Automation and The Future of UPS

ThePackageDeli

The future seems clear.

As shipping volume continues to increase worldwide, automation will allow UPS to expand, process way more volume, and meet the growing demands of the world economy.

Automated facilities and short run feeder routes are going to eliminate MANY inside jobs and MANY driving jobs BUT simultaneously create a LOT of last-mile delivery positions.

My prediction for the future: UPS will force part-timers to get DOT certified and last-mile trained.

Last edited:

JustDeliverIt

The future seems clear.

As shipping volume continues to increase worldwide, automation will allow UPS to expand, process way more volume, and meet the growing demands of the world economy.

Automated facilities and short run feeder routes are going to eliminate MANY inside jobs and MANY driving jobs BUT simultaneously create a LOT of last-mile delivery positions.

My prediction for the future: UPS will force part-timers to get DOT certified and last-mile trained.

UPS will probably try to automate as much as possible, no secret here. They will never be able to force PT'ers to get certified. Fewer PT jobs sure, PVD's and other creative ways (22.4, drones) to undermine the work force, absolutely. But I don't see DOT certified work being other than a FT possition.

TulsaD

Drone deliveries is a long ways off I think. And, at least at our HUB, the slaw is a POS that breaks down on 1 leg every week. And the only person certified to "fix" it lives almost 2 hours away...

JustDeliverIt

What's a slaw?

It's the new million dollar machine for the small sort of the preload. It scans worldship labels and with a puff of air blows the spa label on the package. Usually over the bar code so a driver can't scan it.

They do break down a lot. Usually minor problems for the one that was on preload when I was there (but it's been a little over 2 years, may be worse now).

Staydryitsraining

It's the new million dollar machine for the small sort of the preload. It scans worldship labels and with a puff of air blows the spa label on the package. Usually over the bar code so a driver can't scan it.

They do break down a lot. Usually minor problems for the one that was on preload when I was there (but it's been a little over 2 years, may be worse now).
Hsla?

quad decade guy

Automation will be a factor in the whole world in every way. I don't really think about automation every

day....although I'm driving the biggest piece of crap on our yard because it has a pintle hook and IVIS

until my power unit is repaired. Going paper log and the possibility of being DOT'd isn't worth it in a

rental that can't make my run non-stop. OK. What I do think and worry about everyday: will UPS be

here and therefore my pension until we(wife/I) die. I'm 57. My instincts tell me no. If all

benefits(pension, social security) promised to me and earned are fulfilled....I'll die with a comfortable

lifestyle. Not rich, comfortable. Whether automation happens or not(It will).

Now the doom and gloom. Lot's of people on this earth. They have to eat. Generally, you work, get

money, use that money to buy food. If automation puts people out of work, they don't have money.

No money, no food. Figure it out.

ThePackageDeli

Automation will be a factor in the whole world in every way. I don't really think about automation every

day....although I'm driving the biggest piece of crap on our yard because it has a pintle hook and IVIS

until my power unit is repaired. Going paper log and the possibility of being DOT'd isn't worth it in a

rental that can't make my run non-stop. OK. What I do think and worry about everyday: will UPS be

here and therefore my pension until we(wife/I) die. I'm 57. My instincts tell me no. If all

benefits(pension, social security) promised to me and earned are fulfilled....I'll die with a comfortable

lifestyle. Not rich, comfortable. Whether automation happens or not(It will).

Now the doom and gloom. Lot's of people on this earth. They have to eat. Generally, you work, get

money, use that money to buy food. If automation puts people out of work, they don't have money.

No money, no food. Figure it out.
Universal Basic Income. Dun-dun-DUN!!!