Bagel's Primer 4 Helpers on Common Driver Psychological Haplotypes and Personalities

Ms.PacMan

Re: Bagel's Primer 4 Helpers on Common Driver Psychological Haplotypes and Personalit

According to the OP, all UPS drivers are men.

The Female Driver
- she will either be very short or very tall. For some reason there are no average size female drivers. If you're a male helper, you will spend the entire time you're with her trying to decide if she's hot or not - mainly because you can't figure out how old she is. She will always make sure you have something to drink but will not buy you lunch because every stop will have food ready for the two of you. After a couple of days she will expect a commitment from you that you will show up everyday, including Christmas Eve. She has written up the truck heater and the air leaks so many times that the cab of the truck is like Dante's inferno, even with your door open.

hyena

Re: Bagel's Primer 4 Helpers on Common Driver Psychological Haplotypes and Personalit

After many years of working with Drivers, I feel comfortable in sharing some observations. Patterns suggest we can group them into key groups. Of course, I'm not a psychologist, nor, do I play one on TV, however, having said that, here are my observations in no special order.

The Bonus Center Guy – Known around UPS as a “runner/gunner,” this guy will instruct his helper not to use his seat belt, start moving the truck before the helper is seated & will be the only driver who welcomes the helper DIAD – so he can record while driving/idling without being caught, of course. When the helper has to use the bathroom, he will be provided a DR bag to poop in and some infonotices to wipe with. What the helper needs to understand is that he/she is only there to prevent the driver from earning excessive bonus, thus saving UPS money. In many instances, the only role of the helper will be to block the stack of packages placed within the cab from falling while the truck is in motion; the driver himself will run off (literally) every stop.

The Bluetooth Guy – This guy will spend every single minute of every single day talking on his phone. It does not matter if it’s the Helper’s first day on the job – Bluetooth Guy will expect him to be completely proficient, and will decline opportunities to communicate so as not to interrupt his phone conversations. For example, Bluetooth Guy may drop his first-time helper off at a Walmart; the helper will spend several minutes searching for somebody to sign for the packages only to learn that certain packages such as pharmacy must be delivered directly and receiving cannot sign for these packages. When the frustrated helper approaches Bluetooth Guy for help, he will become angry.

The Safety Guy – This guy will not speak with his helper, except to convey critical information, as it may cause a distraction; he will also require the passenger side door to be closed after every stop. He will ensure that his helper is proficiently following UPS safety methods, such as walking at a brisk pace while dangling an object such as keys and calling out “UPS, UPS” every step of the way. The first time a helper fails to use three points contact or walks in front of (instead of behind of) the truck, he will threaten to leave the helper behind at the nearest safest point (such as a McDonald’s) and call the center to pick him up. He will not care if it’s the helper’s first day on the job. Special Note: The Safety Guy often looks like Rick Moranis.

Seasonal Guy – Same profile as the Bonus Center guy, but the Seasonal Guy isn’t doing it for the money, but instead because management has guaranteed him a full-time job after the Holiday season. He may be a temp employee, or an inside employee with one-year seniority, it does not matter. Topics of conversation often include how great he is.

Midlife Crisis Guy – Like many (most?) UPS drivers, this guy’s having problems at home. He’s looking for a cute, blond haired, blue-eyed female helper about 5’, 80 lbs. and all of her body fat in her DD breasts. He dreams of pampering her while she sits in the truck and he does all the work. He will find fault in any other helper he receives, no matter how hard they work.

The Whiny Guy – This guy’s going to whine about EVERYTHING. He’s been driving for UPS for 14 years and is still swing driving. He went out with 247 stops. He didn’t get home until 8PM last night. He’s delivering in an area he doesn’t want to. This job's killing his body. UPS doesn't care about his health. He shouldn’t have to take a 30 minute lunch. Consumers are always ordering stuff and are never home to sign for them. The Helper showed up at 11:56 for a 12 start, but he’s been waiting since 11:55. And guess what? That whining will extend to YOU, his helper, when his day doesn’t go right.

The Urban Guy – The Urban Guy has only been driving for a few years, but he already has his own route because it’s in the roughest neighborhoods in the country. The Urban Guy likes the route, since he's comfortable in the area (after all, he grew up there) and it has less than a 100 stops. Generally one of the easier guys to work with, but hard to communicate over blaring rap station he refuses to turn down. If you have allergies be warned that he often brings flowers for all the ladies on his route during the last week of peak.

Military Guy – The Military Guy is an all-work, no nonsense, my way-or-highway guy – don’t try to joke around with him! The Military Guy is very critical of every aspect of the helper, from his attire to his strides to his placement of Infonotices (the Military Guy usually places the Infonotices a few centimeters from where the Helper did… how in the world is the consumer ever going to find it?) The Military Guy often maintains his residence on his route so he can work-out during his lunch. He shares that home with his, um, male “best friend” of 18 years. Note: ALWAYS, and I repeat ALWAYS, make sure you show up 15-minutes before your start time or risk infururating the Military Guy. Just don't expect to get paid for those minutes!!

