UPS Announces New 1.2 Million Square Foot Regional Hub In Atlanta

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The new routes coming into Forest Park are being dispatched from our building every day. There are several large shippers that came with this deal. No new full-time supervisors though, we are short in my Center with a recent one getting promoted. The only satellite routes I know of in my building are delivered out of Covington.

wkmac

We're short FT supervisors because they keep quitting. In one center alone this year, a center manager got fed up, said screw it and just retired and several FT sups have up and quit as well. One just walked out and never came back, called or anything. And that just in one center. Now starting to see PT sups punch their resume and bail as well. We recently promoted a PT new hire who didn't have their 30 days in to a PT supervisor. Never seen that before. The kid is really trying but talk about being thrown to the wolves!

One thing about automation is the reduced need of both PT employees along with PT supervisors and even FT sort management. Be interesting to see how this all plays out about 10 years down the road but I won't be around to see it.

wkmac

We're short FT supervisors because they keep quitting. In one center alone this year, a center manager got fed up, said screw it and just retired and several FT sups have up and quit as well. One just walked out and never came back, called or anything. And that just in one center. Now starting to see PT sups punch their resume and bail as well. We recently promoted a PT new hire who didn't have their 30 days in to a PT supervisor. Never seen that before. The kid is really trying but talk about being thrown to the wolves!

One thing about automation is the reduced need of both PT employees along with PT supervisors and even FT sort management. Be interesting to see how this all plays out about 10 years down the road but I won't be around to see it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
How many years have they gone without? Then all of a sudden, all these places absolutely need upgrading?

Besides, they aren't running the cars they have now.
This is for the inside employees to reduce the stretching needed to do the job.
Reduced over the shoulder lifting and no lowering to less than 18 inches.

This is not in the contract so the drivers and the teamsters can't stop UPS from taking care of the part-timers this time.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I just find this interesting, and wondering if they will use the "Our profits were down last year" argument, during contract talks.
Capital Expenditures do not reduce taxable profits .. they are not Operating Expenses.
CapEx comes from loans/bonds and cash on hand.
CapEx is typically reduced over a 30+ year depreciation schedule.

upschuck

Capital Expenditures do not reduce taxable profits .. they are not Operating Expenses.
CapEx comes from loans/bonds and cash on hand.
CapEx is typically reduced over a 30+ year depreciation schedule.
I guess you don't understand what I am getting at, but ok.