS building. I stayed as far away from anything UPS as I could get. In my 30 years I never visited the bigger buildings in Minneapolis. I guess ONE time on a Saturday I did attend my induction into the Circle of Honor club in Mpls (it wasn't at a UPS building) but I really only went for the free meal and booze.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
They have a food court or at least a Dunkin’ Donuts

I looked for the break room, but I got tired walking around and I couldn't find it. They had most of the inside fenced off, I went through a side door and gave myself a private tour. They did have an ice cooler and a couple of vending machines!

IMG_3464.JPG

Milly

Worldport is the largest and Cach is in second place. This is third largest in size. It's built next to a small airport and they are building logistics warehouses all around it.
From what you are saying it sounds amazing. I would not want to work there though. To big.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have to admit--the last thing when I was working that I would ever consider doing on a Saturday would be tour a UPS building. I stayed as far away from anything UPS as I could get. In my 30 years I never visited the bigger buildings in Minneapolis. I guess ONE time on a Saturday I did attend my induction into the Circle of Honor club in Mpls (it wasn't at a UPS building) but I really only went for the free meal and booze.

I live about seven miles away and my other plans were rained out today. I was planning to do a river cleanup. We ate before we went so that wasn't an incentive. I will probably never set foot in that building again, I was just curious about it.

rod

Retired 22 years
From what you are saying it sounds amazing. I would not want to work there though. To big.

From what he is saying I don't think many people would. I hope they start paying the help as soon as they walk through the door. It looks like it could take you 10-15 minutes to walk to your work station.

rod

Retired 22 years
I live about seven miles away and my other plans were rained out today. I was planning to do a river cleanup. We ate before we went so that wasn't an incentive. I will probably never set foot in that building again, I was just curious about it.

Just admit it--you went to get a free UPS cozy

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It looks like it could take you 10-15 minutes to walk to your work station.

It looks like it would take longer than that. They need escalators and moving sidewalks or at least a shuttle bus to get around. It doesn't seem well thought out the way its designed.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I bet they spent a lot of time planning the layout of the IE offices.

I doubt that. The middle of the building where the offices are is three stories tall and the top floor looks like an airport control tower with all the monitors. I was riding the elevator to see that and a woman got on that was actually coming in to work in the office. She was panting and exhausted just from walking from her car.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
The handicapped spots are next to the guard shack at the foot of the pedestrian bridge. It looks like the bridge is 2-3 stories tall. You have to climb those steps and walk across over the yard and then climb down another set of steps when you enter the building. There is a lot of walking in that building, I noticed people riding tricycles inside to get around.

View attachment 218485

That bridge is in the front by the feeder gates? I was curious what that was when I drove under it.

I also thought there was more parking on both ends...that must have been for construction workers.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
When I see a big facility like that my first thought is--"I bet I could hide in there for a whole shift and they wouldn't even miss me".
did you not look at the pictures Scratch posted, it's run like a giant prison with dozens? hundreds? of cameras

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
How do they open these and be properly staffed? I feel like it would take hundreds of new hires , we can’t even train the guys we have here.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
That bridge is in the front by the feeder gates? I was curious what that was when I drove under it.

I also thought there was more parking on both ends...that must have been for construction workers.

That bridge is on the left side next to the feeder gates and left corner of the employee parking lot. The employee parking is on the left and trailer yard is to the right. I didn't see much of the backside of the building, I just walked to the back where the Air Unload docks were. I didn't see the shop. Maybe 75 plus bulk trains. It would have been smarter to put the bridge in the right corner of the employee lot and enter the building closer to the middle to cut down on walking. I would have put in walking ramps instead of all those stairs. Maybe an underground pedestrian tunnel under the yard instead. Poor design in my opinion.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
How do they open these and be properly staffed? I feel like it would take hundreds of new hires , we can’t even train the guys we have here.

This will take three thousand to run and they are having problems with finding people to staff it. I talked to an HR guy today and he was very concerned about the quality he is hiring. UPS has been running ads on local radio stations for months now. We had several job fairs around Atlanta yesterday just to hire for Peak. Some idiot was parked in my parking spot when I got to work yesterday.