The Labor Manager Guy – The Labor Manager Guy is your boss’s boss’s boss’s boss. He’s been tossed peddling packages either because a major snow storm wreaked havoc for your area, or because the seasonals just weren’t cutting it. He’s ticked because not only does he have to perform his day job, but now he has to do this. The Labor Manager Guy generally drives 50 MPH in a residential neighborhood, asks his helper to run & not wear his seat belt, sheets packages in low-density areas as “NSN”, etc. – anything to save time & get done. You know, all the stuff he generally fires people for.

The BrownCafe Guy – The BrownCafe guy spends all year complaining about runners/gunners online, then demands a helper who runs. After all, if he’s in a bonus center, this will be the only time he’ll make bonus – and that makes up for the $15 turkeys UPS took away 4 years ago. The BrownCafe guy whines & complains that his helper isn’t fully trained for the job, and then belittles the helpers who take the initiative – on their own time – to register for the website to better learn their job. The BrownCafe guy posts online blasting any helper who doesn’t share the same interests as him. The BrownCafe guy sits on his butt and makes no effort to improve the experience of the helper. Two stops across the street from each other? The helper better run them off! At $32+/hour (not including benefits & OT), the BC guy believes he’s underpaid … but simultaneously believes the $8.50/hr is too much for his helper, even though that person may have spent a full hour’s pay just on gas to work.

The Average Joe Guy –The Average Joe Guy welcomes helpers to take the edge of peak season. He has no preference in helpers, as he doesn’t expect the helper to work any harder than he usually does. He appreciates the opportunity to diverse himself, so he’s willing to engage in any conversation with his helper. He realizes the training habits are poor, so he does what he can to help the helper out. If there are two stops across the street from each other, he takes the time to peddle one off. At the end of the season, he tips his helper as a token of his appreciation.
haha the driver I help is 1,2,5,and 6 mostly 6 and they wonder why I have a bad attitude.lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Re: Bagel's Primer 4 Helpers on Common Driver Psychological Haplotypes and Personalli

You can't use the helper DIAD while engine is running. It will still show as record while idle. Silly but to maintain the metrics you have to make sure engine is off even if it slows you down.

Last year we were still on DIAD IV and the helpers were on III. You could do whatever you wanted with the III and it would not show up on any report. This year we will be on V and IV, respectively, so, yes, any use while the engine is running will show up.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Re: Bagel's Primer 4 Helpers on Common Driver Psychological Haplotypes and Personalli

Last year we were still on DIAD IV and the helpers were on III. You could do whatever you wanted with the III and it would not show up on any report. This year we will be on V and IV, respectively, so, yes, any use while the engine is running will show up.

The last time I used a helper, we tossed the III in the back and just used my IV. I got bitched at for failing to meet the daily 15 stop quota in the DIAD III; I also got bitched at for showing up on Telematics every time I moved the car while my helper was using the IV. I ignored the bitching, busted my ass for 59.9 hours a week for the entire month, and got the freaking stops delivered. The job gets a lot easier when you learn to tune out the bitching.

UPSGUY72

It all boils down to two kind of helpers the one that want to work and ones that don't.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The last time I used a helper, we tossed the III in the back and just used my IV. I got bitched at for failing to meet the daily 15 stop quota in the DIAD III; I also got bitched at for showing up on Telematics every time I moved the car while my helper was using the IV. I ignored the bitching, busted my ass for 59.9 hours a week for the entire month, and got the freaking stops delivered. The job gets a lot easier when you learn to tune out the bitching.

We used both DIADs, stayed off of the Telematics, worked my usual 2 hours of OT and also got the freaking stops delivered.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

Where is the Upstate driver description?

Brown Noser Guy - This guy bleeds brown ... in more ways than one ;). Brown Noser Guy ensures that if he's allowed only 4.99 hours with his helper that he works his helper for 4 hours, 59 minutes - and not a second more. Brown Noser Guy nearly always volunteers to take on more work. If that's the case, he will check with the center to see if he may keep his helper longer, thus days spent with Brown Noser are unpredictable. Be warned that the first mistake you make Brown Noser will report to management and you will be blacklisted from helping the rest of the season!!

According to the OP, all UPS drivers are men.

