Back up alarm

mrbrownstone

You are spot on in your assessment here about how people react. Problem is that it causes many drivers to feel self conscious and the horn doesn't get used enough.
No one likes to be confronted over this so they avoid the problem entirely.

You're spot on in this statement. I beep a few times when backing generally and that is it, not every 3 seconds unless I am backing close to a door where I know people frequently enter and exit or I am doing a particularly long back.

It sounds crazy but I become self conscious about doing it continuously. I bet this is the fact for many drivers. Case in point at my building's Airwall most drivers beep twice and that's it. Probably only new driver's beep continuously. The same goes with backing inside the building, most drivers beep twice and that's all.

I drove a rental box truck last peak and was so happy for the backup alarm. It was one less thing I had to focus on doing while backing.

mrbrownstone

I was told when I first started, was that they didn't want us to get too comfortable with backing.

I will never be comfortable backing. I back at the rate of a turtle at least in comparison to what I have seen others do. Granted, I am comfortable enough backing to do the job but I have walked off pickups several times because I was trying not to back or as we are told "save a back". A few times I was pissed cause a back would have been necessary but I didn't just to try to save a back.

upschuck

I will never be comfortable backing. I back at the rate of a turtle at least in comparison to what I have seen others do. Granted, I am comfortable enough backing to do the job but I have walked off pickups several times because I was trying not to back or as we are told "save a back". A few times I was pissed cause a back would have been necessary but I didn't just to try to save a back.
Don't forget to save your back too.

Cementups

Box Monkey

I back like a fiend. I'm always the highest average backing speed on the telematics report. Usually in the 5.5mph range. I drive better backwards than I do forwards.

10 point

I was under the impression the teamsters forced the company to install back up cameras in 1997.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I was told the IBT asked for (at least) a convex mirror but the consensus was that they get ripped off and damaged constituting an accident.

We got monitors and cameras instead.