Basic Question

sano

UPS basic is how the drivers could become a thing of the past. UPS could become a sort for the USPS

Ha, and I thought my mail carrier was grumpy. She would be downright homicidal if they filled her minivan with pottery barn, and frontgate boxes.:happy-very:

One day last week, I delivered 4 fairly large boxes to a post office, they were not basic packages. On the side of the box was lettering that read, " POSTMASTER- open immediately- This box contains multiple individual deliveries". Other than that I have no idea if each of the multiple deliveries inside the boxes had USPS postage on them or not.

bad company

semi-pro
One day last week, I delivered 4 fairly large boxes to a post office, they were not basic packages. On the side of the box was lettering that read, " POSTMASTER- open immediately- This box contains multiple individual deliveries". Other than that I have no idea if each of the multiple deliveries inside the boxes had USPS postage on them or not.

I had a delivery like yours to my post office about a month or so ago. I asked them what it was, and they told me it was boxes full of mail. Bulk mail/advertising with postage paid.

pkgman001

Basic used to be 5 lbs max, then UPS raised the weight.
It used to be Smalls Sort only, had to fit thru the opening on a coat hanger. Then they raised the size.
It used to be "Super Rural" zips only. Then they added the "Rural" zips. Now it's more than 23,000 zips. I have the zip code list if anyone wants it.
Then they added "PO Box" service, even if the customer has a home address-who doesn't have a home address? So now Basic packages go to every zip code in the US.
It used to be offered to only non-UPS shippers, but now they offer it anybody who wants it, current UPS customer or not. UPS says it';s "new business". It's many cases it's not. The UPS sales rep will even show them how to do it. You "switch" to FedEx for a couple of months and then switch back to UPS. Now guess what? They can get now get Basic! It's "new" businesses.
Basic shipments have grown over 40% per year in the last two years!
So UPS charges $2.40 for a "regular" ground shipment to a home for resi, plus another $2.65 if it's rural, on top of a the regular charge. Then the shipper says "that's too expensive". So UPS says, "fine, you can use Basic." UPS has Basic for one reason-it makes UPS more money.
At this rate, ALL the packages are going to qualify for Basic. And with DHL going out of business, where is a lot of that business going to go? Yeah, you guessed it, most of it has already gone to Basic, or is about to!
1 in 3 Basic pkgs are delivered by USPS. It used to be 1 in 5. Pretty soon it will be 1 in 2.

Hawk780

No One in Particular
The answer to the 1-5lb question lies in the pricing. UPS prices the packages for 1-5lbs significantly lower than ground rates. However, if Basic service is chosen for a package above 6lbs, the rate increases dramatically, it's actually above ground rates, so it's financially irresponsible to send anything over 5lbs basic, and UPS recoups it's revenue if that were to happen.

bears2

just be glad you have a job to deliver a package. millions out there would take less an work harder just to have a full-time job at ups

BigBrownSanta

just be glad you have a job to deliver a package. millions out there would take less an work harder just to have a full-time job at ups

That all sounds good, but I've worked with some of those people and I remember many of them disappearing at break time never to be seen again.

Most have big dreams (illusions) before they start, but once they actually see the work they have to do to get that full time job, their minds change quickly.

There may be millions lined up to take my job, but not too many will take the journey it takes to get my job, and of those, few will actually finish the journey.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That all sounds good, but I've worked with some of those people and I remember many of them disappearing at break time never to be seen again.

Most have big dreams (illusions) before they start, but once they actually see the work they have to do to get that full time job, their minds change quickly.

There may be millions lined up to take my job, but not too many will take the journey it takes to get my job, and of those, few will actually finish the journey.

excellent post santa. 100% true.