Back First Exceptions

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
SAM-JACKSON-CLAPPING-GIF.gif

Wow. Now this crap is twice as annoying as anything Dave ever said or did. Thanks for wasting bandwidth.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Wait til you get ORION !!

They want you to back as much as possible to cut miles.
Everything you were taught as a delivery driver has been thrown out the window for this POS

Lol yep tons if backing in residential drives I hear. All to save a mile or two. Step over a dollar to make a dime.

S

serenity now

...if you know a Back First Exception will occur, prerecord the stop and close it out at the next stop / then it appears on a report of lesser scrutiny / or for you hardcore fans, the ROLS

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wow, when did that change. They preach how that was so unsafe for years, now they tell you to do that so they can make more $, unbelievable. Well, not really. I still wouldn't do it.

As I said, I was surprised as you by the change, which is only for small packages.

I suspect you would do it if you were directed to. Just sayin'.

JL 0513

So if it's 500', then that is just pure nonsense. That's 1 2/3 football fields. The length of many full streets. So the pencil pushers determined that if you drove say 300', then that new area you just arrived to has somehow changed. How has it changed if you just got there??

So guess what, ever since my sup talked to me about how many back first exceptions I had on a particular day, I now go out of my way all day long to avoid every possible back. More miles, more gas, more time. Hope you're happy UPS.

Any decent driver can back completely safely. With mirrors and a backup camera, you see everywhere that the truck is going. It's a complete waste of resources to treat backing as a crime.

Meanwhile, I see FedEx drivers back a million times a day. They're going to win at this business if they aren't held to similar rules as us.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What UPS is trying to have us avoid is positioning our vehicle at a delivery stop in such a way that it could get blocked in while we are making the delivery.

The 500' is what I was told----others on here have said 150' and 300'. Whatever the distance we should always be positioning our vehicle so that we do not have to back shortly after we leave the stop.

BTW, do you think UPS installed the back-up cameras out of the goodness of their hearts or was it the result of a tragic accident?

upschuck

Same here although, to be honest, I used to do this before the change. I just never did it on an S&V.

I did when I first started, until a pkg hit steering wheel and fell into the street. Car almost ran over it. If car would have swerved and hit another car, I would have been charged with an accident, I'm sure.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks Dave I fixed it. I don't know how to copy any paste with an iPhone. I do t log in on this site with my computer.

I visit BC on my iPhone if I am waiting for a drop box or have a few minutes to kill on road but find it to be somewhat of a pain in the butt to use for more than 5 minutes.