Being Moved around unfairly (On Topic)

542thruNthru

Oh BA at our last union meeting “I don’t take grievances during peak. The company can do whatever they want to get the job done”

That's ridiculous. People need to start getting in your President/Sec Treasurer ass about that guy. Charges need to start being filed.

He doesn't even attempt to follow the contract.

NerdGirl

So, I’m an unloader at UPS and I wanted to know we’re there any rules where I can prevent the supervisors and management from moving me from my assigned area. I have the most seniority on my side and people who come late are often the ones taking my place.
I would think it would be a good thing to be cross-trained into another area. Then when you want to pick up hours and make extra bucks especially during peak season or even non-peak season because people just don't show up you would have the ability to do so. I would save your grievances for something that actually matters instead of being nitpicky.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
It really depends on your local area whether or not you have any kind of work area protections.
Almost everywhere you can pick up extra work in a shift (send a lower seniority employee home) within reason, less likely you have language protecting a certain job task (preload, unload, load, etc.) and even less likely that you are protected working a certain specific area.

Look for job classifications and "prior past practice" in any spots of your local contract to get a better picture of where they can and cannot use you.

Days

We have been told that the preload has no bid jobs and can move you where ever the company needs you.

There is. It’s literally in the national

It is called Working as Directed.

They will throw your grievance in the trash.

Load and unload aren't skilled positions so they can move you wherever they need to.

I don’t think it needs to be a skilled position.

Part-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority shall have the right to place their name on the list of employees waiting to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such pre- ferred jobs shall include, but not be limited to: Preload, Sorter, Clerical, Irregular Train, Designated Responder, Carwasher, Load- er and Unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any
- 72 -
Article 22
specific unit, load or workstation unless a prior past practice has been established.
Part-time employees with less than six (6) months seniority shall have the right to bid a preferred job prior to the Employer hiring from off-the-street.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Just bomb whatever other work they give you until the put you back on your preferred spot.
If it's load and you want to unload, pretend you have OCD and perfectly square up everything real slowly.
If it's unload and you want to load, pretend you have OCD and sort the packages by zip code as you put them on the belt.

Poop Head

Judge me.
So, I’m an unloader at UPS and I wanted to know we’re there any rules where I can prevent the supervisors and management from moving me from my assigned area. I have the most seniority on my side and people who come late are often the ones taking my place.
Have you openly urinated around this work area? If not, I'd start there

D

Deleted member 77202

I know how you feel.
I have more seniority than most of the other preloaders in my building and wondered if I could choose where and/or what particular job I wanted to do in the area of the building that I work in.

Just by coincidence, as I was skimming through the new union book, I saw a section on that very issue.
It said something about the employee with more seniority could request a specific job and, if necessary, put their name on a waiting list to perform that job.
So, I asked the driver in my building (who is our Local's representative for our building only) about the section I read and told him the specific job I wanted.

He went and discussed it with the Supervisor, and the Supervisor told him that our building just doesn't do it that way and never has or will. Supervisor said he, and he alone, decides who will work where and do what in HIS building.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that even though it's written in the union procedures book, each building's Supervisor can run things (within reason) the way they want to.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I know how you feel.
I have more seniority than most of the other preloaders in my building and wondered if I could choose where and/or what particular job I wanted to do in the area of the building that I work in.

Just by coincidence, as I was skimming through the new union book, I saw a section on that very issue.
It said something about the employee with more seniority could request a specific job and, if necessary, put their name on a waiting list to perform that job.
So, I asked the driver in my building (who is our Local's representative for our building only) about the section I read and told him the specific job I wanted.

He went and discussed it with the Supervisor, and the Supervisor told him that our building just doesn't do it that way and never has or will. Supervisor said he, and he alone, decides who will work where and do what in HIS building.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that even though it's written in the union procedures book, each building's Supervisor can run things (within reason) the way they want to.
Does your supplement allow you to choose preferred jobs, or actual positions within those jobs?

Because if it is the latter, then you absolutely need to talk to your BA. Some little dictator wannabe doesn't get to overrule our contract.

PT Car Washer

Does your supplement allow you to choose preferred jobs, or actual positions within those jobs?

Because if it is the latter, then you absolutely need to talk to your BA. Some little dictator wannabe doesn't get to overrule our contract.
Where does past practice fall into play on this arrangement?

Shiftless

Section 3 is correct! Seniority Prevails!

More importantly learn how to "WAD" Work As Directed!

That doesn't just mean do what they say!

It also means work the methods your taught about safety and handling of packages! If you work as taught and learn how to use that as one of the tools in your skill sets, I guarantee you can work anywhere you want with your seniority!!! They absolutely struggle with people doing what they are suppose to! Don't forget to smile and enjoy the job either!

OR? They will walk all over you! This is the real world, quit crying on the internet!