Back First Exceptions

MassWineGuy

It was on the checklist that he used to evaluate me.

Dave, if it were me (and I'm not always too smart about things), I'd make a copy of that document and run it by your district's safety director (or whatever they're called). On a tiny back street without any traffic? Ok. On typical stops? There's no cotton pickin' way I'm jiumping out of the driver's door.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dave, if it were me (and I'm not always too smart about things), I'd make a copy of that document and run it by your district's safety director (or whatever they're called). On a tiny back street without any traffic? Ok. On typical stops? There's no cotton pickin' way I'm jiumping out of the driver's door.

Do what you like----I will work as directed and as the situation dictates.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What UPS is trying to have us avoid is positioning our vehicle at a delivery stop in such a way that it could get blocked in while we are making the delivery.

The 500' is what I was told----others on here have said 150' and 300'. Whatever the distance we should always be positioning our vehicle so that we do not have to back shortly after we leave the stop.

You know what the really sad part is?

What you are saying is absolutely correct. Avoiding back-first exceptions whenever possible is a legitmate safety concern. The problem is...that message gets completely lost in the jumble of metrics and buzz words and conflicting/contradictory instructions that we are being given every single day.

How are we supposed to take managements instructions seriously when 4 different supervisors give us 4 different definitions of what actually constitutes a back-first exception? How are we supposed to take managements instructions seriously when we are instructed to minimize the number of backs and then in the same sentence harassed over our failure to generate an arbitrary ORION compliance metric that can only be met by backing an excessive number of times?

Safety begins with a consistent message and a consistent mind set. Its not some flavor-of-the-week metric to be blindly chased and then as quickly forgotten.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks. I was worried there for a second that you were going to tell me what to do.

You might find it advantageous to listen to some of the older guys, both at work and here on BC. Pick their brains. Learn from their mistakes so that you won't duplicate them. You might be surprised as to what you may actually learn if you turn off the smart-ass comments.

barnyard

KTM rider
It would be really hard for me to get in or out the driver's side door. I put my seatbelt over the steering wheel so that it is easier to latch up when I get back in, which pretty much makes using the driver's side door a non-issue.

Looping the seatbelt over the steering wheel is as easy to defend as never folding in a rearview mirror: I am saving end reach motions which are known to destroy shoulders.

AFAIK, the methods do not address putting on shoulder belts or using the key fob, so developing a smooth entrance routine is pretty much up to each driver. In my center, we train using the steering wheel to hold the seat belt, which eliminates using the driver's side for the whole center.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We discussed the habit of putting the seatbelt over the steering wheel. The mechanics here hate it as it causes premature seat belt wear. Our on-cars strongly discourage the practice. I don't see where it saves any time.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We discussed the habit of putting the seatbelt over the steering wheel. The mechanics here hate it as it causes premature seat belt wear. Our on-cars strongly discourage the practice. I don't see where it saves any time.

How does it cause premature seatbelt wear?

barnyard

KTM rider
I don't see where it saves any time.

I did a demo showing that it not only saved time, but it saved an end range motion. We prefer doing it and wanted to make sure that it was not discouraged. There are some cars that have to have some zip ties added to the steering column to keep the belt from getting caught in the plastic. Since doing that, belts do not get jammed in the column, which also causes less wear.

Brownslave688

Not sure what it is but in the p700's I drive the clip part of the seat belt often gets caught between the door and the package car. Only when the door is open but sometimes it can be a chore to get out of there.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have the same issue in my P1000.

Friday my seat belt catch stopped working. Had to swap it with the one from the jump seat. Sent an ODS to let them know I would have a ton of seat belt events on Telematics.

Brownslave688

I have the same issue in my P1000.

Friday my seat belt catch stopped working. Had to swap it with the one from the jump seat. Sent an ODS to let them know I would have a ton of seat belt events on Telematics.

Well wouldn't this be a time that putting your seatbelt on the steering wheel would save u some time? I mean we are talking about a company that gave us keyless start and entry so we could be given on average 6 more stops a piece.