Average Stops per day delivery and pickups

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
No I won't.
You tell me. How do you do 410 stops a day?let's say it's possible ok? What will happen to this miracle driver when stop dip?
I've spoken to many drivers about stop average and literally EVERY one of them say they shoot for 20 an hour and two said that this is what ups expects for the average route. I've barely topped 30 an hour and that was on a bang bang route with 60 stops in a tight 400 house neighborhood.
5FA72500-6129-478E-AAD9-95E5C0019D21.gif

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
No I won't.
You tell me. How do you do 410 stops a day?let's say it's possible ok? What will happen to this miracle driver when stop dip?
I've spoken to many drivers about stop average and literally EVERY one of them say they shoot for 20 an hour and two said that this is what ups expects for the average route. I've barely topped 30 an hour and that was on a bang bang route with 60 stops in a tight 400 house neighborhood.
Scram kid

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I have 55-65 stops with 7 pickups and 220- 230 miles. Lots of 1 lane dirt roads and an hour away from the center. Most of the young bucks hate it because the navigation has them going down roads that haven't existed in 20 years and I refuse to update their maps. Ups wanted this system so they can fix it.
I love the “roads” that go right through a locked cattle pasture.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
So there shouldn't be missed pieces but it can definitely happen. Prime example: An over-dispatched driver works about 13 hours (including an hour lunch) and they bring the package car back with whatever deliveries are left remaining.

Ok, but what happens to the driver that brings back stops? Are they dinged by management?

Hell no, love 'em for the lookout. What I dislike is how they hire these people as temporary/seasonal workers and come to rely on those extra hands come crunch time. What the company should do is hire enough permanent employees throughout the year to be able to handle peak without the use of seasonals. I don't blame the seasonals for wanting to work, I point my finger at the company and then try to make lemonade with all these damn lemons they keep throwing at me.

A shelf apiece. It's hard to say because the stops didn't automatically drop from my board once they took them-- they disappeared in waves.

When I get a package that's supposed to be on the truck I text the driver to ask if he wants me to deliver it. 100% so far he says "yes please, thank you". It's usually a good 30 minutes off of my route which is great for me but I always check first. The package comes off his board as soon as I add it to my manifest. I try to add it asap so he doesn't have a DNF.

60 hours in a week, 14 hours (including a 1hr lunch) in a day. We have to follow all of the same DOT rules as RPCDs, but those are the two big ones.

The union set the cap on hours at 70 yes?

So 410 stops in 13 hours averages out to about 31 stops/hour. That's not the toughest pace to maintain if you're in the right area and your truck is perfectly sorted.

As far as I know, the highest SPORH I've ever had was 43 stops/hr on my favorite route, but I only maintained that for an hour. It really does all depend on the area and the driver's area knowledge. And you know what I got for it? When I returned to building, my on-road said "Hey man, just so you know, you were doing 43 stops an hour at one point" and gave me a huge smile and the thumbs up. The next day I showed up to an even heavier work assignment.

This is what I'm talking about! Do more and they WANT more.

20-140 deliveries. 300-370 pkgs. 40 PU with like 300-600 piece count. 23 miles. Half business/ resi route.

I think he’s 65 years old

slingshot90

I'm in my second year as a cover driver, I actually really like being a cover. I know about 8 routes really well, and about 6 others I don't mind being on. In the most country of routes I've done, it goes out with about 130 stops, 145 miles, 180 pieces, 1 pickup, easy day.

The route I qualified on was a ball buster, usually around 150-180 stops, 350-400 pieces, 12-15 pickups, 55 miles and then the worst part was the four different apartment sections it had. One of them, you needed to get a key from the main office first and take all packages to the actual front door of any of the 10 buildings of the complex. One had a mailroom thankfully to receive everything. Another was about 22 buildings that took up about 8 blocks- you had to go through the 10-25 pieces you had for that whole complex, sort them out by building letter and number, order them up and write them down on a sheet of paper to know how to run them all off efficiently. Then the last one a bit smaller of a complex, but it was a huge pain because you needed to unhook your truck fab with a key attached to it to open all the doors. My least favorite, but it only ever had maybe 6-10 stops within that one.

All in all, if I had a total of 45 individual apartment stops in that area, it would take about an hour and some change to get off. Which wasn't THAT bad, but seeing as three of them were all in my board as ONE stop was always annoying. It felt like I barely moved through the board.

BrownSnowFlake

Hey was just wondering how many stops per day everyone else out there in America does a day....i'm kind of jaded in nyc so was wondering how it is working in the suburbs or rural routes ...I do anywhere between 80 and 100 deliveries a day and about 25 to 30 pickups all bulk...anyways have a good weekend everyone!!
Sounds about right. We have similar numbers in a city much smaller than yours. Number of stops isn't the only factor or even the biggest. Your mileage and time commits make the difference between an easy route and a hard one.

PPH_over_9000

The union set the cap on hours at 70 yes?

idk if that's a union or corporate move but it only happens during Peak. From what I understand, going to 70hr weeks isn't really an agreement, it's just UPS deciding they're going to accept whatever fine(s) they have to pay by working driving employees more than 60hrs/week.

We went to 70hr weeks last year, but not this year. I guess that's going to vary on each individual centers' particular staffing needs.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
idk if that's a union or corporate move but it only happens during Peak. From what I understand, going to 70hr weeks isn't really an agreement, it's just UPS deciding they're going to accept whatever fine(s) they have to pay by working driving employees more than 60hrs/week.

We went to 70hr weeks last year, but not this year. I guess that's going to vary on each individual centers' particular staffing needs.
There's no fine.

Question 1: May a motor carrier switch from a 60-hour/7-day limit to a 70-hour/8-day limit or vice versa?
Guidance:
Yes. The only restriction regarding the use of the 70-hour/8-day rule is that the motor carrier must have Commercial Motor Vehicle CMVs operating every day of the week. The 70-hour/8-day rule is a permissive provision in that a motor carrier with vehicles operating every day of the week is not required to use the 70-hour/8-day rules for calculating its drivers’ hours of service. The motor carrier may, however, assign some or all of its drivers to operate under the 70-hour/8-day rule if it so chooses. The assignment of individual drivers to the 60-hour/7-day or the 70-hour/8-day time rule is left to the discretion of the motor carrier.