Bad Loads?

olewinski4954t

I am a Part-Time supervisor at the Grand Rapids HUB. After reading the post my initial advice from a birds eye view would be to request the Superviser to summons the Full-Time supervisor in your Hub to perform an OJS on you. This is an on job supervison report and will outline your key positive strengths as well as area of improvement as a loader. The benefit that will come out of this is 1. You will have a neutral 3rd party evaluating your performance. 2. you will have documentation of the areas you can improve on.

My hats off to going direct to the driver for advice. It is always great to network within your hub. On the other hand this will not always consititue to increasing the area that your supervisor feels you are underperforing in. Gather this information straight from the horses mouth trough the OJS. Then improve in the areas that they outline for you. Achieving these goals will ultimately be very self motivating and also impress your managment. Make it a point go out of your way to let the Full-Time supervisor know how your progress is coming. In the end their goal is to see progression, productivity and growth from you.

In my eyes the best Upser's are the individuals that have the ability to set their goals high and go above and beyond what it takes to achieve these goals. Be persistent in perseverance over adversity.

It sounds like you are on the right track, and provide great service. Keep your head up and stay in motion.

Mike Olewinski,
olewinski4959t

Floridacargocat

I like my preloader although he is not the the best at addition.
Today I had 87 deliveries.He said I had 62.
62 is an 8 1/2 hr day in my area with about 35 pickups.I Punched out @ 8:17 tonight with almost 2 1/2 hrs OT that I did not particularly want.
I think every new preloaders training should include a 3 day ride with a driver to learn how to and not to load a pkg car.They may see the difference that 20 stops makes.
"I remember when I first started driving they would send preloaders with load quality issues out with drivers every once in a while. Made a positive difference from what I saw, but of course that's not gonna happen these days."
Fully concur with sending out the aspirant preloader - as part of his/her training - to accompany the driver (service provider). Can it be arranged?
Will it happen? Sometimes yes, more often no.
Preloaders who were working as Helpers during peak season do have an idea on what is required, and they have the potential to make good preloaders.
Under today's conditions (cutting costs etc. to more than the bone), preloaders are not designed to be in a position of win-win.
A good preloader has an impact on those drivers he is loading for, an indifferent or bad preloader has an impact on far more drivers due to possible misloads, making life miserable for more than one person.
If we could work smarter (and not harder), then we could all win.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
...my initial advice from a birds eye view would be to request the Superviser to summons the Full-Time supervisor in your Hub to perform an OJS on you. This is an on job supervison report and will outline your key positive strengths as well as area of improvement as a loader. The benefit that will come out of this is 1. You will have a neutral 3rd party evaluating your performance. 2. you will have documentation of the areas you can improve on....

The problem with this approach is that the Full Time sup is not a "neutral 3rd party", and in all likelihood the OJS will take place on a day they have selected...which will not in any way be a "typical" day.

There arent a lot of mysteries involved in a preload operation. Management knows damn good and well what the underlying problems are; but since solving them costs money they instead choose to blame the person doing the work and give him conflicting instructions to work faster and better. They dont care about actually solving the problem; its more important for them to look good on paper pretending to solve it.

Mcgay

The question you must ask is what is your job. What is the task that ups is asking of you. How you effect your internal and external customer. THAT IS YOUR CONCERN. Not what your sup thinks you should do. If you are backing up, not your problem, sounds like the same old song and dance, to much wieght on one person. Do the best job you can. Let the sup worry about the details. Learn your rights as a UPS employee and as a Teamster, some sups will sell your soul to hell to make themselves look good, for the moment. Do your job to the best of your ablity, and do not concern yourself with that which is not yours. You will find that when you are not worried about everything that eveything runs smoother. A sup does not have the right to over supervise you.

Mcgay

I the hast for greatness Sups often break the rules that they are to hadhear to. Know UPS policy, a good manager will ever cross it.

BROWN430

My route is usually jam packed on a daily basis. 350 to 400 del. pieces a day. Management expects preloaders to have it stop for stop is unrealistic with that much stuff in one truck. I just tell my preloader to make sure my bulk stops and first section are in order and just section load and cram the rest of the route in the truck. They can only do so much with the amount they and we drivers are expected to do now. I don't get on my preloader because I have been there and know where he is coming from. Now the busted open packages are another thing. LMAO