Becoming PT Sup

drewed

Shankman
it varies a lot from location to location the way our wages are figured are about to change... ballpark id say youd probably make the 20k mark

drewed

Shankman
Thats your opinion, ask your pt sups and see what they say.
I work with a lot of great people (well mostly lol) so it makes the job easier. It also depends on what kind of personality you have, I have a really laid back lets get it done atittude and both upper management and hourlies respond well to it. But if your going to get stressed out and yell all the time your hourlies are going to hate you do a bad job and upper management will not help you out when you need it.

KidUPS

Be fair. Be strong. And hold your employees accountable from the very beginning. Holding your employees accountable on attendance is the foundation of a good supervisor. Simply put, if you don't, you are letting go a valuable tool in your arsenal of getting employees to work. If you show your employees that you care about your operation and speak to them with courtesy and firm voice, you should be alright. Make sure you hold them accountable on safety, production etc. too from the beginning. If you don't, and then try to hold them accountable all of a sudden 5 months down the line, you will meet a lot of resistance.

On the salary scale, anywhere from 1400 to 1900 a month if I am not mistaken? Possibly depends on how long you been there/operation. Not to sure on that one.

Oh, and the OT is pretty good after 27.5.

Be fair. Be strong. And hold your employees accountable from the very beginning. Holding your employees accountable on attendance is the foundation of a good supervisor. Simply put, if you don't, you are letting go a valuable tool in your arsenal of getting employees to work. If you show your employees that you care about your operation and speak to them with courtesy and firm voice, you should be alright. Make sure you hold them accountable on safety, production etc. too from the beginning. If you don't, and then try to hold them accountable all of a sudden 5 months down the line, you will meet a lot of resistance.

On the salary scale, anywhere from 1400 to 1900 a month if I am not mistaken? Possibly depends on how long you been there/operation. Not to sure on that one.

Oh, and the OT is pretty good after 27.5.

Be man enough to hold yourself accountable also and you`ll be suprised at the respect that will generate.

705red

Browncafe Steward
The first question is what are your long term goals in life?

If you want to drive for ups down the road this is not a good option for you, due to the 6 for 1 ratio. (thats 6 union employees that move up by seniority out of every 7 openings.

If you plan on moving up in management also another bad choice, unless of course your not white and straight. Ups prides its self on being an E.O.E which sucks to watch someone else get promoted before you because of their skin color, sexual preference etc.

I just said what everyone else already knows, so flame away!

UPS Lifer

What do part-time Sups make per year? I am an unloader about to be one and I am quite curious.

It is very interesting that you say you are about to be one but you don't know how much a PT supervisor makes?????

I really question the common sense in that one! LOL!

W

westsideworma

It is very interesting that you say you are about to be one but you don't know how much a PT supervisor makes?????

lifer you'd be surprised it was practically kept under lock and key from me til right up until they were ready to make me a supe. I basically had to say hold up, I'm not doing anything til I see what my pay and benefits will be. I finally got it but its like they thought I figured they were going to screw me, they almost seemed offended that I wanted to know lol. That of course wasn't the case, I won't take any job without knowing those things first, who in their right mind would?

DS

Fenderbender
I dont know why anyone would want to be a pt sup.More headaches than its worth.why take all that grief for beer money unless you are bored or supplementing your real job.Plus what red said about realizing driving pays a lot better and having to wait forever to get it if you ever do get the chance.JMHO

IDoLessWorkThanMost

We have a new P/T sup that literally went into management to get out of doing union work. I am not blaming the individual for that mindset, some are not cut out for it, some to better themselves by reducing the wear and stress on the body, some desperately need the few extra bucks...etc etc. I don't think it's a common sense thing in this case, more likely it's a "the grass must be greener on the other side, because it's brown on this side" type deal.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The first question is what are your long term goals in life?

If you want to drive for ups down the road this is not a good option for you, due to the 6 for 1 ratio. (thats 6 union employees that move up by seniority out of every 7 openings.

If you plan on moving up in management also another bad choice, unless of course your not white and straight. Ups prides its self on being an E.O.E which sucks to watch someone else get promoted before you because of their skin color, sexual preference etc.

I just said what everyone else already knows, so flame away!

and that is the truth.