Just a writing technique (consistent unisex approach). Most of the women I've worked with look/act like men, anyway. Or Justin Bieber.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

The Union Guy-The Union Guy is one to follow the contract to the letter. The only thing that matters to him is the blue book is followed to the letter. If there is extra work to do, he'll do whatever he can to make sure an hourly is performing it, filing if management even thinks of touching a package car. Union guy will also cite each article when management violates any part of the contract. Union guy understands the helper is underpaid for the work being performed, but blames the lack of part time involvement during contract times for the low wages. Union guy cares little for any metric that management throws at him and his helper, even under threat of discipline, as every warning letter is grieved and thrown out. Union guy takes his lunch according to the contract, even if he has a package car full of savers, making the unattainable dispatch managements problem throughout the day.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

You can't use the helper DIAD while engine is running. It will still show as record while idle. Silly but to maintain the metrics you have to make sure engine is off even if it slows you down.

​Itll show how but they could care less if u do it.

UPSGUY72

The helper board is not attach to your vehicle. The only way a board is attached to your vehicle is when you enter the vehicle info in the board since you put a H for helper in the helper board instead of D for driver it doesn't ask for the vehicle information thus it is not attached to the vehicle or any vehicle.

If the board isn't attached to your vehicle stops can be complete will idling or driving and it will not show up.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

The helper board is not attach to your vehicle. The only way a board is attached to your vehicle is when you enter the vehicle info in the board since you put a H for helper in the helper board instead of D for driver it doesn't ask for the vehicle information thus it is not attached to the vehicle or any vehicle.

If the board isn't attached to your vehicle stops can be complete will idling or driving and it will not show up.

I have seldom used the helper boards, most of the DIAD III's they gave us were slow and crash-prone and beat all to hell. Its a lot easier and more productive in many cases to run one DIAD and just use the helper as an extra set of legs, especially if he/she is untrained on the DIAD to begin with.

UPSGUY72

I have seldom used the helper boards, most of the DIAD III's they gave us were slow and crash-prone and beat all to hell. Its a lot easier and more productive in many cases to run one DIAD and just use the helper as an extra set of legs, especially if he/she is untrained on the DIAD to begin with.

Agree

I was just pointing out fact that the DIAD is not tide to the package car.

I put 30 stops in the helper board then it goes into the baclk of the package car and they are usually the first 30 stops of the day before I pick up the helper. My helper doesn't get to touch the DIAD If a house needs a sig I usually do it unless I know someone is home then I'll set up the DIAD for them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What are you guys going to do when you are forced to use an "independent" helper? They are really pushing these this year in my center----drop off the helper with a DIAD in a residential section with 30-40 stops----come back when he is done, pick him up and drop him off somewhere else. We are all very skeptical about this plan but I am willing to see if it will work before dismissing it.

Whether you work directly with the helper or drop him off, it is really worth the few minutes that you will spend training him on the basics of the DIAD. Delivering one office building while he delivers the others saves so much time.

UPSGUY72

What are you guys going to do when you are forced to use an "independent" helper? They are really pushing these this year in my center----drop off the helper with a DIAD in a residential section with 30-40 stops----come back when he is done, pick him up and drop him off somewhere else. We are all very skeptical about this plan but I am willing to see if it will work before dismissing it.

Whether you work directly with the helper or drop him off, it is really worth the few minutes that you will spend training him on the basics of the DIAD. Delivering one office building while he delivers the others saves so much time.

They have been tell us that crap for years I tell thm the same thing every year. I don't drop my helper off any where I go one way and I'm not circling back to pick up a helper with a hand cart it a total waste of time (the time it take to drop off the helper and get him all the packages them explain to them what they need to do and that you'll be back at some point then circle back to pick them up and they still aren't done ) I can do 30 + stops and hour with a helper running off packages all day long.

oldngray

nowhere special

They have been tell us that crap for years I tell thm the same thing every year. I don't drop my helper off any where I go one way and I'm not circling back to pick up a helper with a hand cart it a total waste of time (the time it take to drop off the helper and get him all the packages them explain to them what they need to do and that you'll be back at some point then circle back to pick them up and they still aren't done ) I can do 30 + stops and hour with a helper running off packages all day long.
One year I tried doing it both ways to compare and I was 2 hours better using the helper as a runner vs dropping them off to deliver stops by themselves. Another one of those things some guy in a cubicle who is out of touch with the real world tried to force on people.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our new center manager is from Vermont and supposedly he had a driver who delivered 250 stops using 3 helpers and finished at about the same time that he does during the rest of the year. I can see where dropping off a helper would work in certain areas but I just don't think we have very many of those areas in my center.

Indecisi0n

And you have to keep stopping because the helper keeps blowing up your phone about being stuck with the DIAD.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

I would like to know how a helper can keep 30-40 stops secure when you drop them on a corner of some random neighborhood he's never been in.

I would like to know how a helper can keep 30-40 stops secure when you drop them on a corner of some random neighborhood he's never been in.

Not our problem....thats what Brown wants......thats what they get!.If your helper cant use the DIAD, give him your Sups phone number. Your driving, you cant pick up the phone!