Becoming a driver!!!?

Southwestern

Ok, since we're expressing opinions... *I* think that pure time-based wait list is non-sense. Save that for Black Friday line waiting.

Since you're no longer employed by UPS, you'll have to excuse us if we fail to consider your opinion.

Most of the insider's waiting to drive:
a) have UPS driving experience (seasonal, air driving, Saturday, etc.)
b) are familiar with UPS's operations
c) are making significantly more than their potential replacement (especially in the first 12-18 mo., when benefits are not provided)
d) are part-time sups attempting to go into full-time management

In most situations, it's less of a risk -- and a financial advantage -- to move the part-timers than it is to add an outsider.

I work in a building that houses three centers (for drivers at least) under one roof and hundreds of part-timers, so I acknowledge that there are likely smaller centers with part-timers disinterested -- or not able to qualify for -- driving.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
The ratio used to be 2:1, then it went to 3:1 and now is 6:1 which tells me that UPS recognized that PTers who have paid their dues should be given consideration over an outside hire. Truth be told, I don't know why there is even an outside hire provision in the contract unless, of course, they want the most qualified person for the position.

Agreed.

I think there was a time & place for the outside ratio & have nothing against the ones we have from past times, but that time has past.

Outsiders can take the newly available inside or part time air positions that are created after an insider gets the full time bid.
@ least as it stands with 2days line up of UPSers.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Since you're no longer employed by UPS, you'll have to excuse us if we fail to consider your opinion.

Most of the insider's waiting to drive:
a) have UPS driving experience (seasonal, air driving, Saturday, etc.)
b) are familiar with UPS's operations
c) are making significantly more than their potential replacement (especially in the first 12-18 mo., when benefits are not provided)
d) are part-time sups attempting to go into full-time management

In most situations, it's less of a risk -- and a financial advantage -- to move the part-timers than it is to add an outsider.

I work in a building that houses three centers (for drivers at least) under one roof and hundreds of part-timers, so I acknowledge that there are likely smaller centers with part-timers disinterested -- or not able to qualify for -- driving.

Even with that we should still make those positions available to other center Employee's to qualify and transfer!!

It would also benifit the center they transfered from cause now there is 1 less person in line there as well!

upsgrunt

Ok, since we're expressing opinions... *I* think that pure time-based wait list is non-sense. Save that for Black Friday line waiting.

You think; I'm sure your opinion would be different if you were the one waiting and a six week wonder bumped you for a job you wanted.