beat this

iruhnman630

AH yes, so many claim BS.

Really simple. Got back to the center that night at 8ish, wife already at center waiting to pick me up for an anniversary celebration with her folks. As I was the Jr driver at the time, I had to go cover a pickup almost an hour from the building. Somehow the information was called into the building, but never forwarded to the dispatch sup.

So I went. Hawkins Co Press. I tried to hurry, but to no avail. If I remember correctly, it was almost 5,000 packages that were left behind. The last 150 or so had to fit into the cab, as the rear of the package car was maxed out.

Funny thing about those old 8's, when they are that full, max speed in the mountains going uphill is second if you are lucky, first mostly.

The midnight shift had already gone, only one left was the sup. They were a little steamed as I missed the sorts, but hey, I did call three times while I was waiting for them to bring another pallet of packages. I can tell you the exact date it happened as well, because I still have the warning letter.

So, cry BS all you want, and there were several times I have been out past 11:30-12 delivering. Thats what happens when they tell you to dont have any missed and be clean before you get back. Also, most happened before the 90's.

d

For some strange reason I actually believe this could have happened back in the day. Not today though.

5,000??! Even if those are letters, that is outrageous.

Btw I was once sent out to do a pickup at 9:00 because I was the last driver in that night and the only driver available.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
AT the time, I was not the lowest in seniority, I was the lowest still on the clock.

Packages were about a half inch thick. STacked nice. Car drove like a tank. I guarantee I was way over weight.

Monday morning they had me in the office for changing my time card. It seemed that my initials were next to a mark through the time card stamp, with other time written in. That was the first time that I ever had proof that management changed time cards. The sup that did it was promoted to loss prevention.

AT the time we were also on bonus. Until they changed the package count, I did very well. It seems that they wanted to count it 10 for one. Again, it is whatever they want to paint it.

When I got home, wife was still up. Interesting thing, a furious woman over being stood up on her aniversary.......

d

upsgrunt

Danny,
What was the planned day before they coded out the pickup pieces? I once had a pickup where I loaded 400- 40 pound packages and management wanted to code them 10 for 1, but never did. I remember that package car squatted so bad the rear wheels were almost rubbing; the steering sure worked better after that pickup though!

packageguy

I did a pick up, about 6000 air packages in a 24 foot truck. Our local sort
could not handle it, they ask me if I could bring it to airport, I said no
problem, I get there they had call outs, I could not leave, I had to unload
it myself. I worked 13 1/2 hours. they were pissed off.
They added my hours to the next day.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
What was the planned day before they coded out the pickup pieces? I once had a pickup where I loaded 400- 40 pound packages
I dont remember, not in my notes either, so I guess it really didnt matter.

As a rookie I went down there once. Loaded a bunch of heavys in the rear. Never gave it much thought until I went through the security gate. Front wheels came off the ground at least a foot. Learned a lot those first several years, all by experience.

d

menotyou

bella amicizia
When I was on air driver, I started at 3:15am. One day I didn't punch out til 7:45pm. Air drivers didn't count as on-road back then. Go grab 30 or so stops each off several drivers so they could get in under 12. It was 102 degrees that day. Had to be back at building at 3:15am next morning to head to airport. God, did that morning suck.

Couldn't get away with that now.

Love the newbie story. Will have to relay that one. LOL!!

screamin chicken

I can tell you this a whole new ball game now.i am at 20 yrs. now and my first 16 yrs. I was never in trouble, never had a warning letter, and now in the last 4 yrs i have had 3 3 day suspensions in which I never served, 2 warning letters, and now I have a Work Termination. I am always above and beyond when it comes to doing my job, usually the one with the most work 1, 2 one back everyday and my stops per hr was amazing. As soon as I make i mistake bam they go to the extreme, so I will as of now put the ball back into there court, I'm done......

menotyou

bella amicizia
Our preload at one time had 14 employees and 12 were on Art 7 termination. (I was not one)

In my opinion, they are trying to get everyone on it before 2013. I think its a planned bargaining tool.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
"July 24th, 1987"
danny boy

I was 12 years old. just a perspective thought. Was a good year for me but one of the worst for you.:funny:

Re-Raise

"July 24th, 1987"
danny boy

I was 12 years old. just a perspective thought. Was a good year for me but one of the worst for you.:funny:

I was married the next day July 25th, 1987. Still married to the same beautiful woman with two great daughters.. also beautiful... so it was a great year for me also.

The 24th is kind of a blur.. what is the statute of limitations for public intoxication?

upsgrunt

I had 11 months in at UPS and, of course, knew everything. It's amazing how much I've learned in the last 25 years.

DS

Fenderbender
Lollollol....... A post from "Sealbasher" titled 'Beat this'!!!!

Welcome back and pick up the pace!

I just had a nice long chat with the basher on the phone.
I'll try to speak for him in his internet absence.
He got screwed in the recent "virtual time study"
The driver covering for him on that particular day,did not
even attempt deliveries to several apartment buildings but
simply sheeted them as ni1.He had 21 send agains and the
die was cast. His pickup log is brutal,and with oncalls,its next to impossible to even consider taking the time to do that resi you just drove by.

He has had a sore knee that he hoped to work through,but finally went to the Dr. and he has note from him saying he can not work temporarily.
He gets an ultrasound Tuesday.

Sealbasher is a by the methods driver.
He does not deserve the crap they are giving him.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am having a hard time grasping the 4am.....

However, if true, there is no way in hell I would be out at 4am.

I have delivered packages at 11:30 at night. And I will never do it again. Knocking on doors and walking down dark driveways at 11:30 at night is a good way to get shot, and it is unprofessional and unsafe.

menotyou

bella amicizia
die was cast. His pickup log is brutal,and with oncalls,its next to impossible to even consider taking the time to do that resi you just drove by.

He has had a sore knee that he hoped to work through,but finally went to the Dr. and he has note from him saying he can not work temporarily.

I feel for him and understand how evil some managers are. Please give him my best wishes for speedy justice. I have no problem believing that they target people who dare to do the right thing.

sealbasher

got an mri on the 29 of june,dont think ill ever go back,id rather work at mcdonalds for less money and stress

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I know the virtual time study on my route was a big flaw. Most run late on bulky days. Some run early or scratch, I applaud them. We now have telematics, so we will see how it is when I get back. Ive been off a month due to a car accident on my own time, (not my fault) .
It is sad when a good employee gets pushed out the door, because of stress. I do see how that could happen, but I cannot let it happen to me. Pretty sad when you being injured is almost more desirable than working. It was not always this way, and I dont see how UPS remains one of the most admired, when so many, .......................well you fill in the blanks.