Baseball HOF 2017 class

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just curious. Reasoning?
I view their transgressions as essentially equal.
Both hurt the image of Baseball in most fans minds.
Rose is more culpable than Bonds because his transgressions occurred when he was in a position of leadership as a manager.
Not much difference though.
I don't think either has any business in the HOF ... maybe the HOS.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
McGwire would have been a big hitter but really hard to say how good without the steroids
image.png

McGwire was a 40 home run guy before roids. He lost almost two full years of his prime to injury. Which that's the way it goes but he had big power even before he got all roided up.

Brownslave688

Another guy that managed to put up big numbers in the middle of the steroid era with no questions about roid use at all. Fred Mcgriff he deserves to be in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brownslave688

I'm pretty sure he was roided-up most of those years in Oakland.
He hit 49 hr as a rookie pretty sure he was not roided up yet. And if I recall right he first used them to come
Back from injury. So that would put him using them from 28-29 on.

His home run totals from 23-28 don't really raise any red flags. Now hitting 60-70 home runs in your mid 30's that don't happen without some help.

MAKAVELI

He hit 49 hr as a rookie pretty sure he was not roided up yet. And if I recall right he first used them to come
Back from injury. So that would put him using them from 28-29 on.

His home run totals from 23-28 don't really raise any red flags. Now hitting 60-70 home runs in your mid 30's that don't happen without some help.
Nope he used as far back as 89 pretty much throughout his whole career.
McGwire comes clean, admits steroids use
"I remember trying steroids very briefly in the 1989-1990 offseason and then after I was injured in 1993, I used steroids again," McGwire said in his statement. "I used them on occasion throughout the '90s, including during the 1998 season."

Brownslave688

Nope he used as far back as 89 pretty much throughout his whole career.
McGwire comes clean, admits steroids use
"I remember trying steroids very briefly in the 1989-1990 offseason and then after I was injured in 1993, I used steroids again," McGwire said in his statement. "I used them on occasion throughout the '90s, including during the 1998 season."
That's pretty much what I said. All I said was he obviously had some natural power which he did.

While Big Mac had big power that's about all he had. He was a so so fielder and not much of a hitter for average.

MAKAVELI

That's pretty much what I said. All I said was he obviously had some natural power which he did.

While Big Mac had big power that's about all he had. He was a so so fielder and not much of a hitter for average.
No that's not what you said we'll never know whether that natural power would have amounted to many 40-plus home run seasons because he was Juiced up almost his entire career.

Brownslave688

My buddy who lifts a lot and has done a fair amount of roids says HGH is where it's at now anyway and none of the leagues test for it I don't think.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Bonds, Rose, Clemens. In the modern era the best at their craft. How about we just open a wing in the HOF that has all the "cheaters" and label it as such.