Barking dogs make me barking mad.

UPSmeoff

The other day i had a headache and while i was delivering it dawned on me that i listen to dogs barking all freaking day long.

Think about it.

You pull up to a house...honk the horn...dog starts barking...neighbors dogs start barking...dogs on the street over start barking.

Then when you go to the front door the dog is attacking the window next to the door doing who knows what kind of damage.

I love the people that have plexiglas front windows because their dogs have broken the glass.

I would be embarrassed if my dog behaved this way.

Have you ever seen the dog that gnaws on the door jam while your on the front porch?

I would love to have some peace and quiet.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The other day i had a headache and while i was delivering it dawned on me that i listen to dogs barking all freaking day long.

Think about it.

You pull up to a house...honk the horn...dog starts barking...neighbors dogs start barking...dogs on the street over start barking.

Then when you go to the front door the dog is attacking the window next to the door doing who knows what kind of damage.

I love the people that have plexiglas front windows because their dogs have broken the glass.

Have you ever seen the dog that gnaws on the door jam while your on the front porch?

Ever considered being the Maytag repairman in your town?

Raw

Raw Member
It`s fun to put your face right up to the window and see the dog try and bite your face off through the glass!:happy-very:

NHDRVR

I have this stop that puts their ankle-biters out in a small fenced-in area near the driveway. I always walk right up against the fence and watch the absolute frustration the little ****s have in not being able to bite my leg. Makes me happy...

finaddict

I absolutely loved dogs that went freakin' nuts when I delivered. I remember one little terrier that would lose his mind, eyes actually bulging out and shaking he hated me so much. They had a mail slot and anything that would fit in the mail slot I would put in just a tad and pull back out a few times while he got into a frenzy. Then I'd pop it hard enough so it'd shoot down the hall and he'd be all over that thing, packaging and contents flying. :happy-very:Oh, the days....

Stran

Holy Toledo
But have you ever seen a dog get so worked up that they jumped off a 2nd story porch??? I had one do that while I was out doing a safety ride. Thought it broke a leg when it landed in the grass. But it only took a second or two for it to start chaseing the driver I was out with. We made it back to the safety of the truck. I sometimes wonder if the dogs owners ever found their dog. Wish I had a movie camera!!!

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
This happened to me just recently. Knocked on front door no answer, doorbell inoperable. I decided to take it around to the back.

The weather was terrible that day and with no protection at the front at least there an awning over the back door.

Like the video of the driver throwing the package from 10 feet away, I tossed my package at the back door because it started to come down hard. That was when I heard a loud yelp. It was a vicious looking pit.

I looked to where my truck was and took off. I turned around to see something black and muscular coming after me (no sound). Made it to the gate and just noticed that although pits are vicious and mean, they aren't very fast (short legs).

I closed and locked the gate just as the dog jumped up and slammed into the gate at full speed. He suffered a cut on his nose which made it even madder. I stood there thinking if I was one or two seconds late this dog would've had me.

rod

Retired 22 years
I always enjoyed watching some mutt get so mad it would shred the curtains. The best one I ever heard of was the day a fellow UPS driver met a pickup coming the opposite direction on a 2 lane hwy. In the back was a dog that always went nuts when he saw the UPS truck. You guessed it- at 55mph (or more) this stupid dog launches itself out and commits suicide. :happy2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If barking dogs are a problem for you, then you picked the wrong line of work.

My dogs bark when someone knocks on my door, or if they hear a strange noise from the backyard. That is normal, healthy, instinctive dog behavior.

Dogs became "domesticated" over tens of thousands of years by developing a symbiotic relationship with early man. Early man hunted and then cooked and ate his kill around a fire. Dogs learned to follow man around and eat the bones and scraps that he discarded. Man learned that dogs would bark and alert them to nearby predators at night, so they began feeding the dogs in order to use them as an "alarm" system. Barking as a warning behavior is now hard-wired into the DNA of the modern domestic dog.

10,000 years later, I have a fat Basset hound sitting on my lap and snoring as I type these words into a computer screen from the comfort of my couch.

brownIEman

My dogs bark when someone knocks on my door, or if they hear a strange noise from the backyard. That is normal, healthy, instinctive dog behavior.

Dogs became "domesticated" over tens of thousands of years by developing a symbiotic relationship with early man. Early man hunted and then cooked and ate his kill around a fire. Dogs learned to follow man around and eat the bones and scraps that he discarded. Man learned that dogs would bark and alert them to nearby predators at night, so they began feeding the dogs in order to use them as an "alarm" system. Barking as a warning behavior is now hard-wired into the DNA of the modern domestic dog.

10,000 years later, I have a fat Basset hound sitting on my lap and snoring as I type these words into a computer screen from the comfort of my couch.

dogs are the best, plain and simple.

had a neighbor once who called in a noise complaint to the police on another neighbor who's dog barked a lot. He barked a lot because there was a lot of activity on the street. A cop came out, walked up near the fence, and the dog started barking, the cop walked away down the street, and the dog settled down. The cop did this a few times then went to the lady that had called in the complaint and told her "hey, this dog is just doing what dogs are supposed to do". Or as a wise man I know would call it - "Barkus Legitimus"

BTW, to the OP, you sure that headache is not from the engine noise and rattling of an old P10? That is more constant and just as loud in my experience...

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
This happened to me just recently. Knocked on front door no answer, doorbell inoperable. I decided to take it around to the back.

The weather was terrible that day and with no protection at the front at least there an awning over the back door.

Like the video of the driver throwing the package from 10 feet away, I tossed my package at the back door because it started to come down hard. That was when I heard a loud yelp. It was a vicious looking pit.

I looked to where my truck was and took off. I turned around to see something black and muscular coming after me (no sound). Made it to the gate and just noticed that although pits are vicious and mean, they aren't very fast (short legs).

I closed and locked the gate just as the dog jumped up and slammed into the gate at full speed. He suffered a cut on his nose which made it even madder. I stood there thinking if I was one or two seconds late this dog would've had me.

This can usually be avoided by call whistling loudly and rattling the gate for a few seconds and then waiting quietly for the paddy paddy pad of paws coming your way. I usually kill time by writing a note for the front door that pkg is on back porch. If their dog meets me I look for a safer place for me and the pkg. If this all fails I would not normally run as this triggers the "prey" response in all dogs. Instead turn and face the dog with your diad out for a block and possible chew toy, while backing toward gate slowly. Treats can also be a good distraction if available. All these have kept me bite free since I learned them along the way after being bitten by doing it the wrong way.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Wow, before reading this thread I thought I was the only one who enjoyed watching a customer's dog destroy their house. Oh, I would just love antagonizing the dog further as it ripped down blinds, curtains, and scratched up walls.

Ironically, I am a dog lover. It was the customers who aggravated me.

FORDMAN

Think about it.

FORDMAN

was going up to a house one time and heard a big thud. scared the crap out of me it was like cujo was trying to get out of that house. oh yeah and remember he wont bite. famous last words.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Fordman, let me give you a Brown Cafe 101 on quoting. If you wish to quote another post and reply to that quote, simply hit the "quote" button and then add your reply. You can also quote portions of a post by deleting the part that you don't wish to include. You can also have some fun and alter what has been posted but this can come back to bite you on the butt.

govols019

You smell that?

Nice history lesson. Still doesn't excuse owners that can't control their dogs.