Bargaining for A/C in Package Cars

BrownSnowFlake

This is a great idea. Let’s make this job more accessible so all the Democrats, they/thems, and assorted riff-raff can do it. That won’t hurt our livelihood at all.

Putting those GPS cradles in all the trucks was the first step towards turning us from drivers into steering wheel holders. But it was arguably necessary to stay competitive. A/C is not necessary. There’s no shortage of Mexicans who don’t just tolerate the heat but thrive in it.

Pullman Brown

B52A87DC-FC3C-4692-941C-33D9D8EB6341.gif

While I feel its necessary for finding some solution to vent the cargo area behind the bulkhead door I think other things should be a bigger priority. The forced 6 day work weeks suck and need to be amended. More routes/more trucks/ more people. Not sure if anyone else has this but our hub spent 250K on painting the building. Nothing being done about the disrepair of the equipment or the working conditions for part timers.

Integrity

Binge Poster
While I feel its necessary for finding some solution to vent the cargo area behind the bulkhead door I think other things should be a bigger priority. The forced 6 day work weeks suck and need to be amended. More routes/more trucks/ more people. Not sure if anyone else has this but our hub spent 250K on painting the building. Nothing being done about the disrepair of the equipment or the working conditions for part timers.
What are you doing about the disrepair of the equipment or the working conditions for part timers?

iruhnman630

I don't see retrofitting the fleet of package card for a/c in a big metal box being very practical.

Better ventilation maybe...and bring back the fams

iruhnman630

How do you propose Saturdays and likely future Sundays be staffed?

That was the purpose of the 22.4s

Yolo

Back in the day we had a healthy amount of preloaders that would preload Monday thru Friday then drive Saturday air. Idk why we can't do that for 22.4s. or let them preload 5-9 then 9-3 or some :censored2:.

allahuakbar

She/Her
It’s our Union pushing the whole AC movement so that must tell ya something.

O Brian is realizing every campaign promise he made ain’t happening 22.4 going nowhere, PVDs going nowhere, 9.5 protection is the only thing we’ll probably get but because they’re gonna hire thousands to PVD with contractor jobs. But here’s the kicker. They’ll stay working after peak. You’ll be getting calls from management to come in at 5:30pm “don’t worry a PVD will take the rest of your work out and finish it”

allahuakbar

She/Her

No the purpose of 22.4 was always to pay drivers less. The union just had ups put they can work inside to sell it to us employees. They knew ups never had any intentions to use them inside.

Thebrownblob

It’s our Union pushing the whole AC movement so that must tell ya something.

O Brian is realizing every campaign promise he made ain’t happening 22.4 going nowhere, PVDs going nowhere, 9.5 protection is the only thing we’ll probably get but because they’re gonna hire thousands to PVD with contractor jobs. But here’s the kicker. They’ll stay working after peak. You’ll be getting calls from management to come in at 5:30pm “don’t worry a PVD will take the rest of your work out and finish it”
Not gonna happen 😂

Thebrownblob

No the purpose of 22.4 was always to pay drivers less. The union just had ups put they can work inside to sell it to us employees. They knew ups never had any intentions to use them inside.
The purpose of the 22.4 was to cover Saturdays and possibly reduce overtime for RPCDs. Remember it was the union that foolishly suggested this. UPS being who they are has used it inappropriately and it really hasn’t helped them that much. I fully expect UPS to abuse PVDs this peak. hopefully it will be the last time.

Thebrownblob

They said PVDs ain’t happening and here we are. 😬

As long as I get 8 hours they can do whatever they want.
Remember O’Brien basically lost his job as the head negotiator, When he disagreed with Hoffa about allowing UPS to use PVDs. We would be in a much different place today had he negotiated the last contract.

Trucker Clock

You’ll be getting calls from management to come in at 5:30pm “don’t worry a PVD will take the rest of your work out and finish it”

Wrong. If they stick around after this contract, it will be peak only.

No the purpose of 22.4 was always to pay drivers less.

Wrong. You do realize the Union actually came up with the idea?

The union just had ups put they can work inside to sell it to us employees.

Wrong. UPS just exploited a clause in the contract, like they’re very good at doing.

Thebrownblob

$3,000 each X 90,000 delivery trucks? Do the math. You may get air-conditioning but you won't get big raises or anything else.. One or the other.
It’s really not worth it if we have to give up that much, you’re talking about a half a dozen weeks out of the year that are extremely hot. it’s already much more reasonable now temperature wise.