Bad Representation and B. A.

Okay. So normally I always fight and win everything on my own against management. We have horrible, and I mean very horrible representation and protection from out Union Stewards and especially our BA in grievance hearings and even in management’s office. I’ve always known what to do and fight for myself and win all the time. I just ran into an issue last night. It seems as though I’m being set up to get fired. I don’t want to go into details strictly because I want everything to stay anonymous. My BA is being of no help, my stewards left me hanging when I needed them most. I’ve never been in a situation like I was put into last night. My question... can I contact other Ups Teamster locals and get advice from other actual caring and decent BA’s or is that not such a thing? For once I’m going to need help. And I can’t turn to my Local for it.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Okay. So normally I always fight and win everything on my own against management.

Ok.

We have horrible, and I mean very horrible representation and protection from our Union Stewards and especially our BA in grievance hearings and even in management’s office.

It sounds like, management kicked your ass.

I just ran into an issue last night. It seems as though I’m being set up to get fired. I don’t want to go into details strictly because I want everything to stay anonymous.

Never been done before.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Meet with your Local President. If he is not on the up and up, mention NLRB might have to get involved if you feel your rights are not being properly represented. That might help your situation.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Okay. So normally I always fight and win everything on my own against management. We have horrible, and I mean very horrible representation and protection from out Union Stewards and especially our BA in grievance hearings and even in management’s office. I’ve always known what to do and fight for myself and win all the time. I just ran into an issue last night. It seems as though I’m being set up to get fired. I don’t want to go into details strictly because I want everything to stay anonymous. My BA is being of no help, my stewards left me hanging when I needed them most. I’ve never been in a situation like I was put into last night. My question... can I contact other Ups Teamster locals and get advice from other actual caring and decent BA’s or is that not such a thing? For once I’m going to need help. And I can’t turn to my Local for it.
Sounds like you cant get along with either the company or the union, but I'm sure its got nothing to do with you.

I do appreciate the replies. I know there’s constant fights and there’s fights only because unlike the majority at my ups hub, I do not just fold my hands and let them talk to me however they want and do whatever they want. Management has an unbelievably hard time with following seniority at my hub and while everyone else won’t do something about it. I’m one of the few who will file and fight back. And another thing is the amount of harassment. They make my coworkers scared stuff every day they come into work by holding punishments and threats over their heads if they do not meet their numbers or work harder. Not claiming that I am lazy in any way. I bust my ass and go home everyday. Why they can’t leave me alone I honestly don’t know. But it’s always clear retaliation due to grievances that I have filed. But my BA and stewards are of no help ever. I’ve finally pushed for a union steward election and it was motioned by another member at our meeting. Everyone is sick of how things are but no one seems to be willing to stand up and do something about it. Which is why I’m trying to reach out to those who may have done the same thing in the past and get better information and tips for how to deal with what is going on. And what I can possibly do.

I do appreciate the replies. I know there’s constant fights and there’s fights only because unlike the majority at my ups hub, I do not just fold my hands and let them talk to me however they want and do whatever they want. Management has an unbelievably hard time with following seniority at my hub and while everyone else won’t do something about it. I’m one of the few who will file and fight back. And another thing is the amount of harassment. They make my coworkers scared stuff every day they come into work by holding punishments and threats over their heads if they do not meet their numbers or work harder. Not claiming that I am lazy in any way. I bust my ass and go home everyday. Why they can’t leave me alone I honestly don’t know. But it’s always clear retaliation due to grievances that I have filed. But my BA and stewards are of no help ever. I’ve finally pushed for a union steward election and it was motioned by another member at our meeting. Everyone is sick of how things are but no one seems to be willing to stand up and do something about it. Which is why I’m trying to reach out to those who may have done the same thing in the past and get better information and tips for how to deal with what is going on. And what I can possibly do.

*stiff

Meet with your Local President. If he is not on the up and up, mention NLRB might have to get involved if you feel your rights are not being properly represented. That might help your situation.

Believe me I’ve dealt with my local president. She’s like the rest. Our local is so bought out it’s disgusting. They just brush everything off with a smile and a joke. Shes not different than the rest of them unfortunately.

Why the constant battle with management?

The majority at my hub just fold their hands and lower their heads whenever management threatens or harasses them. Along with never doing anything when their seniority is violated due to the fact that our local does not help in any way and they don’t want the “trouble” management knows I’ll file and fight back. I’ve put a target on my back for years

UPSER1987

You said you are being set up. You can only be fired for attendance, theft or dishonesty.How exactly can you be set up? Attendance, Theft and dishonesty are 100 % under your control. Something doesn’t sound right here.

You said you are being set up. You can only be fired for attendance, theft or dishonesty.How exactly can you be set up? Attendance, Theft and dishonesty are 100 % under your control. Something doesn’t sound right here.
Exactly what I mean.... It doesn't seem right at all..... Im just trying to see if there are other UPS Teamster locals who I can call and talk to good honest B.A.'s because I can not rely on my Local for this one.... They are trying to re-open a grievance that I had won and we all signed off on.... And my B.A. is allowing it.... I have no idea what they may have up their sleeves but I did not think this could be done....

ski or die

Ski or Die
The majority at my hub just fold their hands and lower their heads whenever management threatens or harasses them. Along with never doing anything when their seniority is violated due to the fact that our local does not help in any way and they don’t want the “trouble” management knows I’ll file and fight back. I’ve put a target on my back for years
I was steward for several years before I retired. I'm well aware of target on the back. Life at work was very difficult at times, but always kept my nose clean so I would not have any retaliation. And my BA and I did not see eye to eye. It was tough fighting for the employees against management and the BA.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Exactly what I mean.... It doesn't seem right at all..... Im just trying to see if there are other UPS Teamster locals who I can call and talk to good honest B.A.'s because I can not rely on my Local for this one.... They are trying to re-open a grievance that I had won and we all signed off on.... And my B.A. is allowing it.... I have no idea what they may have up their sleeves but I did not think this could be done....

Your next step is to call the international, let them know you are not being fairly represented by your local. Perhaps the threat of a trusteeship will be enough to whip them into shape. While you are talking to the international ask them what they think of a settled grievance being "reopened".

Don't worry about being "set up" to be fired. If they try to fire you for made up offenses, you fight it like you would anything else.

Mooseknuckle

They may be "re-opening" the grievance because they realize they've set a precedent that hey don't want. Shouldn't be able to but, if your BA is lame they will try to let it happen. There ARE some really bad locals out there.