back up limits

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I almost got walked out of the building for backing 300 feet on someones gravel driveway to deliver a NDA

Trust me, they hate that number more !!!!! ;)

CAFAL

You probably could have walked it off faster than backing up.

The company wants everthing up to 200' walked off.It may not say anything in the contract,this falls under working as directed. Hit something in a driveway that should have been walked off and you're screwed. Same as using neutral

stink219

My allowance is 2 backs. I have 7 dock "bulk stops". Plus being downtown makes my parking next to impossible. a average 30 backs a day. I laughed when the sup said 2. I argued that 1 gets used up when I back into my spot at night. It's dumb. I understand the logic to reduce backs. But let the sups handle the paperwork and let the professionals handle the big boy trucks. UPS only makes money by delivering and picking up packages. If your job doesn't directly involve that function, your a waste of money.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I've come to understand that a lot of the new rules are for those who don't know how to "drive" yet. It never ceases to amaze me when my mgmt team reads off at the daily PCM the accidents in the district how many involved backing, hitting overhangs or mailboxes or making tracks in someone's yard (and even occasionally taking out the dog). Would us, the long-time driver do these things? Probably not, but a newbie....shoot, I did some silly things as a newbie. They need to be scared into thinking "backs are BAD; only do it when necessary." They might learn to "get the bigger picture" and walk off dock stops when they can, or backing first when necessary as opposed to parking the car in situations where they'll have to back out upon returning, opening up the possibilities of maybe forgetting what they saw beforehand, or having the scenario change while they are delivering, e.g. a car parks behind them that wasnt there before, and when they throw it in reverse, not yet proficient in the methods of checking their surroundings.....

As a more experienced driver, I do what I consider necessary. But I also understand why the backing report is necessary, and why my center manager gets flak for when it's high. So I am grateful for a means by which I can help him out, i.e. reversing in neutral, or using a quick burst of reverse and then coasting the rest of the way. I'll play UPS' game, but I am not making it harder on me in doing so, or making my day longer.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I hope everyone knows why God gave you two ears. These poor saps are just doing what they are told. They REALLY want to tell you to back up as much, and as fast, as you would like so as to achieve the numbers that make them look good. Just tell them to reduce into writing how many times you can back.

satellitedriver

You probably could have walked it off faster than backing up.
Nah,
The walk pace is 3 miles an hour.
-( unhindered with the 120lb book case to be assembled by the customer)-

My pkg car will safely do about 8 miles an hour in reverse.
I am old enough to realize that my body is more important than a report.

kingOFchester

To register a backup event the vehicle must travel more than eight feet while the reverse circuit is active. The reverse circuit is read when the reverse lights are active. What can you do to eliminate the reverse backup circuit to be active though the truck is still traveling in reverse? Think about it.
I hate when people posts the tricks of the trade on BC. The way I figure it, only a matter of time before UPS will fix our "work around's".

But in this case, thanks for the tip!!

kingOFchester

We have been told that over the last few weeks our backs are starting to trend upwards. Funny, volume is trending up as well as the amount of routes they are running day to day. Do you think the increase in backs has anything to do with more volume and more trips?? Nah, I guess I just think to much. Need to stop thinking.

CAFAL

Nah,
The walk pace is 3 miles an hour.
-( unhindered with the 120lb book case to be assembled by the customer)-

My pkg car will safely do about 8 miles an hour in reverse.
I am old enough to realize that my body is more important than a report.

You are the exact reason for telematics. Backing that fast is not safe. All these reports are to make sure we are following methods and minimizing unsafe risks. Goodluck taking those chances

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
You are the exact reason for telematics. Backing that fast is not safe. All these reports are to make sure we are following methods and minimizing unsafe risks. Goodluck taking those chances

He is saving his body by using available tools and equipment.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

They'll fix the work around if it becomes a problem, like someone getting into an accidents while coasting. But that ain't happening because those who'll do it will generally be more proficient in driving in general, as well as IF I got into such an accident, I did it while backing, NOT coasting; as far as they will be concerned, I am like everyone else who doesn't know how to back. I'll get my talking-too, then carry on as usual, albeit applying the lessons learned that led to that particular accident.