Audits at UPS; A Culture of Deception

JonFrum

Here is a question i always wondered about who the heck is keter ? Are they a division of OSHA or just some outfit UPS pays to do audits ?
Keter Consultants is a wholly owned subsidiary of the good folks at Liberty Mutual. They help companies pretend to be in compliance with OSHA requirements.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Please elaborate as to who exactly you are talking about. They is a pronoun that is used to refer to ones previously mentioned or implied. Could you please be more specific as to who you are refering? No names please, just what position "they" hold in UPS will do.

UPS has clearly spelled out precisely how we all are to do business for this company.

i, let me turn this around a bit. i added the emphasis on the we.

so for the sake of clarity and integrity, how does someone that never has worked for ups, does not now work for ups, and has only book or second hand knowledge of ups, say that ups has spelled out precisely how you are to do business for this company?

seriously man, you are morphing. first you dont, now you do?

so, "No names please, just what position "[-]they[/-]" you hold in UPS will do."

some integrity please

d

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Again, while I would prefer unannounced audits. The auditor does not think it looks like this every day, so explain the dishonestly to me... An audit is only a tiny piece of operations ratings....
P-Man

It is inherently dishonest to make radical departures in the way one manages the operation simply due to the presence of an auditor.

If I'm an overallowed driver who runs 12 SPORH, and you ride with me and I run 15 SPORH on that day, you are going to be all over my ass like as dirty diaper for "dishonesty" and "failure to maintain demonstrated performance".

Yet management engages in this same behavior during an audit....doing the job differently when being directly evaluated....and its business as usual.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I think that any one of us receiving notice of an IRS audit would try to make sure that everything was in order and make our best case for the work we did. Audits at UPS are no different.

overallowed

Has anyone ever had or heard of being DR audited by a preload supervisor? A short time ago, while running my route, I noticed I was being followed. I went into a cul-de-sac and turned around and drove toward the car, and it was a part time sup from preload following me doing a dr audit. Isn't this the job of a driver sup? I've never heard of this being done.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I think that any one of us receiving notice of an IRS audit would try to make sure that everything was in order and make our best case for the work we did. Audits at UPS are no different.
audits from the irs and at ups are vastly different.

the irs comes in after the fact to see what they can find that you have done wrong, while a ups audit is done to determine what you are doing wrong.

see, in your mind, you would try to pull the wool over the irs in their audit of past years......and......well hell, come to think of it, they are the same, seeing you are trying to pull the wool over the auditors in real time

i see where your coming from, your trying to put the best show of watch the left hand while i hide evidence with the right.

d

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Nothing changes. The company does everything in it's power to look it's best for auditors. "Lays off" higher seniority people who do not know DOK/SWM, cleans up it's act, etc. They try to make the best impression possible for the audits.

You cannot blame UPS here, for doing it's very best to dodge and manipulate the system. Why would the company run " as is" and show it's true colors, when it is capable of manipulating and dissolving issues?

You can only blame the methods that the trying judge and jury evaluate. (for which I wholly admit, know little about)

UPSSOCKS

A division manager gathers the operations sups and reams them out prior to an audit and in in a threatening, nasty, intimidating manner tells his group "you better pass this audit or else".

A sort supervisor says to his sorters prior to a sort some "suits" are coming to check handling so they can help reduce handling related damages make sure your handling is perfect tonight."

An unload supervisor says to his people "there has been a report that unload stands are not being used and our extendos are not being used correctly, and egress is not being maintained. Some one is coming in to audit us tonight, make sure everyone has an unload stand, is using the extendo correctly and maintains proper egress at all times tonight."

It's time for the "dog and pony show", ever heard this one?

When Keter is Coming:
A district anxiouly awaits the announcement. Keter is going where? Once the notification comes, the district mobilizes a management team to the announced location to try to correct any deficiencies that are currently in place and may have been in place for months prior to this audit. The employees have been exposed to these deficiencies for an indefinite period of time but we dare not expose them to the Keter Team if we can get to them first.

A center manager says to his people, " we are having a seat belt audit today please make sure you are all wearing your seat belts".

These are just a few examples of real situations. I have many more but please feel free to add your own.

My point is:
The status quo at UPS is a fear based culture and a deceptive approach to audits of any kind. The purpose of an audit is to examine, verify and correct a situation. Trying to influence the results is dishonest. It may give us all an opportunity to say "yeah us, we got a 98, 95 or whatever, but it does little to examine, verify or correct the situation, elements or practices that the audit is intended to.

My experience has revealed that this culture exists on the corporate, region, district, operations and even the hourly employees play a small part in perpetuating this culture.

Enough on this for now.

Your thoughts?

I

You are a big loser..... I wish I knew where you were a part time sup at......

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
audits from the irs and at ups are vastly different.

the irs comes in after the fact to see what they can find that you have done wrong, while a ups audit is done to determine what you are doing wrong.

see, in your mind, you would try to pull the wool over the irs in their audit of past years......and......well hell, come to think of it, they are the same, seeing you are trying to pull the wool over the auditors in real time

i see where your coming from, your trying to put the best show of watch the left hand while i hide evidence with the right.

d

Nope, that's not where I'm coming from.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
if that is not where you are coming from, then why the heads up before the audit takes place.

if ups were ever to seriously want to actually find out what actually goes on in the day to day world, they would quit sending the warning of an audit, and just show up to do one.

but that would cause a lot of people in management serious problems, wouldnt it? and a lot of empty office space......

but look at the bright side, less people to lay off, and more oppertunity for advancement

d

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
As long as we're at it, let's add in the monthly CBT's. We have a policy of 100 % participation and 100% passing. If you are taking the test with someone who happens to get done 30 seconds before you the OMS just reads the answers out loud to hurry you along. They don't even mind if you don't even read the questions or have a concept of the theme of the test itself. Not particularly safe or honest for all involved, yet it is the norm.

SWORDFISH

As long as we're at it, let's add in the monthly CBT's. We have a policy of 100 % participation and 100% passing. If you are taking the test with someone who happens to get done 30 seconds before you the OMS just reads the answers out loud to hurry you along. They don't even mind if you don't even read the questions or have a concept of the theme of the test itself. Not particularly safe or honest for all involved, yet it is the norm.

Great point. They do one better in my center. They give you the answer page. Im always one of the last ones done because I actually do the tests and they get mad because it takes longer to actually read through it. If you better believe if you get in trouble for anything that those tests relate to it will be brought up and you will be reminded that you have been trained on the issue.