Back up alarm

Man Of Brown

My sup printed off a 72 page booklet for me that was the methods. I've been honking at most stops. But I'm in my packet and am trying to keep it all by the book.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Very similar to how they got around not installing a proper ventilation system inside the building so we all don't choke on exhaust fumes every morning. Both would cost the company too much money. Maybe if we all agreed to donate a dollar a week like to the United Way....lol
I see myself talking thru a voice box in the next 20years . Call OSHA to measure the fumes and let me know what age I will expect to live to .

Cementups

Box Monkey
So how many people actually blow the horn at EVERY stop like the methods say. As a gambling man, I'd be willing to bet that 80% of the driving force probably do not tap horn at every stop. As for these "methods" has anyone actually seen the book or manual they are in?

I've been driving for 18.5 years and when I first started driving I thought the whole honking your horn thing was stupid and a real PITA. Now I honk the horn at every stop. Without even thinking about it really. A few of my commercial customers bust my stones about it. I told them that's it's just a habit I got into a long time ago and can't help it. But from my angle, that means it works and gets their attention.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I've been driving for 18.5 years and when I first started driving I thought the whole honking your horn thing was stupid and a real PITA. Now I honk the horn at every stop. Without even thinking about it really. A few of my commercial customers bust my stones about it. I told them that's it's just a habit I got into a long time ago and can't help it. But from my angle, that means it works and gets their attention.

That's why I left a 20% margin, I know that there are some who do things as second nature and muscle memory. I admit, I'm one of the 80% who don't honk at every stop but I suppose if I made a real conscious effort to always do it, it would become second nature to me like a seatbelt is. I'll probably end up getting a letter like another driver in my center did because of this.

scooby0048

So what do you get dinged for on your yearly? There's gotta be one bad habit you can't shake!

upsbeernut

Maybe but its a pita! In neighborhoods who gaf

O

OLDMAN3

There's no law requiring a backup alarm.

Similar to a backup cam. Not required, just a safety feature.
Ok,
Here is how a center manager and former LP manager explained it.
For decades, every time someone would take UPS to court for backing over a kid, Ups would show the statistics that prove that back-up alarms do not reduce the number of injuries caused by backing drivers. UPS drivers were plain and simple less likely to back into someone than other companies. This worked in court every time, saving UPS the expense of installing beepers, UNTIL... One judge agrees with UPS's argument about beepers, but ruled that rear-view cameras DO save lives and ordered all UPS package cars to be outfitted with them. UPS was then forced to install all those cameras instead of just installing the beepers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cementups

Box Monkey
Maybe but its a pita! In neighborhoods who gaf

I've never had a complaint about my use of horns in neighborhoods. Actually the opposite. It's like the ice cream truck. I have my customers trained. They hear that honking from down the street and they know I'm coming and are sometimes out to grab their package(s) before I even get there.

Cementups

Box Monkey
So what do you get dinged for on your yearly? There's gotta be one bad habit you can't shake!

My hand rail is probably my worse. Though it's gotten much better over the years. I still miss it a couple times a day. But it's far better than when I was 21 and only grabbed it a couple times a day. When I first started the only times I grabbed it was if I was in a high stepper. But age catches up to you and......well, you know. ;)

10 point

I've never had a complaint about my use of horns in neighborhoods. Actually the opposite. It's like the ice cream truck. I have my customers trained. They hear that honking from down the street and they know I'm coming and are sometimes out to grab their package(s) before I even get there.
And there you have it...

UPS horn honking gives the general public our sense of urgency and "trains" them to save the driver time. Period.

There are various types of backup "beepers" and some are impossible to ignore. The garbage trucks in our area have alarms you cannot ignore. And "laying on the horn" is viewed as a driver issue but a back up alarm is viewed as a company vehicle issue.
Ok,
For decades, every time someone would take UPS to court for backing over a kid, Ups would show the statistics that prove that back-up alarms do not reduce the number of injuries caused by backing drivers. UPS drivers were plain and simple less likely to back into someone than other companies. This worked in court every time, saving UPS the expense of installing beepers, UNTIL... One judge agrees with UPS's argument about beepers, but ruled that rear-view cameras DO save lives and ordered all UPS package cars to be outfitted with them. UPS was then forced to install all those cameras instead of just installing the beepers.
Rear cameras and monitors were negotiated thru the members request during a TA when we were asking for (at least) convex mirrors mounted on the rear of the vehicle like FedEx had. That happened around either 1997 or the next TA.

We've also seen all of our monitors being changed out lately to one that has ports set up for MULTIPLE cameras.

Last edited:

10 point

I blow the horn 2 houses before the house that I will be delivering to. I lay on the horn when I approach the loading dock at Walmart to let them know that I am there----the door is open and rollers extended by the time I hit the dock. I blow the horn when I back up to the loading dock at the college library as I have to pass over a crosswalk to do so. I refuse to blow the horn at commercials stops or at residential stops that have asked that I not do so.

Back up beepers quickly become background noise. Horns draw attention.
If you're not backing at residentials then one of the only two reasons to sound your horn is to give the CUSTOMER the UPS sense of urgency. Great manners.

If kids or dogs are present or there's a vehicle running in a drive in close proximity, fine.

Brainwashed is bliss?

In most neighborhoods I never sound a horn unless warranted. Never will. I'm not good at the control freak role.

Last edited:

upsbeernut

I can barely get someone to come to the door much less run out and grab the package from me unless its a I phone

Cementups

Box Monkey
I can barely get someone to come to the door much less run out and grab the package from me unless its a I phone

My old route was much better for it since the neighborhoods were a little tighter. Now the one neighborhood I deliver every property is 3 acres so thy don't hear you as readily. But for the most part, they are there and ready.
p.s. I also had a lot more stay-at-home moms than I did on my new route, so they were always eager to come out and flirt with the UPS guy ;)

Packmule

Ok,
You jogged a memory. Seems like there was a lot of conversation about whether cameras or a rear mount mirror was best.

scooby0048

My hand rail is probably my worse. Though it's gotten much better over the years. I still miss it a couple times a day. But it's far better than when I was 21 and only grabbed it a couple times a day. When I first started the only times I grabbed it was if I was in a high stepper. But age catches up to you and......well, you know. ;)
I always get dinged for not using the parking brake at stop light. I will even tell the on road he's going to get me for that.

The handrail [3-point contact] is my kryptonite but since JoeBo mentioned the e-brake at stop lights, I would have to say that is absolutely the number one since I never do it. Our on cars don't even bother with that one so I tend to forget about it.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
The handrail [3-point contact] is my kryptonite but since JoeBo mentioned the e-brake at stop lights, I would have to say that is absolutely the number one since I never do it. Our on cars don't even bother with that one so I tend to forget about it.
At the risk of sounding like a supe, use the grab rail on and off the truck. Your knees will thank you for it.