Automation and The Future of UPS

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by ThePackageDeli, Nov 24, 2019.

1. The future seems clear.

As shipping volume continues to increase worldwide, automation will allow UPS to expand, process way more volume, and meet the growing demands of the world economy.

Automated facilities and short run feeder routes are going to eliminate MANY inside jobs and MANY driving jobs BUT simultaneously create a LOT of last-mile delivery positions.

My prediction for the future: UPS will force part-timers to get DOT certified and last-mile trained.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  2. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

The future is Bitcoin

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  3. rod

rod #1 on Upstates "list"

The future is in Betamax, Polaroid and newspapers------and Studebaker.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

Rotary telephones, fax machines, and typewriters.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. JustDeliverIt

JustDeliverIt Active Member

UPS will probably try to automate as much as possible, no secret here. They will never be able to force PT'ers to get certified. Fewer PT jobs sure, PVD's and other creative ways (22.4, drones) to undermine the work force, absolutely. But I don't see DOT certified work being other than a FT possition.

6. wornoutupser

wornoutupser Well-Known Member

And we all will drive delivery vehicles made by the Desoto Automobile Company!

7. MECH-lift

MECH-lift Union Brother

beards! hoodies!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. PappyLand

PappyLand Active Member

The future is Beards and Tattoos for all the little UPSers

9. polyp

polyp Member

Uh huh.

They manage to get Orion worthwhile yet?

10. Methods Man

Methods Man Member

Or they just upgrade service levels from ground to air service=more air drivers?

11. TulsaD

TulsaD New Member

Drone deliveries is a long ways off I think. And, at least at our HUB, the slaw is a POS that breaks down on 1 leg every week. And the only person certified to "fix" it lives almost 2 hours away...

12. eats packages

eats packages I have depth perception issues

What's a slaw?

13. JustDeliverIt

JustDeliverIt Active Member

It's the new million dollar machine for the small sort of the preload. It scans worldship labels and with a puff of air blows the spa label on the package. Usually over the bar code so a driver can't scan it.

They do break down a lot. Usually minor problems for the one that was on preload when I was there (but it's been a little over 2 years, may be worse now).

14. Whither

Whither Scofflaw

That, or right on top of the consignee's address or over the COD amount. Happens way too often.

15. Staydryitsraining

Staydryitsraining Well-Known Member

Hsla?

16. dudebro

dudebro Well-Known Member

No one is figured out to put the packages in upside down yet

17. quad decade guy

quad decade guy Active Member

Automation will be a factor in the whole world in every way. I don't really think about automation every

day....although I'm driving the biggest piece of crap on our yard because it has a pintle hook and IVIS

until my power unit is repaired. Going paper log and the possibility of being DOT'd isn't worth it in a

rental that can't make my run non-stop. OK. What I do think and worry about everyday: will UPS be

here and therefore my pension until we(wife/I) die. I'm 57. My instincts tell me no. If all

benefits(pension, social security) promised to me and earned are fulfilled....I'll die with a comfortable

lifestyle. Not rich, comfortable. Whether automation happens or not(It will).

Now the doom and gloom. Lot's of people on this earth. They have to eat. Generally, you work, get

money, use that money to buy food. If automation puts people out of work, they don't have money.

No money, no food. Figure it out.

18. Analbumcover

Analbumcover ControlPkgs

19. Universal Basic Income. Dun-dun-DUN!!!

20. Two Tokes

Two Tokes Give it to me Baby

Vcr's TV dinners and Dial soap