Bonus is a scam but to what degree

So it’s clear to me that bonus is a scam and if you get caught in the trap it’s very hard to get out both from a psychological standpoint personally and for the company to release you from the expectation. But just how much of a scam is it? Is bonus calculated based on the company’s assignment of your “fair days work”? In other words if 2 drivers run the same route exactly the same will their bonus be the same? I don’t think so. I think bonus is calculated specific to each driver’s “fair days work”. For new drivers “a fair days work” is based on your pace set during qualification, and that’s right I forgot if you don’t scratch, you’re out of a job. How is it possible that one driver scratches a route with 150 stops at 8 hours and another driver scratches it at 8.5 hours effectively giving the second driver .5 hours bonus for the exact same trip getting back at the exact same time?? Effectively meaning that 8 hours pay on any given route could be 100 stops for one driver and 150 stops for another driver even if both come in under allowed or even at exactly 8 hours? How is it possible that even the same driver running the exact same trip a year apart, same work same return time “earning” a different bonus amount?? Please prove me wrong?? Please tell me I’m imaging this! And if I’m right why is it such a big secret? Why does no one…not even other drivers explain this in detail to new drivers? Not just scoffing at bonus but explaining that your setting yourself up to be 50% or 25% cheaper than another driver but are only getting 10% or 20% of that in bonus. If that’s true and every driver knew it, bonus centers would be out!

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
So it’s clear to me that bonus is a scam and if you get caught in the trap it’s very hard to get out both from a psychological standpoint personally and for the company to release you from the expectation. But just how much of a scam is it? Is bonus calculated based on the company’s assignment of your “fair days work”? In other words if 2 drivers run the same route exactly the same will their bonus be the same? I don’t think so. I think bonus is calculated specific to each driver’s “fair days work”. For new drivers “a fair days work” is based on your pace set during qualification, and that’s right I forgot if you don’t scratch, you’re out of a job. How is it possible that one driver scratches a route with 150 stops at 8 hours and another driver scratches it at 8.5 hours effectively giving the second driver .5 hours bonus for the exact same trip getting back at the exact same time?? Effectively meaning that 8 hours pay on any given route could be 100 stops for one driver and 150 stops for another driver even if both come in under allowed or even at exactly 8 hours? How is it possible that even the same driver running the exact same trip a year apart, same work same return time “earning” a different bonus amount?? Please prove me wrong?? Please tell me I’m imaging this! And if I’m right why is it such a big secret? Why does no one…not even other drivers explain this in detail to new drivers? Not just scoffing at bonus but explaining that your setting yourself up to be 50% or 25% cheaper than another driver but are only getting 10% or 20% of that in bonus. If that’s true and every driver knew it, bonus centers would be out!
Bonus is not that hard to get out of psychological.

I don't even look at the sheet in the morning. Don't care in the slightest what the computer said I should have been able to do the day before.

You get paid to work safely.
Stop running.

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
didnt-read-lol-chicken-gif.gif

textat3

You get paid by the hour. Work safe, take your allotted breaks for the entire time allowed during the required timeframe.

bumped

No two days are exactly the same. Your air may be different, your miles be slightly different, COD's, over 70's, more/less signatures. Prove to me that every stop was the same from the 2 different days a year apart.

bumped

I can say from having to help people that there different ways people sort and organize (or lack there of) of their package car. I've seen some drivers to can't find a stop just look for that stop. I sort my packages in order until I find that missing delivery package.

I can say from having to help people that there different ways people sort and organize (or lack there of) of their package car. I've seen some drivers to can't find a stop just look for that stop. I sort my packages in order until I find that missing delivery package.
You definitely need to take a few minutes out here and there to sort your truck out

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
I would suggest that you reread your screen name, pause for a moment, then realize that if you are chasing dollars that intently you will ruin yourself and will only have yourself to blame and not the company.

JL 0513

Is there a reason bonus only exists in a handful of states? I assume liability reasons?
I'm really surprised UPS allows it where it exists. Our primary job, the reason we make $44/hr, is to be the safest drivers on the road. Bonus goes against that philosophy.

Would be interesting to see statistics of accidents and injuries between bonus regions and non bonus ones.

MECH-II

🧔‍♂️✊
There was one guy I would help when I was a cover driver, I hated meeting him, his truck was a disaster all the time. Sections mixed, nothing set up. Idiot.
sounds like his loader sucks , my job is to drive and deliver , loaders make $23 an hr now , I expect every box to be in perfect position.
✊🧔‍♂️

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
sounds like his loader sucks , my job is to drive and deliver , loaders make $23 an hr now , I expect every box to be in perfect position.
✊🧔‍♂️
He was just a disorganized idiot. He never even sorted, or set up. He would have packages for stops he already did. Lol