Automation? Good/Bad

toxic88

Automation!Automation!Automation! is all I hear driving around different hubs! More and more hubs are implementing this system. So if that's the case then Automation,I assume,means less employees. Less employees means less money going into our pension fund. Isn't this a set up for disaster?? Also, UPS would seem to be in a position to save tons of money with Automation. Do you think at a certain point they will say FU to FedEx and start to undercut their prices??

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
yes but your pensions are probably going to be gone after the boomers are anyways because who wants a pension anymore

no we will never beat fedex on price, short of automating the drivers too

flatbread

Occasional Lurker
I'm at an automated hub. As far as the actual accuracy and speed of sorting are concerned, it's a net gain compared to when I was a sorter. That said, not only are there fewer sorters to pay, but they don't pay the PT tenders* the skilled rate. I opine that needs to be changed in the new contract. Getting a new tender trained and functioning in my center tends to be a difficult task.

* "Tenders" run the singulators to ensure packages go into the camera tunnel and automated sorter single-file.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
yes but your pensions are probably going to be gone after the boomers are anyways because who wants a pension anymore
A lot of people who were going to retire around 2008 probably wished they had one.

All the unemployed kids entering the job market around the time those folks were deciding they couldn't afford to retire because their 401k's tanked really got screwed over. Sadly, you're probably right, I doubt any of them learned a damn thing from that. Just want to see that 401k match and deal with the consequences later.

Richard Cranium

Automation!Automation!Automation! is all I hear driving around different hubs! More and more hubs are implementing this system. So if that's the case then Automation,I assume,means less employees. Less employees means less money going into our pension fund. Isn't this a set up for disaster?? Also, UPS would seem to be in a position to save tons of money with Automation. Do you think at a certain point they will say FU to FedEx and start to undercut their prices??
Innovation?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

no we will never beat fedex on price, short of automating the drivers too

I won't to presume to speak for everyone, but it's one of two reasons I drag my :censored2: to work everyday. The other is benefits.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I want all three of my pensions, my 401K, IRA, Mutual funds, Money Market, and Social Security.

They are installing an automated Small Sort in my Forest Park, Ga. Hub right now. UPS spent about $8M this past year expanding my building.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I'm at an automated hub. As far as the actual accuracy and speed of sorting are concerned, it's a net gain compared to when I was a sorter. That said, not only are there fewer sorters to pay, but they don't pay the PT tenders* the skilled rate. I opine that needs to be changed in the new contract. Getting a new tender trained and functioning in my center tends to be a difficult task.

* "Tenders" run the singulators to ensure packages go into the camera tunnel and automated sorter single-file.

Your machines must be different than ours. If drivers go back into the building because there is no work we get stuck tending one of the automated PD or PS lines. It's like 2 minutes of instruction if you have any common sense.

Easy money compared to the old sort aisle and I don't see how it would be considered a skilled position...if that's the case smalls would also have to be paid the extra $$ since you are trained 1 minute to run induction and another minute on the new bagging system, IMO.

flatbread

Occasional Lurker
Your machines must be different than ours. If drivers go back into the building because there is no work we get stuck tending one of the automated PD or PS lines. It's like 2 minutes of instruction if you have any common sense.

Easy money compared to the old sort aisle and I don't see how it would be considered a skilled position...if that's the case smalls would also have to be paid the extra $$ since you are trained 1 minute to run induction and another minute on the new bagging system, IMO.

Well, common sense is uncommon. :)

The actual tending of the singulator isn't difficult at all. Getting people with common sense up there to learn how to hear which photo eye is blocked and how to clear it, getting belts underweighted efficiently, pulling the correct packages off the belt and down the irreg chute etc., is harder. We have had to remove (not terminate) a good number of people for simply being bad at it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Less employees and less money going in only matters if your pension is a Ponzi scheme.

Brownslave688

A lot of people who were going to retire around 2008 probably wished they had one.

All the unemployed kids entering the job market around the time those folks were deciding they couldn't afford to retire because their 401k's tanked really got screwed over. Sadly, you're probably right, I doubt any of them learned a damn thing from that. Just want to see that 401k match and deal with the consequences later.
Meh the economic crash was just as hard on pensions.

Why do you think so many are in such bad shape now?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Well, common sense is uncommon. :)

The actual tending of the singulator isn't difficult at all. Getting people with common sense up there to learn how to hear which photo eye is blocked and how to clear it, getting belts underweighted efficiently, pulling the correct packages off the belt and down the irreg chute etc., is harder. We have had to remove (not terminate) a good number of people for simply being bad at it.

The people operting them in my building twnd to be older, I sorted with quite a few of them back in the day.

I hated the job. I was always stuck on the one that came off the recirculation belt so boxes were always beat up or damaged. The worst was taking a box that was kicked out for length off only to have the guys down below put it back on the belt.

The best thing ups could do for employee quality would be return benefits back to the 60 days or whatever they were when I hired in. The most reliable employees seem to be a little older and most only wanted to work here for the benefits.

Brownslave688

The people operting them in my building twnd to be older, I sorted with quite a few of them back in the day.

I hated the job. I was always stuck on the one that came off the recirculation belt so boxes were always beat up or damaged. The worst was taking a box that was kicked out for length off only to have the guys down below put it back on the belt.

The best thing ups could do for employee quality would be return benefits back to the 60 days or whatever they were when I hired in. The most reliable employees seem to be a little older and most only wanted to work here for the benefits.
The union controls benefits now.

I assume they could give them to employees whenever they want.

Brownslave688

I assumed it was up to the company to make the contribution.
That may be the case I'm not 100% when the contributions start and such.

And just because the company makes a contribution doesn't mean you have benefits. In my local all benefit money gets paid for the month if you work 1 day that month. However teamcare requires you to work one day a week.

I have no idea how they can deny your benefits if they are getting money for them but we've lost a boatload of greivances over it.