Attacked and bit by large dog today

Johney

By any chance did you take a picture of the property in case the owner puts a "Beware of Dog" or "No Trespassing" sign around the area you were going to? I suspect there wasn't any there when you delivered. Never can be too sure what some people will do to cover their butts.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is a good point but it does not free the homeowner of the responsibility of securing his dogs. From the way Sleeve described it, the yard was not fenced. He walked down a side driveway toward the rear of the home when he was attacked. Had the yard been fenced and had proper signage and Sleeve took it upon himself to open the gate and enter the yard he would have no recourse IMO.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
By any chance did you take a picture of the property in case the owner puts a "Beware of Dog" or "No Trespassing" sign around the area you were going to? I suspect there wasn't any there when you delivered. Never can be too sure what some people will do to cover their butts.

No I did not, however that is a good idea. No signs, no fence, no nothing were there. I'm going to imagine that with a little detective work along with help from animal control and cooperative neighbors, there won't be much room to cover their butts in this case even if they tried a last ditch effort to make things look different.

One thing I wonder is if the owner will just get rid of the dog (if it's unregistered or whatever term is used) and then say there was no dog, period!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
No I did not, however that is a good idea. No signs, no fence, no nothing were there. I'm going to imagine that with a little detective work along with help from animal control and cooperative neighbors, there won't be much room to cover their butts in this case even if they tried a last ditch effort to make things look different.

One thing I wonder is if the owner will just get rid of the dog (if it's unregistered or whatever term is used) and then say there was no dog, period!

Like you said, a little detective work will negate that possibility. The neighbors will know.

Johney

I doubt he'd get rid of it, I suppose he could but like you said a little detective work and even if his neighbors were good friends not many people will lie when asked under oath in a deposition(if it even goes that far). I suppose the only thing that could go wrong is he doesn't have homeowners insurance. Then it might be a little harder finding an attorney to take your case.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
MY fiance said I was greedy and basically a jerk for trying to sue him. It's all about the money. I told her, if it were you and you had no recourse to put the owner in jail and the dog down, what else is there to compensate?

Johney

This is a good point but it does not free the homeowner of the responsibility of securing his dogs. From the way Sleeve described it, the yard was not fenced. He walked down a side driveway toward the rear of the home when he was attacked. Had the yard been fenced and had proper signage and Sleeve took it upon himself to open the gate and enter the yard he would have no recourse IMO.
That's what I was thinking also. I almost got bit bad one day a long time ago when I was still a rookie. Trying to do the right thing by bringing boxes around the back of this house. They had a fence with an old "Beware of Dog" sign,so I yelled shook the fence did everything to see if there was really a dog there. No dog shows up so I proceed around to the back porch only to come face to face with the biggest dog I've ever seen sleeping.By startling me he awoke so I dropped the boxes and ran, luckily I was a little faster to the gate then he was.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

MY fiance said I was greedy and basically a jerk for trying to sue him. It's all about the money. I told her, if it were you and you had no recourse to put the owner in jail and the dog down, what else is there to compensate?

If the homeowner had shown even an ounce of remorse I would have to agree with her but his callous attitude says sue the **** out of him.

Ask her is she would have felt the same had it been a child and the injuries were disfiguring.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If the homeowner had shown even an ounce of remorse I would have to agree with her but his callous attitude says sue the **** out of him.

Ask her is she would have felt the same had it been a child and the injuries were disfiguring.

You are dead on here. People that no conscience when it comes to how their animals (or even kids for that matter) behave, deserve what they get. They should not even own dogs. I would not hesitate to sue a dog owner who doesn't care how their dog behaves.

TheKid

You are dead on here. People that no conscience when it comes to how their animals (or even kids for that matter) behave, deserve what they get. They should not even own dogs. I would not hesitate to sue a dog owner who doesn't care how their dog behaves.

I also agree here....accidents happen. But the owner has to show some remorse here...take some responsibility. I am not one of those lawsuit happy people...I have been bit 4 times ( twice kinda bad) and regret not doing something. I am glad that it seems that you are ok. SUE THEM.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I doubt he'd get rid of it, I suppose he could but like you said a little detective work and even if his neighbors were good friends not many people will lie when asked under oath in a deposition(if it even goes that far). I suppose the only thing that could go wrong is he doesn't have homeowners insurance. Then it might be a little harder finding an attorney to take your case.
Doesn't sound like he has many of those, considering.
Aren't you glad she's still you "fiancé"?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Doesn't sound like he has many of those, considering.

Aren't you glad she's still you "fiancé"?

Hah, she loves animals so much that she doesn't understand that this dog was completely out of control. Like dilligaf said, and I said when it happened, thank God it wasn't someones toddler having a disfigured face and just my leg in some pain and wounds. Would this man have ignored the little child too that was lying there bleeding and crying helpless? We all see it on the news every day. I want to ask him that face to face.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I also agree here....accidents happen. But the owner has to show some remorse here...take some responsibility. I am not one of those lawsuit happy people...I have been bit 4 times ( twice kinda bad) and regret not doing something. I am glad that it seems that you are ok. SUE THEM.

Yes, you are in the NE area. This happened in Acton, MA. I won't say where but it looks like a business on google earth. If you follow this long dirt driveway down well past the house there's some sort of junkyard or chippy car lot way in the back not visible from the street....this in a very quiet and decent residential neighborhood.

I'm tired of hearing about neglectful and abusive pet owners honestly. I wanted to go back and rage on the owner instead of driving off for the next stop...

tourists24

Hah, she loves animals so much that she doesn't understand that this dog was completely out of control. Like dilligaf said, and I said when it happened, thank God it wasn't someones toddler having a disfigured face and just my leg in some pain and wounds. Would this man have ignored the little child too that was lying there bleeding and crying helpless? We all see it on the news every day. I want to ask him that face to face.
maybe you should go introduce her to this dog.... maybe that would change her opinion?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
maybe you should go introduce her to this dog.... maybe that would change her opinion?
What an out of control mutt that thing was, rotweiler something something mix.. not huge but 50-70 pounds (maybe more but don't want to exaggerate) and violent. No one deserves that

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
What an out of control mutt that thing was, rotweiler something something mix.. not huge but 50-70 pounds (maybe more but don't want to exaggerate) and violent. No one deserves that
I think the answer to this, instead of licensing dogs, lets license owners. same with kids. If you cant handle them, you shouldnt have them. My dogs are huge, and big lovers. I dont let them go meet the meter reader, the mailman, or the ups or fed ex guy, unless they want to see them. I dont force service people to like them. If they ever used aggression unprovoked, they would be euthanized. I have people do it to me all the time. If they want to get their stuff, get on out here. Dont want to meet, pet, dont have time. Im sure it is a lovely dog, Im on UPS time, take your stuff, so I can go. Unbit, in one piece. We are so surrounded by idiots.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Sleeve, don't waste your time fantasizing about what you'd like to do/say to this guy, because your pearls of wisdom would be falling on deaf/ignorant ears. Save all of your talk/anger for the judge, as they'll be the ones that this person would best understand/listen to.